The Student Room Group

Muslim women 'stopped from becoming councillors'

(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

OP are you deliberately being deceptive with your thread title?
It's Labour - what do you expect, It's leader is a ****ing communist
Oh noes poor Labour is in a seriously tough spot - respect Islamic values or gender equality...
Original post by carlskep
Oh noes poor Labour is in a seriously tough spot - respect Islamic values or gender equality...

Any guesses as to which side the MP for Birmingham will fall on?
Question Time.
An advocate for gay rights was told: "This is un-Islamic. Leave that for white people."

By their same standard, participating in democratic governance (or any un-Islamic governance) is un-Islamic, "Western" and "for white people".
Original post by Mathemagicien
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35504185

"A Muslim women's group has written to Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn claiming women have been stopped from becoming councillors by Muslim men in the party."

One said: "They spread this slander about me... It's the way they get to you."

Another said she was told by Labour members "Islam and feminism aren't compatible".

An advocate for gay rights was told: "This is un-Islamic. Leave that for white people." And many spoke of being criticized for being too Westernized.

Thoughts?

I don't see why anyone would expect any different. This position is certainly consistent with what we know of Islamic values.
Original post by CUT THE BULL
Any guesses as to which side the MP for Birmingham will fall on?
Question Time.

Which MP for Birmingham? There are 10..
Could those Muslim men (mentioned in the article) be possibly influenced by the Quran, Hadith and the consensus amongst scholars on what gender roles an ideal muslim woman should practice...
"..There is no dispute among the scholars that one of the conditions of the imaam, leader (judge, positions of leadership and government) is that he should be male..."

https://islamqa.info/en/3285
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Emperor Trajan
Could those Muslim men (mentioned in the article) be possibly influenced by the Quran, Hadith and the consensus amongst scholars on what gender roles an ideal muslim woman should practice...

Stop cherrypicking some verses to give a bad name to Islam! Stop taking some sentences out of context! You know nothing about Islam anyway. It is a religion that respect women. They are like angels. etc........
Lol not surprising given the nonces that try to be councillors in my area - from all parties
Original post by KimKallstrom

What's deceptive?
They are Muslims and there are people trying to stop them from becoming councillors.
Original post by caravaggio2
What's deceptive?
They are Muslims and there are people trying to stop them from becoming councillors.

By other muslims... It's not like "islamophobia" is stopping them, just sexism from those who share their religion.
"Islamic Feminism"

Original post by Emperor Trajan

Ngl that islamqa site really scares me...to think that people are being advised with crap like that
Original post by enaayrah
Ngl that islamqa site really scares me...to think that people are being advised with crap like that

Will I go on a list if I look at it?
Original post by KimKallstrom

:laugh: If it was discrimination from non-Muslims, people would be all over this thread.
Original post by enaayrah

It's a favourite among TSR I-SOC I remember even a moderator here was quoting it for advice
Original post by Mathemagicien
Will I go on a list if I look at it?

If you take the advice literally...

Original post by Dara Dahl
It's a favourite among TSR I-SOC I remember even a moderator here was quoting it for advice

So much for moderate from a moderator...
Original post by carlskep
By their same standard, participating in democratic governance (or any un-Islamic governance) is un-Islamic, "Western" and "for white people".

Not true.

"But as for the one who nominates himself or nominates others in this system in order to join the parliament and enjoin good and forbid evil, and establish proof against them, and reduce its evil and corruption as much as he can, so that people of corruption and disbelievers in Allaah will not have free rein to spread mischief in the land and spoil people’s worldly interests and religious commitment, this is a matter that is subject to ijtihaad, according to the interests that it is hoped will be served by that.

Some scholars are even of the view that getting involved in these elections is obligatory."

https://islamqa.info/en/107166

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending