The Student Room Group

What to do

I 'm currently in my first year at Durham and not really enjoying it. I find the course dull and I'm getting very low and having frequent panic attacks which I feel are hindering my experience. Durham itself as a place is getting me down as it's very small and has limited opportunities. I still try and keep busy however -I play for a sports team and write for the newspaper. I have found a great course at Kings College London and I love the energy of London and its centrality. I don't know whether to drop out now, go home and try to sort myself out mentally or to persevere in the hope that things pick up. Any advice is appreciated!
You should speak to your personal tutor and/ or an academic advisor at your university. It will help talking it through with someone there to fully understand what it is you dislike and whether or not it is salvageable.

if you truly don't want to continue with the course though then you may want to consider dropping out, especially if you want to pursue another course. You only have 1 grace year with student finance to change your mind about a course or repeat a year and still be fully funded, so keep that in mind. Otherwise if you end up dropping out in second or third year you will have a very hard time financially trying to get back into university. And remember if you do drop out don't rush into a new course if you are not 100% sure, you don't want to make the same mistake again, especially as this time round you won't have a second chance with student finance. There is nothing wrong with taking some time out of education to sort your head out and figure out what you want if that is what is needed.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by SophieSmall
You should speak to your personal tutor and/ or an academic advisor at your university. It will help talking it through with someone there to fully understand what it is you dislike and whether or not it is salvageable.

if you truly don't want to continue with the course though then you may want to consider dropping out, especially if you want to pursue another course. You only have 1 grace year with student finance to change your mind about a course or repeat a year and still be fully funded, so keep that in mind. Otherwise if you end up dropping out in second or third year you will have a very hard time financially trying to get back into university. And remember if you do drop out don't rush into a new course if you are not 100% sure, you don't want to make the same mistake again, especially as this time round you won't have a second chance with student finance. There is nothing wrong with taking some time out of education to sort your head out and figure out what you want if that is what is needed.

Thank you, yeah I have contacted and spoken to literally every person in the university and ultimately it is my choice I am just really struggling to know what to do. No one has given any clear idea of what to do as they don't want to take it away from being my choice. All I know is that I am very unhappy but I am scared of making a decision I will regret.
Original post by Maisyf1
Thank you, yeah I have contacted and spoken to literally every person in the university and ultimately it is my choice I am just really struggling to know what to do. No one has given any clear idea of what to do as they don't want to take it away from being my choice. All I know is that I am very unhappy but I am scared of making a decision I will regret.

Because it is entirely your choice, you're the one who has to make this decision because it is your life.

Maybe do a pros and cons list? Whichever choice you make you could end up regretting it, so go with the one you think you will least likely regret?
Reply 4
Original post by SophieSmall
Because it is entirely your choice, you're the one who has to make this decision because it is your life.

Maybe do a pros and cons list? Whichever choice you make you could end up regretting it, so go with the one you think you will least likely regret?

Yeah I have been going back and forth. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience of either being a student in London or they knew someone who had left their first uni to go elsewhere and whether they had regretted it.
Original post by Maisyf1
Yeah I have been going back and forth. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience of either being a student in London or they knew someone who had left their first uni to go elsewhere and whether they had regretted it.

You could post in the london university forums to ask about london students.

As for getting responses from people who left their first course and started another you can either wait for replies on here or create a more specific thread with a thread title that lets people know what it is about. You'll be more likely to get replies from people with the same experiences if they know the thread is aimed at them.
Hi! What's your course? I had the same problem too when I entered into college and the first thing that came to my mind is dropping the major subjects and just leave the minor ones because I decided to switch course. That's my reaction at first but I learned to love it as time moved on. Long-story short, I gave it a chance first and thank heavens I liked it. Maybe you should just give it a chance, if it still doesn't work then don't take it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending