The Student Room Group

English Essay Tips

Hello fellow TSR users!

Does anyone have any good tips to achieve a high grade in essays, since I am struggling to get above an A. Any help given is much appreciated!
Reply 1
1. Write well (make sure that it flows well and isn't stilted, and make sure to write in a formal and mature manner)
2. JUSTIFY YOUR POINTS (whatever you are arguing, make sure to justify it with a quote, give maybe a literary device used in that quote specifically and then say what the effect is and why. Finally link it back to your original point.)
3. Give a counter opinion (if you can argue a counter example to what you have previously been arguing, then this shows you to be a strong English student. Make sure to justify whether or not you agree with it, which you can do by giving other examples that support or go against this. Then think what effect this has on what you were previously arguing. It doesn't necessarily have to prove your initial arguments wrong, it could slightly alter what you initially argued. e.g. say you argue that a character is presented as selfish, you have a lot of evidence to support that they are, but you have some counterexamples. You could instead argue that they are primarily presented as selfish, but implied to also be inherently selfless.)

Hope that this helps when writing a A and above in your essays. It has certainly helped me to achieve this.
Reply 2
Original post by Trudi98
1. Write well (make sure that it flows well and isn't stilted, and make sure to write in a formal and mature manner)
2. JUSTIFY YOUR POINTS (whatever you are arguing, make sure to justify it with a quote, give maybe a literary device used in that quote specifically and then say what the effect is and why. Finally link it back to your original point.)
3. Give a counter opinion (if you can argue a counter example to what you have previously been arguing, then this shows you to be a strong English student. Make sure to justify whether or not you agree with it, which you can do by giving other examples that support or go against this. Then think what effect this has on what you were previously arguing. It doesn't necessarily have to prove your initial arguments wrong, it could slightly alter what you initially argued. e.g. say you argue that a character is presented as selfish, you have a lot of evidence to support that they are, but you have some counterexamples. You could instead argue that they are primarily presented as selfish, but implied to also be inherently selfless.)

Hope that this helps when writing a A and above in your essays. It has certainly helped me to achieve this.

Thanks a lot, Trudi, and hopefully this will help me achieve higher grades in my essays!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending