The Student Room Group

Halls or private housing as a nursing student?

Hi!

I'll hopefully be doing nursing as a second degree at the age of 24 in September.

KCL and Kingston are the uni's I'm hoping to get offers from (grad entry for KCL and UG for Kingston) - but I'm now starting to think of where to live?

I'll be turning 25 in my first year wherever I end up, and while I'm not a proper 'mature student' - and people don't believe my age ☺️ - I'm not sure if I can do halls a second time around (messy kitchen, halls drama etc).

Basically I'd like to hear from anyone who has been or who is in a similar situation! I'm tempted to go into a private house share, but halls could be ok for a year to get to know fellow student nurses? Help! 😁 x
Reply 1
I'm 31, and will be 32 if I get a place this September. I'm not even contemplating halls, as it sounds like overpriced hell to me. However, I think my position on halls would depend on whether the uni puts all the nursing students in one hall or not. I think living with a lot of others going through the same heavy workload would be more acceptable than being the only student nurse in a flat of 8.
[QUOTE=HFBS;62722885]I'm 31, and will be 32 if I get a place this September. I'm not even contemplating halls, as it sounds like overpriced hell to me. However, I think my position on halls would depend on whether the uni puts all the nursing students in one hall or not. I think living with a lot of others going through the same heavy workload would be more acceptable than being the only student nurse in a flat of 8.

Thanks for your reply! With KCL, they don't seem to have exclusive nursing student housing and the accommodation they do have is SO expensive (I know it's London, but come on 😕). Kingston on the other hand do have flats that are just for nursing students - which is ideal and not bad priced at all!

Any other KCL or London-based nursing students around? Would be great to hear what you do/plan to do!
Original post by thtgreeneyedgirl
Hi!

I'll hopefully be doing nursing as a second degree at the age of 24 in September.

KCL and Kingston are the uni's I'm hoping to get offers from (grad entry for KCL and UG for Kingston) - but I'm now starting to think of where to live?

I'll be turning 25 in my first year wherever I end up, and while I'm not a proper 'mature student' - and people don't believe my age ☺️ - I'm not sure if I can do halls a second time around (messy kitchen, halls drama etc).

Basically I'd like to hear from anyone who has been or who is in a similar situation! I'm tempted to go into a private house share, but halls could be ok for a year to get to know fellow student nurses? Help! 😁 x

I tried halls for my first two years of nursing and it was hell for both years (Having already had some time there, you'll know what it's like!). It depends what your university does, but mine never actually put the student nurses together. But don't worry about not getting to know people - you'll be spending so much time in lectures and on placement together that you will still be able to form good friendships, and will probably appreciate not having to go home to the same people you've been sat next to in a lecture all day! Plenty of people who didn't live in Halls in my cohort still made lots of friends. In fact, I was in the distinct minority living in Halls!

Halls were overpriced for me too, so for my final year my parents supported me financially a little more and I actually managed to live on my own for my final year. It was absolute bliss and I actually came away with the best grades of my degree - in the hardest year! But this was down to the fact I could sleep and study in peace. That made such a massive difference to my academic achievements.

I would advise private accommodation all the way. Get onto Spareroom.co.uk and try and find a nice professional single/couple who have a spare bedroom going cheap. Being a student nurse is more like an actual job than any other degree, and so if you share with professional people, they are more likely to understand and accommodate for this!

Sorry for such an essay of a reply. I always have so much to say about accommodation because of my experiences! Good luck and feel free to DM me for anymore advice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending