The Student Room Group

Reputation vs Ranking Graphic Design

What's more important? Out of my uni choices, some are higher than others in terms of employability statistics/satisfaction etc., yet others have international recognition that people call you crazy for rejecting.
Reply 1
Original post by marcsazy
What's more important? Out of my uni choices, some are higher than others in terms of employability statistics/satisfaction etc., yet others have international recognition that people call you crazy for rejecting.

What's more important is finding a course you like, at a university you like.

Everything else is fluff.

Future employers don't care which uni you went to

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jneill
What's more important is finding a course you like, at a university you like.

Everything else is fluff.

Future employers don't care which uni you went to

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you want to go into Banking, Finance and Law they most certainly do.
Reply 3
Original post by SmaugTheTerrible

Graphic Design. I've applied to Loughborough, Edinburgh, Glasgow School of Art, Southampton and Falmouth.
Reply 4

Firstly, OP hasn't said they want to. And most students don't go into those careers.

Secondly. "Reputation" isn't as important as you seem to think. There's no point doing a course you don't like, at a uni you don't want to be at. Even for a potential barrister or an IBer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

It's what you have to offer that matters far more, in terms of work experience and soft skills and in your case I would imagine the porfolio too. Go for the university you prefer.
Graphic Design. I've applied to Loughborough, Edinburgh, Glasgow School of Art, Southampton and Falmouth.

Any of those universities would be great - an international reputation doesn't count for much if you're unhappy or drop out or don't fulfil your potential because you spend your time struggling to motivate yourself to get out of bed.

Choose a university where you think you will thrive and that offers the sort of teaching, facilities and environment best suited to you.

What will get you jobs in GD will be your portfolio - so pick a course that you'll be able to produce your best work on.
Original post by jneill
Firstly, OP hasn't said they want to. And most students don't go into those careers.

Secondly. "Reputation" isn't as important as you seem to think. There's no point doing a course you don't like, at a uni you don't want to be at. Even for a potential barrister or an IBer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You made a blanket statement saying "Future employers don't care which uni you went to".

I merely corrected that statement by pointing out that in certain industries, the University you go to definitely does matter.
Reply 8
You made a blanket statement saying "Future employers don't care which uni you went to".

I merely corrected that statement by pointing out that in certain industries, the University you go to definitely does matter.

You can be a barrister or investment banker without going to a so-called target university.
Original post by jneill
You can be a barrister or investment banker without going to a so-called target university.

Of course. Let's not state the obvious. But in an ever competitive employment market, it's better to go to a more prestigious University.

Every little helps, as they say.
Of course. Let's not state the obvious. But in an ever competitive employment market, it's better to go to a more prestigious University.

Every little helps, as they say.

It's better to go to a university that you thrive at. Dropping out, being miserable or getting a very low classification from oxbridge isn't going to do anyone any favours.
Original post by PQ
It's better to go to a university that you thrive at. Dropping out, being miserable or getting a very low classification from oxbridge isn't going to do anyone any favours.

Again stating the obvious.

But more importantly, why do people on TSR seem to assume that you're automatically going to be more miserable at a higher ranked University. Tens of thousands of people are perfectly happy at their top ranked institutions.

A person can be equally miserable at a low ranked Uni, especially with the impending unemployment.
Again stating the obvious.

But more importantly, why do people on TSR seem to assume that you're automatically going to be more miserable at a higher ranked University. Tens of thousands of people are perfectly happy at their top ranked institutions.

A person can be equally miserable at a low ranked Uni, especially with the impending unemployment.

Are you deliberately missing the point to justify your unnecessary nitpicking?

People can be miserable at any university - which is why it should be the principle consideration when making decisions...not prestige.

And your implication that graduates from low ranked universities are destined for unemployment demonstrates a thorough misunderstanding of the graduate employment market.

Butting in. Which one is your firm?

As for OP, I think going to a uni you'd feel happy and comfortable at is more important than rankings and reputation.
But if you do consider these, then first pick unis you know or think you'd be happy at, and then compare.

Quick Reply

Latest