The Student Room Group

Oral exam issue- opinions needed

Hi guys :smile:
So I do Spanish and French (both AQA) for A2 and am predicted A*s in them. However, I also have profound hearing loss in one ear. As a result of this, because I partially rely on lip reading and people with intonations/pronunciations I'm used to, my school has said I can choose whether to have my oral with my class teacher OR with the visiting examiner like everyone else. However, they said to consider the following:
1, obviously with a visiting examiner I won't be used to their voice/lip patterns as much so if I'm having a bad hearing day my marks could suffer
But
2. The head of languages said that if I do it with my class teacher and it goes very well, then the marker will assume it is rehearsed and mark me right down!

Outside opinions wanted as I can't decide- both have pros and cons! What would you do if you were me!?
Reply 1
2. The marker should not be doing that, and if you ever suspect they do that then you would absolutely have a right to go and complain to the exam board.

You should opt for doing it with your teacher if you are used to their voice pattern.
Original post by Inexorably
2. The marker should not be doing that, and if you ever suspect they do that then you would absolutely have a right to go and complain to the exam board.

You should opt for doing it with your teacher if you are used to their voice pattern.

My head of languages said the same thing- they shouldn't do that but you can't shift the subconscious thought from their head and the impact it has. I originally wanted to do it with my class teacher but HoL put me off saying that with the marks I get (never gotten under 90%) I'm in a prime place to be marked down and shouldn't risk it :/
Reply 3
Personally I'd go with your teacher if that's what you're used to. I'd much rather you were able to understand exactly what you need to answer than getting a lower grade because you couldn't hear the question and so answered it incorrectly. Like everyone else has said, the exam board shouldn't mark you down and if you think that that happens you should definitely inquire about it. You're obviously really good at languages so I'd hate for you to get a grade that doesn't reflect that. As long as it doesn't sound rehearsed, like you're reciting it I don't see how they can mark you down. Hope you figure out what to do!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending