The Student Room Group

25 too late to start a musical theatre career?

Hello All,

I have always worked in performing arts whether it be a singer, dancer, circus artist or teacher. But i have started to realise that where i would love to be is in musical theatre. I am 25 years old at the moment and feel i need a few questions answered before i make a big decision to change my career path (no time wasters please).

1. Is 25 too late to start a musical theatre career?
2. Do you have to complete a credited course to achieve a respectable agent?
3. How many other performers at 5ft (give or take a couple of inches) get regular work within shows/cruises?

I welcome all relative and professional advice as these are all very important questions that need to be answered before i can make a very big decision in my life.
I appreciate your time and Thank you in advance for your help!

:smile:
Okay so...

1) If you have the ability to sing, act and perform then I would say it's never really too late. Some people follow this dream in their 40s and 50s, which is restricted on characters but possible to do. At 25 you can definitely still get your foot in the door and gain good roles

2) A credited course looks good, but isn't the be all and end all. To gain a good agent you will have to either personally audition for them or invite them to a show (courses are good for the latter as they are more likely to show up). If you feel like you would want this you could always apply for a year foundation or, if you have a BA already, go for a Masters at a top place such as RADA. You really really wouldn't be out of place as a mature student as many people who try straight from Secondary School have to apply on average 3 times. These courses only last a year so you wont have to worry about you age.
But as I mentioned, they are not necessary for you to have a career.

3) I cant answer this question in detail but I don't see how you're height would restrict your work or ability to get work.

Hope I've been able to help out a bit. Good Luck!
It's never too late to follow your dreams, go for it! Good luck! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending