The Student Room Group

Help please. My son needs merits.

My son is coming to the end of his two year BTEC Art, and wants to go on to do a Foundation Art course next year at another College. He needs M.M.P to get onto the next course. At the moment he has 4 merits, and 6 passes. His Tutor says he needs all merits until the end to get his M.M.P.

The problem he has is that he can't grasp how to get Merits. When he hands in an assignment, he always thinks he has done enough to get a merit, but it usually comes back as a pass. He is getting so down about it.

His Tutor says his Artwork is very good, but the written parts, putting the project together, content, and explanation for his work is not as it should be. He also says he is not allowed to tell him how to do it.

I am so worried about the next couple of months, and hate to see him struggling. Has anyone got any advice or tips for him? He's a bright lad, but he just can't grasp this!

Thank you.
I have dyslexia and therefore struggle with written work. I did a level 2 BTEC and achieved D* I then went onto do a level 3 and got a D*D*.

My advice would be to ask his teachers what they expect to find in the merit. Then when writing the merit add more than what is needed. Also ask the teacher to have a glance over it as when the teacher does this they can give you some tips in order to achieve the merit.

I would also go online and search for the marking scheme therefore you can add everything that is needed for his work. Tell him from me, work as hard as you can in college and you will be successful! I was only in college last year (now at university) and I worked my buttt off to achieve ALL distinctions in every assignment. My main tip is keep asking for advice/help search online for marking schemes.

I don't think I can give any other advice than whatever is in the merit do more than is expected. I remember when one of my college tutors expected way more than the marking scheme so I had to do triple what was needed in order to get the distinction.

Keep up the hard work and he will be good!
Reply 2
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I will look online at the marking scheme, hadn't thought of that. Great tip.
Congratulations on what you have achieved so far, and good luck for the future.
Thanks again :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending