The Student Room Group

Psychology: Depression and Schizophrenia

Hello, I'm doing AQA A and just started A2 last week. My teacher has only spent seven lessons covering schizophrenia and depression and now expects us to be able to answer questions on it next week and each do a presentation! We haven't even been issued Psychology textbooks or given any additional worksheets to help us along just class notes and own research and I'm am really really stuck! I'm hoping people will be able to recommend some really useful psychology textbooks or websites that will help me with finding enough information about explanations for schizophrenia and depression. Also I really don't understand the Biological approach at all, I don't do biology and am finding the brain biochemistry bit exceedingly difficult probably because we are going really fast. I will be grateful for any help.

: I also have to start planning my psychology coursework as summer homework. Any ideas will be useful, has anyone done anything based on Latane and Darley’s work on bystander behaviour. I won’t approach anything on conformity because of all the criticisms on most of the studies being unethical.

Thanks in advance

Melanie.
Reply 1
Everything you need to know in these two Doc's....
Reply 2
Hi Melanie :smile:

The notes from James will probably cover everything, but if you want some extra reference then "Psychology for A-level" by Clarkwell, Clark and Meldrum (published by Collins) is a brilliant text book and will tell you basically everything you need to know as it's written for the AQA specification. It's also got loads of coursework advice and stuff, and the biological explanations are straightforward enough to understand. Schizophrenia and depression info is still fresh in my mind from Wednesday's exam though so if you have any specific questions, post 'em up. My coursework was on the Stroop effect I'm afraid, but if you end up doing anything along those lines give me a shout :smile: Good luck with it al!
Reply 3
slowjamz
Hi Melanie :smile:

The notes from James will probably cover everything, but if you want some extra reference then "Psychology for A-level" by Clarkwell, Clark and Meldrum (published by Collins) is a brilliant text book and will tell you basically everything you need to know as it's written for the AQA specification. It's also got loads of coursework advice and stuff, and the biological explanations are straightforward enough to understand. Schizophrenia and depression info is still fresh in my mind from Wednesday's exam though so if you have any specific questions, post 'em up. My coursework was on the Stroop effect I'm afraid, but if you end up doing anything along those lines give me a shout :smile: Good luck with it al!

Thanks for the textbook recommendation, it sounds brilliant! I won’t use James W notes, they look like they’d be beneficial to me at revision stage or once I’ve understood the illnesses in detail but thank you anyway! I’m just stuck on how the brain biochemistry/structure explanation explains schizophrenia but I’ll be okay once I find that textbook!

I sound like I’m a little behind on my work, but my teachers are pushing me so hard it’s not fair! I have OCR A2 Biology exams next week (because I started A Level Chemistry during year 11), which they won’t take into consideration! But again thank you ever so much for your help! I wish I could rep you but I'm a new user and i'm gessing from the FAQ it'll amount to nothing). :frown: :smile:
Reply 4
Hey there... i used that textbook for my course...it is a good one to use, tho to be honest, u dont need to use it excessively... but thatb may be just me... revision guides are helpful so, if in doubt, use those... hm... i wudnt bother buying those "A2 in a week" ones tho, they are so rubbish(!)

And dont worry abt the bio side, i thought i wud find it hard cos i dont do bio and hate it tremendously but once u get ur head round it, its relatively straightforward. :smile:

As for cw... if you want an easy write-up, go for a memory test. Quite a few people did the Stroop test tho and some did effects of caffeine, perception etc.

Dont worry and best of luck for ur exams! :smile:

~*Skye*~
I used Psychology For A2 - Michael W. Eysenck and brought the Revise Key Topics book with it, the former had too much detail the latter condensed it somewhat. You could have a look at my A2 notes for depression and schizophrenia much more unnecessary detail compared to James :biggrin:
Reply 6
waiting2smile
I used Psychology For A2 - Michael W. Eysenck and brought the Revise Key Topics book with it, the former had too much detail the latter condensed it somewhat. You could have a look at my A2 notes for depression and schizophrenia much more unnecessary detail compared to James :biggrin:

Thanks Skye and waiting2smile. I did the presentation it went very well and got 24/30 on an AQA past question on schizophrenia. And now all my exams are over! Just have to get my A2 result in Chemistry and AS results on the 19th :biggrin:
little_melanie
Thanks Skye and waiting2smile. I did the presentation it went very well and got 24/30 on an AQA past question on schizophrenia. And now all my exams are over! Just have to get my A2 result in Chemistry and AS results on the 19th :biggrin:

That's perfectly alright :smile: Good luck with your studies and don't forget to invest in a good copy of 'Revise Key Topics' Diana Dwyer & Clare Charles - a lifesaver when it comes right up to the exam period.

Latest

Trending

Trending