The Student Room Group

RAF Interview research

I understand that information cannot be spoonfed. Can anyone recommend good research sites. Im trying to look for where the RAF aircraft are based around the UK but cannot find anything.

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by Mike373
I understand that information cannot be spoonfed. Can anyone recommend good research sites. Im trying to look for where the RAF aircraft are based around the UK but cannot find anything.

Thanks!

The RAF's site is your first port of call.

Any reason why that's not working for you?
Reply 2
Voters in Florida, Illinois, Missouri, North Carolina and Ohio cast crucial ballots in the race for the presidency on Tuesday. Here are some of the things we will be watching. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/16/us/politics/primary-elections-preview.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=a-lede-package-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0
Hey fella.....buy the RAF News. Its not rocket science, is it!
Reply 4
Use the RAF website bro! They only want to know
Where the type of aircraft is based such as we know that there's Fast Jet, Fixed Wing, Rotary, Training and Unmaned (sentinel) .. For instance fast get aircraft such as the Tornado and Typhoon are hitched up at RAF Lossie :smile:
Reply 5
I'm doing some refresher revision today of all this, and updating all the information I researched for my last application. Took me an hour and a bit to find out where every single aircraft type and operational squadron are based. Simple process:

1. Use the RAF Website. List off all the Aircraft the RAF fly.
2. Use the Equipment tab (http://www.raf.mod.uk/equipment/) and Organisation tab (http://www.raf.mod.uk/organisation/squadrons.cfm) to find out where they're all based and with what squadron.
3. Confirm this information because the website is often out of date. I do this by looking at the station website (google the station), and also by googling the squadron number to check for any news articles about disbanding parades etc. For example, the Merlin Helicopter has been moved to the Navy, but it is still listed on the RAF website.

After a little while and with a bit of effort, you should be able to draw a reasonably accurate picture of where everyone is based.
Reply 6
Original post by Tridex
Use the RAF website bro! They only want to know
Where the type of aircraft is based such as we know that there's Fast Jet, Fixed Wing, Rotary, Training and Unmaned (sentinel) .. For instance fast get aircraft such as the Tornado and Typhoon are hitched up at RAF Lossie :smile:

Tridex bro, you need to make sure you're giving the right info before dispensing your wisdom to others. RAF Lossiemouth is home to Typhoon and Tornado, BUT where else are there Typhoon Sqns? The Tornados at Lossie are operated by XV(R) Sqn, the OCU, where are the 3 front line Sqns based? What else is planned to be based at Lossie in the future?

I'll tell my pals on Sentinel that they're wasting their time operating the radar, as the aircraft is apparently unmaned (sic). What RAF assets are flown remotely?

The RAF has never had so few aircraft types, bases and Sqns. It doesn't bode well if you can't rattle off the short list of ones that remain.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by jannisjr
I'm doing some refresher revision today of all this, and updating all the information I researched for my last application. Took me an hour and a bit to find out where every single aircraft type and operational squadron are based. Simple process:

1. Use the RAF Website. List off all the Aircraft the RAF fly.
2. Use the Equipment tab (http://www.raf.mod.uk/equipment/) and Organisation tab (http://www.raf.mod.uk/organisation/squadrons.cfm) to find out where they're all based and with what squadron.
3. Confirm this information because the website is often out of date. I do this by looking at the station website (google the station), and also by googling the squadron number to check for any news articles about disbanding parades etc. For example, the Merlin Helicopter has been moved to the Navy, but it is still listed on the RAF website.

After a little while and with a bit of effort, you should be able to draw a reasonably accurate picture of where everyone is based.

Jannis, it's unfortunate that the RAF Webmaster at High Wycombe can't keep up with constant change in the organisation. You can do your own research to fill in the gaps in your knowledge, but don't forget there are a number of current serving and recent service personnel on TSR. Nobody will flame you if you're banging your head against a brick wall trying to paint the RAF picture. Most of the RAF peeps on here are likely to either have first hand knowledge, or have pals in most areas of the service. Feel free to ask the questions to clarify gaps in knowledge, people recognise that official information is often inaccurate, and would be happy to help. That's different from spoonfeeding information when someone can't be arsed to do their own research.

Quick Reply

Latest