The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St Andrews Hopefuls 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OturuDansay
Do UK citizens have to pay International Fees for St Andrews?

They pay RUK fees.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by ferN1337
Yep

Haha
Original post by OturuDansay
Do UK citizens have to pay International Fees for St Andrews?

If you are English then you pay the same as you would going to an english uni - so about £9k.
Scottish kids go for free as do EU mainland (hence the restriction on places for this category)
Overseas is another fee bracket.
Original post by wolfmoon88
Hi guys :tongue:

What accommodation option are ya'll thinking about applying to? :biggrin:

My first choice is probably McIntosh Hall lol

For me I'm thinking either McIntosh, or St Regulus
Original post by Ace2184

Hahaha Coool :biggrin:

I don't like big halls that much :tongue: McIntosh seems perfect :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hahaha Coool :biggrin:

I don't like big halls that much :tongue: McIntosh seems perfect :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I actually think Regs is the smallest, plus it has those cool gardens!
Original post by Ace2184
I actually think Regs is the smallest, plus it has those cool gardens!

Probably is the smallest and indeed it does have cool gardens. May need to put more thought into this accom thing. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm just looking for accommodation near to the center 😩
Original post by Lauren1498x

Are you not reapplying to Ox?

(I am most likely not going to, cuz my parents think that reapplication is absurd especially because I have an offer from a top 5 uni in the UK)

Personally I think St Andrews is small enough that being central isn't that crucial :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

So Regs, McIntosh, or Sallies would be your best bet. Although you can't really specify a accommodation on the application, if you put catered, non-ensuite, and willing to share, you're likely to get put in one of those three. Also APPLY EARLY, the accommodation form opens on April 1st! (personally i'm leaning towards Regs)
Original post by Ace2184

Same the look good but i wanted en-suite but those are far from the center of town
Are you not reapplying to Ox?

(I am most likely not going to, cuz my parents think that reapplication is absurd especially because I have an offer from a top 5 uni in the UK)

Personally I think St Andrews is small enough that being central isn't that crucial :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

i'm really conflicted - i'm super salty still about being rejected and my school aren't helping bc they presume i got rejected just bc of the school i go to so they think i should re apply to the same college and try and show them they made a mistake.... i'm not even sure if i'll get a place from St Andrews since being Scottish its crazy competitive. Also i've always wanted to get away from Scotland and st andrews is freezing and in the middle of no where. but i did like it on the open day so we'll just see. I don't want to wait until March to find out though :/
Original post by Andrella
Same the look good but i wanted en-suite but those are far from the center of town

Well you have to think about what you want more, ensuite, or a central location
Reply 613
i'm really conflicted - i'm super salty still about being rejected and my school aren't helping bc they presume i got rejected just bc of the school i go to so they think i should re apply to the same college and try and show them they made a mistake.... i'm not even sure if i'll get a place from St Andrews since being Scottish its crazy competitive. Also i've always wanted to get away from Scotland and st andrews is freezing and in the middle of no where. but i did like it on the open day so we'll just see. I don't want to wait until March to find out though :/

Why would you get rejected because of the school you go to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by qeyoo
Why would you get rejected because of the school you go to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

they as well as many other universities positively discriminate against independent schools
they as well as many other universities positively discriminate against independent schools

Not really, they just take results into context. For example AAA at a college where the average A-level grade is an A isn't as impressive as AAA where the average A-level grade is a C. Oxford and Cambridge still have amongst the highest private school intake of any university.
Original post by DarkEnergy
Not really, they just take results into context. For example AAA at a college where the average A-level grade is an A isn't as impressive as AAA where the average A-level grade is a C. Oxford and Cambridge still have amongst the highest private school intake of any university.

That's still essentially the same thing. If there's a bunch of people who are all around the same standard they're not going to pick the kid who goes to private school. Happens a lot to people at my school. Just makes you have to be even better. They do discriminate. It annoys me because I worked hard to get perfect grades and the school you attend doesn't take away any of the personal effort put in to get those grades. But I can't do anything about it, life can be unfair
When people start talking about accomodation but your decision is still pending :frown:
That's still essentially the same thing. If there's a bunch of people who are all around the same standard they're not going to pick the kid who goes to private school. Happens a lot to people at my school. Just makes you have to be even better. They do discriminate. It annoys me because I worked hard to get perfect grades and the school you attend doesn't take away any of the personal effort put in to get those grades. But I can't do anything about it, life can be unfair

I think it's just to do with equity tbh. My school is so waste they don't even have past A level results on their website aha. I think the concern is that those in independent schools will probably have access to better resources, better quality teachers and management of the school will be of a higher quality (essentially, their priorities are straight).

There's no doubt that you worked hard to get the grades you did most people would have to work hard to get As and A*s. It might just be to do with the contribution your effort made to your grades. For example, I know in some schools the teachers are so bad that you essentially have to teach yourself (I basically have to do this for 2 subjects out the three I'm doing now [The last lesson we had for one of them we spent 90 minutes cutting out and sticking statements on a piece of paper; the statements were already in order and it took 5 minutes, she went around the class doing nothing])

I'm not necessarily trying to complain I really don't care if I have to teach myself the specification it makes no difference but I'd rather not waste my time and I'd rather a teacher that actually IDK, wants to teach?

I don't know much about private schools apart from the fact that in my area, students in private schools often outperform those in state schools. I mean you might actually be in the same situation I am, but I think Uni's make the assumption that you are in a better position and the assumption might not be as irrational as you'd like to think; it's not impossible for Uni's to find Ofsted reports on your school or perhaps just go on the school website.

However, if the conditions you are in are better than those in state schools yet you get the same grades they might pick a state student over you because they can still prove their worth in a situation where proving their worth may be harder.

But hey, who knows.
Original post by luisasch
When people start talking about accomodation but your decision is still pending :frown:

Well, I'm international, and I only got my offer last week! So I don't think you have anything to worry about yet to be honest.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending