The Student Room Group

Planning to Fail Class so I Can Retake

The coursework is easy I just don't have the money or time for it right now.

I was given the option of dropping, but then I'll have to pay. Everyone I spoke to advised me against it.

However if I continue from here, I'll get a very low passing grade, and can retake--but finance won't help pay for it.

Is the best thing me retaking the course, after failing, so I can retake with finance? I've asked my professor, student finance, and the head but they pry with too many unimportant personal questions, and I still leave with no helpful answer.

So I just want to know the pros and cons of getting a low grade, or just failing. Either way my ego is wounded, but financially what is better?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm also Undergrad and the module is required.
We don't know what course you're talking about, what level, where or what you want to do in the future. So any attempt at giving a meaningful answer is pointless. You've already asked the people who might be able to help you, yet you've come to the conclusion that asking anonymous strangers on the internet will somehow give you a better answer.

In general I would assume that planning on failing a class just so you can retake is a terrible idea.
Reply 3
Original post by Duncan2012

In general I would assume that planning on failing a class just so you can retake is a terrible idea.

Ok, why?
Original post by mall-cop
Ok, why?

Seriously? You said you'd pass the module if you carried on with it, but you're thinking about deliberately failing it so you can redo it next year? Ignoring the finance side of things - what's the point of that?
Reply 5
Will someone just tell me if I fail a required class and retake, will student finance pay :sigh:
Reply 6
Seriously? You said you'd pass the module if you carried on with it, but you're thinking about deliberately failing it so you can redo it next year? Ignoring the finance side of things - what's the point of that?

"Ignoring the finance side of things?"

That's literally the issue here...
Reply 7
Ok, why?

If you can't do it now, what makes you think you will able to get a better grade later?
Go and see your union rep.

If your an undergrad, then why did you start the degree.
You need to read our rulebook as to what effect dropping out an retakes have on your grades.

You contradict yourself you say you wont get finance for a retake, but then you ask about retaking with finance. you either have it or you dont.
You also dont explain dropping out? That means of the whole year so you have to repay everything and you are bothered about just one module, which youve decided you dont have time for.

Go and talk to someone who knows the rules. deliberately scoring low sounds like a bad idea and either way you will be paying.

Wow. Fine, go ahead and do something stupid. You're clearly not prepared to listen to anyone's advice.
Reply 10

Okay, so are you getting funded from 'Student Finance England'? Will you have to resit the module or the whole year. In the former situation, nothing really changes in terms of funding as far as I'm aware, though your mark will probably be capped by your education institution. If it's the latter, it would take up the one extra year of funding which SFE offer.
Reply 11
Original post by RVNmax
If you can't do it now, what makes you think you will able to get a better grade later?

I already said I can do it. The issue is not the curriculum. I said already I don't have the money or time. But if I continue...I will get a low grade.

My concern is, if I get a low grade, finance might not pay for me to retake it. This has happened to me before.

I was told it's better to fail than to drop. Because if I retake for a fail, finance will supposedly pay. But not for a drop or simply a low score.

I'm wondering if that's true. If you don't know then there's no need to post condescending things.
why dont you repost this on the finance thread so one of the sfe reps can talk to you or ring sfe up?
You say they pry and ask you unimportnat questions, but they know more about it than you sogive them the information they want.
Reply 13
Original post by 999tigger
deliberately scoring low sounds like a bad idea and either way you will be paying.

That's...not what I'm doing.

I am not deliberately scoring low.
My thing is to prevent scoring low
I should fail.
At this point it will already affect me. My issue is which is more economic?

I can sit after having missed exams and assignments (they're on a department mandated website, which requires a big ass registration fee. I didn't have it. I have the money now but the professor is a dick and closes the assignments after a certain time. There's no point in continuing if I can't do anything...)

My thinking is, just not go back, without officially dropping. Dropping=pay.
And then retake next term.

My question still hasn't been answered.

If I retake for a required class, will finance pay?

Wow. Fine, go ahead and do something stupid. You're clearly not prepared to listen to anyone's advice.

What advice did you give... And if you're frustrated, please leave. No one is more frustrated about this than me. I didn't drag you in here.
Reply 14
Original post by RVNmax
Okay, so are you getting funded from 'Student Finance England'? Will you have to resit the module or the whole year. In the former situation, nothing really changes in terms of funding as far as I'm aware, though your mark will probably be capped by your education institution. If it's the latter, it would take up the one extra year of funding which SFE offer.

So they will pay even if I fail, but choose to retake?
That's all I'm asking. Not if it's stupid or what. Just will they pay for a required module that I failed and will retake?
Reply 15
I already said I can do it. The issue is not the curriculum. I said already I don't have the money or time. But if I continue...I will get a low grade.

My concern is, if I get a low grade, finance might not pay for me to retake it. This has happened to me before.

I was told it's better to fail than to drop. Because if I retake for a fail, finance will supposedly pay. But not for a drop or simply a low score.

I'm wondering if that's true. If you don't know then there's no need to post condescending things.

It wasn't supposed to be condescending, I was asking because I wanted to help. I never implied you had an issue with the curriculum. You said that you don't have the money or time, so I was asking if you think you will have that later, otherwise what is the point? Financially you will be worse off as you would have an extra loan for no reason. Do you now see why it literally answers your question.
What advice did you give

You've ignored your professor, student finance and your head already, and you've ignored us when I said we needed more information to give any sort of sensible advice. Have you spoken to your student union? Or do you think they're asking too many unimportant personal questions too? :rolleyes:

What uni course requires a "big ass registration fee"? And what do you mean you 'don't have the time for it'?
Reply 17

What uni course requires a "big ass registration fee"?

This uni course.

And I haven't ignored anyone.

Now if you're so persistent, please answer:
Will someone just tell me if I fail a required class and retake, will student finance pay :sigh:
Reply 18
An example of how to answer a yes or no question:

shawtyb
I assume the finance would cover your resit. It does with mine

Lol so how hard was this lads? @Duncan2012@RVNmax@999tigger :rolleyes:
Reply 19
Original post by 999tigger
why dont you repost this on the finance thread so one of the sfe reps can talk to you or ring sfe up?
You say they pry and ask you unimportnat questions, but they know more about it than you sogive them the information they want.

They'll tell me the same automated lies they're trained to tell me.
I want to know if there's common understanding on what is realistic or not, that professionals won't tell you because it's not formal advice.
Based on some neutral advice, I can then just dictate it better to sfe. Instead of believing what they tell me, which includes "our hands are tied."

I also know obviously to ask experts, no need to post this patronising suggestion that I go see them.

Don't worry, I won't quote you again. You didn't help at all anyway.

Latest