The Student Room Group

Invited to Marriott assessment centre, how should I prepare?

So I've been invited to the assessment centre and would like to know if anyone else has attended one. What should I expect and how should prepare?
Hello!

I can't give you any information specific to Marrlott, but generally most assessment centres follow a very similar format. They usually include any or all of the following:

- One-to-one interviews
- Group tasks
- In-tray exercises
- Presentations
- Role-play exercises

I would recommend being sure to look through common competency questions and having some answers to those ready - plus, be sure to use the STAR technique to answer any of those questions.

For further tips on how to prepare for assessment centres, check out the below articles on Milkround:

http://advice.milkround.com/assessment-centres
http://advice.milkround.com/a-graduates-guide-to-assessment-days

Good luck!

Chantelle & The Milkround team
Reply 2
Hi I have to go to London at the end of February, in what it consists?
Original post by Daffy82r
Hi I have to go to London at the end of February, in what it consists?

Depending on what you're doing, you'll start off with an introduction which will give you an overview of Marriott and what you're doing during the AC, they then move to an ice breaker (usually throwing a ball around and introducing yourself and an interesting fact), you'll already be seated with your group for which you'll do the group exercises, they look for leaders and those that contribute (if you don't contribute, you won't get the job), you'll be required to do a presentation as part of the group. There's also a role play (done as part of the group or 1 to 1, they change it around) although that depends on what the position is that you've applied for.

There is a break (usually) half way through, you can hydrate, eat, smoke etc. you then come back and they hold 1 to 1 interviews. Before the interviews, if you've done a good job during the group exercise and demonstrated leadership, you'll be asked to leave the room and be interviewed with the senior members of staff rather than HR. If you're last to be interviewed (or in the last group), you really need to impress whomever is interviewing you in your 1 to 1.

The above is the usual method, there isn't any testing, it's largely team work based. Be confident and you'll be fine. Oh and wear a suit (or similar if a girl), I can't stress enough how much appearance is taken into account, it's hospitality and you need to be 100% dressed up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending