The Student Room Group

Aberdeen (German) or Heriot-Watt Languages (German/Spanish)

Hello!
I've received offers from Aberdeen for German (with a year abroad) and from Heriot-Watt for Languages (Interpreting and Translating): German/Spanish. I have absolutely no idea which one to choose. Of course I'd rather live in Edinburgh but Aberdeen has a better reputation and occupies a higher position in university rankings. Does any of you know which uni offers better linguistic course? :smile:
Look at the course structure in detail, what modules are available? Which ones interest you more? What are the year abroad options at each university? Personally I think location is a secondary issues, but it's up to you.
Good advice from Snufkin! Heriot-Watt is the only univesity in Scotland that offers undergraduate degrees in Langauges Interpreting and Translating so it's really different from langauge courses elsewhere. This degree focuses on practical and applied interpreting and translating skills working in German and Spanish langauge. It also includes simultaneous & conference interpreting. While there are one or two courses in European History and Culture, we don't really do any literature. European Langauges at Heriot Watt are ranked 1st in Scotland (NSS 2015).
Hope that helps :smile:
HWU Shona Barrie
Reply 3
Original post by Snufkin
Look at the course structure in detail, what modules are available? Which ones interest you more? What are the year abroad options at each university? Personally I think location is a secondary issues, but it's up to you.

Thank you for the advice! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by HWUShona Barrie
Good advice from Snufkin! Heriot-Watt is the only univesity in Scotland that offers undergraduate degrees in Langauges Interpreting and Translating so it's really different from langauge courses elsewhere. This degree focuses on practical and applied interpreting and translating skills working in German and Spanish langauge. It also includes simultaneous & conference interpreting. While there are one or two courses in European History and Culture, we don't really do any literature. European Langauges at Heriot Watt are ranked 1st in Scotland (NSS 2015).
Hope that helps :smile:
HWU Shona Barrie

Thank you so much! This is exactly the piece of information I was looking for. I am interested in a more practical take on studying languages. In addition, the duration of the Aberdeen's course is a year longer than the H-W's. I think I've made up my mind :smile:.
Original post by Kyinra
Thank you so much! This is exactly the piece of information I was looking for. I am interested in a more practical take on studying languages. In addition, the duration of the Aberdeen's course is a year longer than the H-W's. I think I've made up my mind :smile:.

You're welcome! :u:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending