The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

S1M
ok a linac:
this works on the principle of electronic attraction
ok.... im stuck already :biggrin:...
can i use a picture?

Why not? It's hard, all I can babble on about is alternating voltage, accelerating the particle between adjacent plates, but I don't know why...and it's the same with the cyclotron. Why do the particles accelerate in the gap between the two plates?

And also, with the linac, the pd plates get longer and longer so the particle can still be accelerated, why?

Thank you :smile:
Reply 21
when the particle gets faster it passes the plates faster. either the alternating current has to have its frequency increased or the plates have to be longer for it to keep accelerating.
Reply 22
ok lets give it another shot...

an alternating current is applied to a set of tubes each getting progressively longer
alternating tube are connected to the same terminal
when a electron is released from the radiation source
the first tube (which is positively charged), attracts the electron through it
the electric field of this tube provides a force to accelerate it
then by the time the electron reaches the next tube the alternating current switches so the next tube is positive and the same thing happen, however the tube needs to be longer as the electron is moving faster
then same thing happens with successive tubes until it hits the fixed target at the end of the set of tubes...

well im not good at explaining but i hope that helped...

ps. the tubes are in a vacuum
Reply 23
btw dont you have the NAS physics books? all this is in there
Oh I do, I use breithaupt normally though, great book! I just keep forgetting after I read it... :frown: Will give NAS a scan after my economics exam tomorrow. :smile:

thanks guys! (yes it has helped). btw, so the electron is repelled the tube it just passed through and attracted by the tube it's approaching? Ergo the resultant forces accelerates it?
Reply 25
yeah like those magnetic train things in japan..

..except theyre magnetic and trains
Reply 26
IMO the nas book is not good for this stuff...
advanced physic for you is the bestest book for a level physics :smile:
zoidberg
yeah like those magnetic train things in japan..

..except theyre magnetic and trains

excellent, will regurgitate that tomorrow! :smile: I hope we have lots of mechanics calculations in that paper...
Reply 28
Mysticmin
so the electron is repelled the tube it just passed through and attracted by the tube it's approaching? Ergo the resultant forces accelerates it?

not sure what ergo means but yeah i think u got the idea
S1M - do you mean Understanding physics for advanced level (3rd edition)?
Reply 30
oh all i have is NAS and a really old A-Level physics book by MUNCASTER. the nas one is a bit brief so theres no point in reading it probably
I have about 8, don't use 7 of them. The NAS books are really brief, if you went by them alone you'd be lucky to scrape a C...
Reply 32
Mysticmin
S1M - do you mean Unverstanding physics for advanced level (3rd edition)?

hmm let me check what it exactly says... i thought it says advanced physics for you... but that might be another book...
Reply 33
Mysticmin
I have about 8, don't use 7 of them. The NAS books are really brief, if you went by them alone you'd be lucky to scrape a C...

hey... dont diss NAS... them alone got me As in modules 1-4 :biggrin:
S1M
hey... dont diss NAS... them alone got me As in modules 1-4 :biggrin:

I hate them :biggrin: Not helpful at all when I'm stuck on a question! My teachers are both brilliant so I use the notes they give me most of the time.
Reply 35
S1M
hmm let me check what it exactly says... i thought it says advanced physics for you... but that might be another book...

yup its called advanced physics for you... imo the best physics text book i have ever seen (other than the NAS, i have only seen about 3 or 4 text books though)...
S1M
yup its called advanced physics for you... imo the best physics text book i have ever seen (other than the NAS, i have only seen about 3 or 4 text books though)...

It's my favourite book, the only one I use!
Reply 37
Mysticmin
I hate them :biggrin: Not helpful at all when I'm stuck on a question! My teachers are both brilliant so I use the notes they give me most of the time.

well for sypnoptic stuff i must admit they are under par... but imo they have proven to me that some are good... because by only reading them for revision in 4 modules and 4 As, cant be bad...
Reply 38
Mysticmin
It's my favourite book, the only one I use!

the one with the colourful animated pics... with those it never gets boring :smile:
S1M
the one with the colourful animated pics... with those it never gets boring :smile:

Think you might be stretching it there, magnetic fields never gets too thrilling! Likewise double slit interference.

Latest

Trending

Trending