The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Insight314
Affirmative action bullsh*t, or just connections. Either way that sh*t is f*cked up.

Or extenuating circumstances. Or a combination of all three.

Maybe a black orphan who was adopted by the DOS, who is now a transgender lesbian, who lost her eyesight days before her exams?
I thought he was STEP tbh. Which college is he?

Sidney suss
Original post by Mathemagicien

Maybe a black orphan who was adopted by the DOS, who is now a transgender lesbian, who lost her eyesight days before her exams?

Extenuating circumstances aren't bullsh*t. It makes sense to take applicants who have underperformed by a bit due to circumstances in their lives which have 100% affected their performance. This would mean that they would perform better when they are in Cambridge, as the environment would be more suitable for them. I would choose a 11 over 1S if the 11 had extenuating circumstances, as it meant he was able to combat through them better.

However, affirmative action that benefits black, transgender retards is complete bullsh*t since a "black, transgender retard" would do as badly as if he was in Cambridge. Whereas, if the person underperfomed due to poverty/low socio-economic background/bad school, then they would obviously perform much better in Cambridge.

saying that there was a blind guy at the warwick step day earlier this year. Im pretty sure they were a mathmo but seems pretty hard if you cant write it down. I ended up helping them out of the building after cus they walked into a wall.
Original post by physicsmaths
Sidney suss

Cool. How is IA?
Original post by EnglishMuon
saying that there was a blind guy at the warwick step day earlier this year. Im pretty sure they were a mathmo but seems pretty hard if you cant write it down. I ended up helping them out of the building after cus they walked into a wall.

:rofl: :rofl:
:rofl: :rofl:

yeah I know, I felt a bit sorry for them :')

Like @EnglishMuon has good extenuating circumstances, and I think if he were to marginally miss his offer (impossible) then they should still take him in. However, if @EnglishMuon is given benefit over someone else solely because he is black and transgender then that is just bullsh*t.
So I just found out about the U3 guy.
He was severly autistic and couldnt handle exams he blazed through trinity interviews and he was easily the best in peterhouse and he discussed maths with the DoS and Imre Leader as equals so Imre mustve told Dr Zsak to take him but the guy dropped out cause of exams and they still talk to him.
So a very very rare exception.
Props to him, mustve been incredible if Imre leader is reccommending you.
This is from my mate at peterhouse btw

Posted from TSR Mobile
Like @EnglishMuon has good extenuating circumstances, and I think if he were to marginally miss his offer (impossible) then they should still take him in. However, if @EnglishMuon is given benefit over someone else solely because he is black and transgender then that is just bullsh*t.

I wouldn't like to get into Cambridge solely due to my nickname of "El taco" some people referred to me at school as, no :colonhash:
He was severly autistic and couldnt handle exams he blazed through trinity interviews and he was easily the best in peterhouse and he discussed maths with the DoS and Imre Leader as equals so Imre mustve told Dr Zsak to take him but the guy dropped out cause of exams and they still talk to him.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's good he was taken in. I am fine with that.
Posted from TSR Mobile

So a case of some exceptionally bright person who just didn't take well to exam conditions? Fair enough.

But what if @EnglishMuon was black, transgender and lesbian? That's a pretty strong CV.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So a case of some exceptionally bright person who just didn't take well to exam conditions? Fair enough.

How he gonna take Tripos exams then? Btw, there was a severely autistic guy in the STEP Easter School this year as well. He was pretty good, discussed stuff with Siklos after lectures IIRC. Mathemagicien remembers him probably. He was so funny, and also quite annoying. No idea how he, and that guy from Peterhouse, are gonna survive Tripos exams/lectures though.

Original post by EnglishMuon
I wouldn't like to get into Cambridge solely due to my nickname of "El taco" some people referred to me at school as, no :colonhash:

Are you of Hispanic descent?
Reply 2674
Original post by Forecast
They originally received an offer from Trinity but it was Peterhouse who let them in through the summer pool. (page 7: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/343435/response/846726/attach/2/FOI%202016%20307%20Worth%20response%20letter%20and%20data.pdf)

Just remember folks, no one piece of information is ever considered in isolation and no particular weighting is applied to anything! /s

Wtf someone else got into Pembroke with 2,3

Posted from TSR Mobile
How he gonna take Tripos exams then? Btw, there was a severely autistic guy in the STEP Easter School this year as well. He was pretty good, discussed stuff with Siklos after lectures IIRC. Mathemagicien remembers him probably. He was so funny, and also quite annoying. No idea how he, and that guy from Peterhouse, are gonna survive Tripos exams/lectures though.

Are you of Hispanic descent?

He dropped out that kid did. In second year

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Was he 2015 entry? I just remembered that a TSR friend from Churchill, who is gonna do IB this year, told me that there was some autistic Mathmo from their year that was very annoying during lectures, when I told him about the autistic guy I saw on STEP Easter School. The Churchillian was even surprised he wasn't beaten up before IA ended. :rofl:

But what if @EnglishMuon was black, transgender and lesbian? That's a pretty strong CV.

Tell me about it.

Nah plain ol' English, but with some fairly distantish Portuguese relatives, hence my ability to change colour quickly in the sun :tongue:
He dropped out that kid did. In second year

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh damn. How come? Was he bullied or something?
Just to defend the non existent blind, lesbian transgender black mathmo, there isn't one in the 2015 IA cohort

Latest

Trending

Trending