The Student Room Group

Aston Villa FC Society III

The fightback begins :cool:

Est. 1874. Villa Park, Birmingham (42,785).

Honours:

First Division/Premier League x 7 (1893-94, 1895-96, 1896-97, 1898-99, 1899-00, 1909-10, 1980-81)

FA Cup x 7 (1886-87, 1894-95, 1896-97, 1904-05, 1912-13, 1919-20, 1956-57)

League Cup x 5 (1960-61, 1974-75, 1976-77, 1993-94, 1995-96)

European Cup/Champions League x 1 (1981-82)

Scroll to see replies

Reserved 4 obvious banter purposes
Part of me wants Villa to bounce back.

But a bigger part wants to see a fat Gabby Agbonlahor lead Villa into league one while Grealish descends into heroin abuse.

Could go either way at this point
Reply 3
Championship edition, eh? Could either come straight back up or could be just another Leeds.
Reply 4
I posted far too much in the previous thread, considering I don't support Villa and they aren't a Liverpool rivalry. I have a soft spot for them, I guess.
Original post by Arkasia
Championship edition, eh? Could either come straight back up or could be just another Leeds.

They're not in debt, so won't be another Leeds. The issue is that Keith Wyness who's a key figure in the takeover has only had one major job at Everton, which was when he really didn't invest at all. I reckon they'll languish in mid table until someone with big money takes over.
Reply 6
Original post by Diego Costa
They're not in debt, so won't be another Leeds. The issue is that Keith Wyness who's a key figure in the takeover has only had one major job at Everton, which was when he really didn't invest at all. I reckon they'll languish in mid table until someone with big money takes over.

I guess Villa are kind of unique in that they were part of an elite group to never be relegated, but they're suddenly awful now. No-one to really compare them to right now. I can't see anyone investing big money in Villa any time soon, how good is their academy? They might start to become a feeder club.
Original post by Arkasia
I guess Villa are kind of unique in that they were part of an elite group to never be relegated, but they're suddenly awful now. No-one to really compare them to right now. I can't see anyone investing big money in Villa any time soon, how good is their academy? They might start to become a feeder club.

They have a big fan base in a massive area with a large stadium, I can't see why an investor wouldn't take them. Bristol City and Nottingham Forest are owned by billionaires, for instance.

It's not like Leeds who had been in massive debt since the 90's and when the PL only paid a fraction of what it does now.
Reply 8
Original post by Diego Costa
They have a big fan base in a massive area with a large stadium, I can't see why an investor wouldn't take them. Bristol City and Nottingham Forest are owned by billionaires, for instance.

It's not like Leeds who had been in massive debt since the 90's and when the PL only paid a fraction of what it does now.

I suppose their historical prestige and their fanbase is a huge draw, but then their current reputation is in tatters, and the squad/manager situation is less than ideal (mixture of awful players, unmotivated players, and a few young ones who will be bought up). Nottingham Forest have that historic factor, any idea why someone would buy Bristol City?

Another example in the Leeds category would be Ipswich. Premier League team, went into administration, doomed to midtable championship.
(edited 7 years ago)
Long as you're financially shrewd and don't lose too many bodies despite the dross that most of them served up this season, I can see you heading back up. Enjoy the new away days.

Just one thing. Get rid of Joleon ****ing Lescott.
IN.
Subscribed, We need to get rid of Guzan and Flabby as well.
Welcome to the thread III club at last. :wink:
Original post by Rock Fan
Subscribed, We need to get rid of Guzan and Flabby as well.

It seems Dr. X might be planning to expand the ground. This is going to happen imo, even if it's just for facilities as the North Stand is claustrophobic.

I remember this render from years ago.

Be happy with something like that and not like this:

Also, the front of the Trinity could be done up to look a lot better than it is imo.
Reply 15
Get in. First time Villa have changed league in my lifetime, season ahead is gonna be wild. Been waiting ten years for Gabby to run riot, this could be it.

Oh, and do we need Delph in the OP? Get someone like Laursen or Petrov up there.
New thread for new times

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hogree
Get in. First time Villa have changed league in my lifetime, season ahead is gonna be wild. Been waiting ten years for Gabby to run riot, this could be it.

Oh, and do we need Delph in the OP? Get someone like Laursen or Petrov up there.

It was a great moment tbf. I'm over Delph now anyway, wish him all the best.

Was going to include Mellberg vs Blues but pic size.
Reply 18
New owner, new manager, new league, and importantly a new thread to document the post-Lerner resurrection. Here's hoping.

In the meantime, there's some good games to look forward to next season. Blues, Forest, Leeds.

lets hope the next 5 years are more positive than the last VTID UTV!

Quick Reply

Latest