The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm going :biggrin:
I'm really looking forwards to it. The experience of staying overnight should be great. I'm very nervous though; it'll be my first open day.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
It will also be your best. :wink:

Whatever you do, mingle with people!!
Reply 3
What exactly happens in this open day?
Reply 4
They invite the students to the university to stay at one of the colleges overnight with entertainment provided by some of the current students (we had a quiz night and bits and pieces last year), then onto the departmental open day in the morning.

I sat about in the bar chatting to randomers all evening. :biggrin:
Reply 5
Wow, I wish I could come. That sounds like loads of fun.
I had a great time at the one in March. :biggrin: Everyone was really friendly and it really made me want to come to Durham. Wish I was going to this one too.
Reply 7
^ Ditto - the March one was fantastic
Reply 8
Did you get much free time to go around and meet new people in March?
Reply 9
You mean, in your college? Yes!

I arrived in the afternoon, and there were loads of Durham reps at the train station, you got on a bus to your college and you got to talk to people there. Then once at the college (this was Trevs by the way, it might vary), there were a couple of talks and an optional tour around Durham. Apart from that there was dinner time, plenty of time between talks/tours and the whole evening to meet new people. Lots of people went out, some also stayed in. Oh, there was also a bar quiz, so you got to know new people. And even standing in queues and things, you got to talk to people. On the second day, not quite as much, I think, the departmental talks were all at different times - you got to speak to people wanting to do the same thing, but after that I went home. So, basically, on the first day, plenty of scope to meet new people, but the second, not as much.

It was very good though - much recommended.
hmm, does everyone get offered to go? I haven't heard about this?
It looks like I am helping out on the Van Mildert Open day now, due to a distinct lack of volunteers. Maybe I will see some of you there in a few days. Hope you guys enjoy it :smile:
Reply 12
Oh wish I had got invited, would of been really nice to see the accomodation plus all that fun.
But I'm all unconditionally confirmed so it's not like they need to persuade me for anything I guess.
Reply 13
Eh? What's this??!?!?

I'm sure this isn't at all colleges - since on the Monday night it's Graduation formal at Trevs on 25th June so they couldn't possibly have an open day then! I also haven't heard anything about asking for Reps, etc. Must be college specific.
From what I have been told its subject specific too. I have been told only to expect chemistry and physics people. All seems very strange :confused:
I am going there too Mr Complex Number. i have no idea what happens because i didnt book it you did Mr complex number, c ya all there
Reply 16
It's chemistry and physics only, at Van Mildert college and eating at one other college (I forget which).
I would love to be unconditionally confirmed :biggrin:
Reply 17
I think it's good we'll be without parents because it'll mean we meet more people, which is hard with loads of adults hanging around, lol. Still very nervous as well though.
Reply 18
It says there that it is for students who are thinking of applying for next year. Surely that's a mistake? :confused:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 19
If I didn't live abroad, I would have certainly gone!

Latest