The Student Room Group

Easiest AS/A2

Help Guys & Gals!!!!!!!!!!

I am doin maths, f maths, bio, chem and physics at AS level. But feel like I should be doing something more. I know I don't have to but come on i m sure some of you feel like that after all that's why you do 6A2s. I m not sure if i will carry on f maths next year seeing as i have only done 5 mods this year and should have done 6 at least. IF I do A2 f maths it means i will have to do 3 mods in jan and 4 in june plus they will be all the hardest mods and I don't get much help for f maths at school :mad:

So if I do an extra AS/A2 what subject do u think it should be. Also i will try to do 2/3AEAs in June next year but don't know what subject (try is the key word here)

BTW I want to do med at uni and i know u don't need any more than what i am doing at present. :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

I would say Business Studies. Even tho you seem to have a good choice of subjects there already. Good luck if you go for it, also Media Studies may be worth a look.
Reply 2
Thnx, any more suggestions from anyone else?????
Reply 3
You really sound like you're doing too much work...

Languages are a good complement to sciences. However, they're not generally easy unless you're a natural linguist or you speak them fluently already.
Reply 4
i'd really recommend a humanity/art.. would stand you in good stead for most medical schools, notably Oxford & UCL & i think definitely helped me stand-out at Imperial.

they're only really "easy" if you have some flair for them though..?
Reply 5
So do u think i should carry on A2 f maths, and do u think i should just do an AS for the subject ur suggesting?
Reply 6
well..if you like maths & you're good at it - why not..?

but i don't think having further maths will necessarily aid a medical application (all it shows is beyond me 'good' at A2 maths & getting the required A, you're "very good" at the same thing - & maybe you could do AEA maths to demonstrate that), whereas a humanity/art might show breadth & be quite useful for essay writing skills (more valuable if applying to a medical school with tutorials & essay based exams i suppose) & ethical elements or SSMs in law or ethics or suchlike.

but, i must admit my probable bias..i didn't do maths beyond GCSE (found it boring!) but did History & English Lit. A2s.
Reply 7
Elles
but, i must admit my probable bias..i didn't do maths beyond GCSE (found it boring!) but did History & English Lit. A2s.

You find Chaucer more interesting than second-order differential equations? :tongue:
Reply 8
but i don't think having further maths will necessarily aid a medical application (all it shows is beyond me 'good' at A2 maths & getting the required A, you're "very good" at the same thing - & maybe you could do AEA maths to demonstrate that), whereas a humanity/art might show breadth & be quite useful for essay writing skills (more valuable if applying to a medical school with tutorials & essay based exams i suppose) & ethical elements or SSMs in law or ethics or suchlike.

Valuable advice there, thnx a lot!!!!!!!! Just wonderin though do u find it easy and wot bit do u find difficult.
Reply 9
Squishy
You find Chaucer more interesting than second-order differential equations? :tongue:

i'm proud of my complete ignorance of what on earth "differentiation" & "integration" are, despite various other scientists mentioning them quite a bit in regards to their maths work.. sadly the log thing seems quite important for pharmacology, so i had to take my fingers out of my ears & stop singing 'la,la,la!' for that.. :tongue:

can't say i've ever read any Chaucer though..the 'old' components of my Lit. included Shakespeare (over-rated i think), Marlowe (fabulous!) & Blake (groovy). then more contemporary novels.. & i find them more entertaining than maths at least..plus there's room for argument, as long as you can base it in the text, anything goes..

Adil Bhai - do i find what easy/difficult? medicine in general? maths? or my other A2s..? :smile:
Reply 10
sociology is quite straightforward. i have no experience of psychology but i've heard that it is quite easy. plus both of these would be helpful for medicine - my gf's sister is doing medicine at cambridge and she had a module of sociology in her first year.
Reply 11
Elles
Shakespeare (over-rated i think)

I agree with you there. :smile:
Reply 12
Adil Bhai - do i find what easy/difficult? medicine in general? maths? or my other A2s..?

Basically what aspects of History do u find easy/difficult?
Adil Bhai

If you really do enjoy Maths, If I were you I would do Maths and Further Maths to A2, as I believe it's a definite plus point in your application.

I think with the workload you're already doing, taking up something as time consuming as history is perhaps unnecessary and quite difficult; you'd be better off ensuring that you got high grades in your others.

Good luck.
krow1209
sociology is quite straightforward. i have no experience of psychology but i've heard that it is quite easy. plus both of these would be helpful for medicine - my gf's sister is doing medicine at cambridge and she had a module of sociology in her first year.
Psychology is only ever easy if you're able to quickly interpret and learn (sometimes complex) factual information - which there is a lot of in Psychology. You should be able to argue cogently and effectively through your writing. History is pretty much the same, but you should have a liking for the subject. There isn't a point in pursuing something you don't enjoy or find too difficult.
Economics
Reply 16
I think with the workload you're already doing, taking up something as time consuming as history is perhaps unnecessary and quite difficult; you'd be better off ensuring that you got high grades in your others.

That brings me to my second point. What's ur opinion on the quickest AS/A2 to finish in terms of workload. I mean Maths is one of the quickest to finish compared to something like chem or bio, but r there any others.

Also do u think doing an extra AS is worth it or should i do a complete A2.
Reply 17

That brings me to my second point. What's ur opinion on the quickest AS/A2 to finish in terms of workload. I mean Maths is one of the quickest to finish compared to something like chem or bio, but r there any others.

Also do u think doing an extra AS is worth it or should i do a complete A2.
Reply 18
Adil Bhai

well..i love history (& if i hadn't got into medicine would have seriously considered taking that!) in terms of as an AS/A2:

difficult aspects - the coursework was fairly time consuming; specific exam technique needed; one of my topics was very very dull

easier aspects - most of my topics were fabulous, really interesting; didn't need to do much revision other than key dates & name memorisation because the classes & reading throughout the year gave me a firm grasp on the concepts & interpretations that i based exam essays on.

history probably isn't the 'quickest' subject to do as you need reading.

Invisible - are you a medical student/applicant..because i'm not convinced FM is a 'definite plus point' in an application, although obviously if you like it & you're good at it then do it..

but i would check carefully & you'll definitely have to do 4A2s (not that you seem bothered about that!) because i know of medical applicants who were given tagged offers that didin't accept Maths & FM as two distinct subjects.

& by doing all maths/sciences you may limit where you can apply..

some schools do 'critical thinking' AS rather than GS & if you have that sort of mind, it would take little work but possibly look good on your application & make you look slightly more academically rounded..?
Reply 19
Psychology isn't to bad - compared with my other subjects (bio, chem, phys) it probably has the smallest workload.

Saying that, I did AQA A which doesn't involve coursework at AS. If you can write essays, and remember information, it's not too time consuming. Especially with this syllabus, if you do past papers, you'll be well prepared in the exam. Can't comment about how easy it is (until I get my exam results :wink: )

Obviously, I can't comment about how difficult it is at A2 either.

Latest

Trending

Trending