The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

How lenient are Hull?

Bit of a silly question, obviously I want to and am aiming to achieve my grades. However, I was just curious to how lenient hull are based on their conditions?
I think it varies from department to department as obviously they all have different people in charge of it. However in my experience, they are really lenient (hell, I missed my offer by 2 grades and they still let me in), they also quite often offer the same course but with a foundation year to those who have missed their grades.
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply. What course are you doing?
I'm doing Physics but I am about to graduate so they let me in 4 years ago.
Original post by Midnight Star
I'm doing Physics but I am about to graduate so they let me in 4 years ago.

What grades did they want from you??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sophiestreet
What grades did they want from you??

Posted from TSR Mobile

BBC (with a B in either maths or physics) but I ended up with BCD as my A-levels didn't go great but they still let me in and I'm now doing better at uni than other people who got higher A-levels than me.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Midnight Star
BBC (with a B in either maths or physics) but I ended up with BCD as my A-levels didn't go great but they still let me in and I'm now doing better at uni than other people who got higher A-levels than me.

Oh wow, awesome. They want BCC from me, C in both Maths and Physics. That's kind of reassuring, in case things go a bit wrong, y'know 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Keep in mind that 4 years ago Hull were named "the least romantic city in the UK" so the standards back then must have been set pretty low. Now they are about to become a city of culture for 2017 and I bet that this is raising the stakes.
it's pretty easy to get into Hull. They kind of take anyone. I didn't do A levels but a European high school degree, I got 67% and they had asked for 70%. They took me anyway.. and I heard of many cases like mine.
Reply 9
Original post by oliviabark
it's pretty easy to get into Hull. They kind of take anyone. I didn't do A levels but a European high school degree, I got 67% and they had asked for 70%. They took me anyway.. and I heard of many cases like mine.

Thanks for your response, are you aware of how lenient they're based on nursing courses?
Original post by GabyHullah
Thanks for your response, are you aware of how lenient they're based on nursing courses?

Sorry, I wouldn't be able to tell you as I studied business and didn't know anyone doing nursing :/
Reply 11
They accept a lot of students via clearing, grade with C or below.
Oh wow, awesome. They want BCC from me, C in both Maths and Physics. That's kind of reassuring, in case things go a bit wrong, y'know 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Quiton
They accept a lot of students via clearing, grade with C or below.

Ahh okay, good to know. At least there's a backup 😛

Posted from TSR Mobile
I live there. They gave everyone from my school who applied unconditionals. Like as long as you have 5 GCSEs they'lł let you in I'm pretty sure xd

Posted from TSR Mobile
lenient af

Spoke to a tutor about this for physics yesterday, his (paraphrased) words....
Three C's and probably ok, after that and it starts to look doubtful but they would want to have a conversation with you, and would depend on the number they have already accepted.
As ever with physics though they look better on higher grades in maths so if you get a B in maths then you have a better chance to get in if you miss on physics
Original post by Colinj451
Spoke to a tutor about this for physics yesterday, his (paraphrased) words....
Three C's and probably ok, after that and it starts to look doubtful but they would want to have a conversation with you, and would depend on the number they have already accepted.
As ever with physics though they look better on higher grades in maths so if you get a B in maths then you have a better chance to get in if you miss on physics

Thanks for letting me know! Maths is actually the one I'm worried about - I'm fairly confident I can get at least a C in Physics (and Chemistry, the other a-level I did). I'll just have to wait until results day I suppose, I'm probably worrying for nothing haha 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've been offered a place at Hull to study Spanish with deferred entry so 2017 for BBC but seeing as results day is tomorrow I'm really stressing! Anyone know how lenient they are with Languages?
if you're doing a medical or nursing based course they are not so leniant due to outter governing bodies controling the course standards...

Quick Reply

Latest