The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Accommodation for insurance

I've put this uni as my insurance and I was wandering if I have to pick out a college and accommodation now or only if i get accepted on results day?

I have an email from the uni asking me to do this but I thought if it's my insurance I didn't do that unless I miss out on my firm?
Reply 1
I'm posting in this thread because I also put Lancaster as my insurance and got the email about colleges and ****. And I have no idea what to do either lol
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
You have to pick a college and accommodation preference now but the hierarchy for on-campus accommodation is firm students > clearing students > insurance students, so the chances are you will not receive on-campus accommodation and will have to look elsewhere.

The main problem with this is that most of the decent off-campus accommodation is already booked by second and third years, so you will have to make do with one of the less pleasant places (i.e. CityBlock).

Also, all off-campus first years are assigned to Country College regardless of which colleges they applied for.
Reply 3
Original post by stevey396
You have to pick a college and accommodation preference now but the hierarchy for on-campus accommodation is firm students > clearing students > insurance students, so the chances are you will not receive on-campus accommodation and will have to look elsewhere.

The main problem with this is that most of the decent off-campus accommodation is already booked by second and third years, so you will have to make do with one of the less pleasant places (i.e. CityBlock).

Also, all off-campus first years are assigned to Country College regardless of which colleges they applied for.

I thought the hierarchy was firm > insurance > clearing?
Reply 4
Original post by Katiee224

That's how it is for most unis, or at least that's what I thought...

That's how it was when I got my accommodation for my uni last year (I got into my insurance choice accommodation, & I got offers to transfer directly into year 2 of my course which is why I have applications this year too).
Original post by Katiee224

It is at most unis, but not at Lancaster - they guarantee clearing students on-campus accommodation to attract people who end up in clearing, and this comes at the expense of the insurance students.

I was an insurance student who had to live off-campus due to the uni prioritising clearing students over insurance students.
Reply 6
It is at most unis, but not at Lancaster - they guarantee clearing students on-campus accommodation to attract people who end up in clearing, and this comes at the expense of the insurance students.

I was an insurance student who had to live off-campus due to the uni prioritising clearing students over insurance students.

Wtf that's retarded.
Original post by eden3
Wtf that's retarded.

Yeah, my year was the first year they did it so it was a bit of a shock to get rejected from on-campus accommodation and then go onto the Facebook page and see all the clearing students with offers for a room.

Apparently they were having trouble filling up their courses the year before and had to think of something to entice students in clearing to choose Lancaster.
Reply 8
Yeah, my year was the first year they did it so it was a bit of a shock to get rejected from on-campus accommodation and then go onto the Facebook page and see all the clearing students with offers for a room.

Apparently they were having trouble filling up their courses the year before and had to think of something to entice students in clearing to choose Lancaster.

Wow, what an absolute pisstake. Hope it wasn't too troublesome living off-campus in your first year. Must be something glaringly unattractive about Lancaster if they had so many vacant spaces, I thought it was a top 10 uni..?
Reply 9
What if you had Lancaster as insurance for deferred entry. Would you still be bottom of the pile for accommodation after clearing the year after???
Reply 10

What would you count as decent off-campus acommodation? Just for future reference.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending