The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Civil or Civil and Structural

Hi,
I was wondering whether you could tell me which one of your courses are more popular/competitive.
Civil Engineering BEng
Civil and Structural Engineering BEng

Also, what percentage of applicants, roughly, do you usually give offers to each year?

Thanks.
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Original post by mathsaddict1234
Hi,
I was wondering whether you could tell me which one of your courses are more popular/competitive.
Civil Engineering BEng
Civil and Structural Engineering BEng

Also, what percentage of applicants, roughly, do you usually give offers to each year?

Thanks.

Hi,

The Admissions Officer for Civil Engineering provided the following info:

These are figures for 2015 entry. The entry requirements are the same for both degrees. Essentially, as long as the applicant is taking the required subjects at the required level then they are likely to receive a conditional offer and if they achieve the conditions of the offer, then they will have a confirmed place.

Civil Engineering (H200) - 150 applications, intake of 22 students
Civil and Structural Engineering (H210) - 51 applications, intake of 12 students

The comparatively low number of confirmed places is due to a variety of reasons:·

* Some applicants do not receive an offer because they are not taking relevant qualifications.·
* Some applicants do not achieve the conditions of their offer.·
* Every applicant has 5 choices so may confirm a place with another institution.·
* Some applicants withdraw their application.·
* Some applicants may defer their place.

Hope that helps! :smile:

Persephone
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Newcastle University
Hi,

The Admissions Officer for Civil Engineering provided the following info:

These are figures for 2015 entry. The entry requirements are the same for both degrees. Essentially, as long as the applicant is taking the required subjects at the required level then they are likely to receive a conditional offer and if they achieve the conditions of the offer, then they will have a confirmed place.

Civil Engineering (H200) - 150 applications, intake of 22 students
Civil and Structural Engineering (H210) - 51 applications, intake of 12 students

The comparatively low number of confirmed places is due to a variety of reasons:·

* Some applicants do not receive an offer because they are not taking relevant qualifications.·
* Some applicants do not achieve the conditions of their offer.·
* Every applicant has 5 choices so may confirm a place with another institution.·
* Some applicants withdraw their application.·
* Some applicants may defer their place.

Hope that helps! :smile:

Persephone

Would you be able to tell me how many of the 51 applicants for civil and structural engineering BEng actually got offers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mathsaddict1234
Would you be able to tell me how many of the 51 applicants for civil and structural engineering BEng actually got offers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,

33 of them got offers.

All the best,

Persephone

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending