The Student Room Group

Compulsory Military Service for the Unemployed

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kieran1996
In the wake of the EU exit, with these "immigrants" leaving and giving up their jobs I would like to suggest an idea for those who will still be unemployed.

Those who are not mentally or physically ill, out of work for a year, will have to join the Army / RAF / Navy. Effectively pre-war conscription.

Thoughts???

I was unaware of any immigrants having to leave. As for military service. The last thing the world needs is more UK army. In the last 15 years, we have screwed up the best part of 4 sovereign nations.
Original post by ByEeek
I was unaware of any immigrants having to leave. As for military service. The last thing the world needs is more UK army. In the last 15 years, we have screwed up the best part of 4 sovereign nations.

Sorry that was sentence was a little biased as I am a sore Remain voter

In truth I doubt Boris would even be able to tell the army what do to

He'd probably be busy playing cricket, or smoking a joint with Cameron, or cycling
Compulsory military service, of any description, is a non-starter. However a year (or two?) of national civil service could work. People would have to volunteer for a branch of the public sector and spend the time in that area. Vacancies, training, mentoring and reviewing would need to be properly designed. Jobs would be paid at the same rate, and any subsequent welfare benefits would be conditional upon satisfactory completion of service. Exemptions would be available for those unable to complete the service (disability etc). Thoughts?

He'd probably be busy playing cricket, or smoking a joint with Cameron, or cycling

Or destroying the NHS. I don't think Boris will get in to be honest. I think he has spent much of his political IOUs. We mustn't forget that he is actually a remainer who choose the leave side to further his own ambitions.
Original post by JordanL_
We have a paid, voluntary standing army even though we're not at war, and it serves a purpose.

I think this is a good idea. It's educational, it'd reduce crime and make people more responsible citizens.

People who actually wish to serve in the armed forces have a purpose, forcing those who have no motivation and no interest into a demanding career doesn't help them and it doesn't help this country.
I wish OP knew how hard it is to claim the benefits you're entitled to. It's absolutely nothing like the right-wing media want you to think it is.
It used to be difficult enough to motivate soldiers who had chosen to join the army, I can't imagine what it would be like trying to motivate people who'd been forced to join.
Original post by Davalla
Have you got any military experience?
Would the military want just any old person?
Does it degrade people who actually choose to serve?
Are all people who are deemed not physically/mentally ill automatically capable?

exactly

peacetime national service serves no purpose in the current geopolitical and economic environment .
Original post by Drewski
No.

The military doesn't want them, can't afford them and can't house them.

It's a waste of time and money.

And the chances are, most wouldn't pass selection standards.

And fwiw, I'm speaking as someone who was in the forces.

Exactly, its funny how this idea about "make the layabouts do conscription, that will sort them!" are the same types who bang on about how our Armed Forces are "the best in the world".

Well they soon won't be, if they stop being professional soldiers and turn in to a boot camp for getting people off the dole. It will just swell the numbers and be an enormous drain on the military training staff, instead of having selection standards they will have to take anybody who hasn't got a job and then what happens if they end up in combat....professional soldiers could be in a situation where their safety is compromised by having to look after the no-hopers.
I have got military experience however it was not for me and I am running off to Uni.

While I was at secondary school I was in the CCF and it helped me develop a lot. Also have lots of good memories from it :smile:

Hang on, are you suggesting your experience of being a teenage school cadet is "military experience"?!

Please tell me you're not equating full time military conscription to pratting about when you're 15 and pretending you're in topgun...
(edited 7 years ago)
Its a stupid idea. I do not want more people being deployed into areas of conflict as it can seriously screw up a persons mental wellbeing. I have friends who have come back and 2 out of the 4 are completely different people. All have changed in terms of their outlook on life but the 2 in particular are just lost mentally. The one saw his best mate getting treated like a rag doll just so someone could take his valuables which has left him completely broken mentally and the other just couldn't cope with all of the violence and freaks out. Both got help but its not enough and they are still not functioning people again. Who in their right mind wants to put more individuals through this sort of stuff? You have to be sick or completely out of touch with what can happen to people who have to go through this. I would not wish it upon anyone.

Funny how those proposing such are never those who have done or are willing to do it themselves. Cowards.
Waste of time we have professional armed services for a reason.

Why not train them with the skills they can use to get jobs, earn a living and generate money for the UK.

The fact you call them scum, says mych more about you OP.

The fact you start your post of saying don't be rude and disrespectful is rather ironic.
It's not the military's job to babysit people who don't even want to be there. Further, imagine if you were already in the military and now you find yourself having to rely on colleagues who are only there because they're unemployed?

In any case, these people's time would be better spent trying to look for work.
The military would HATE this idea.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending