Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    so I'm 15 (leaving year 10, turn 16 in oct), and this summer I'm really trying to find a job but it's been quite difficult. I have handed in a few CVs but haven't gotten any reply after weeks. i have experience, i worked in a charity shop for about a year. i do preferably want to work in retail. Do I really stand a chance at getting a job anywhere? Does anyone know specifically any chains which would hire someone my age? most places seem to be 16+ or 18+...

i'd really appreciate any help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _b_e_n_)
    so I'm 15 (leaving year 10, turn 16 in oct), and this summer I'm really trying to find a job but it's been quite difficult. I have handed in a few CVs but haven't gotten any reply after weeks. i have experience, i worked in a charity shop for about a year. i do preferably want to work in retail. Do I really stand a chance at getting a job anywhere? Does anyone know specifically any chains which would hire someone my age? most places seem to be 16+ or 18+...

by law they can't employ you as you're under 16 the only exception is a family members business, family friends business or to do some self-sufficiently like selling stuff or do upgrades

ReputationRep:

Firstly, yes you can work and you do stand a chance of getting a job. It may be advisable to try and get a job in a local newsagents if you can, they usually get staff recruited without following a recruitment process where as Asda are not likely to hire someone 15- I know the equality act is legislation which prevents age discrimination but at the age of 15 i believe you can only do 12 hrs a week which will not appeal to Supermarkets much, they will want someone generally who can do 3-4 hrs a day on a part time rota basis. I would advise you look at smaller stores such as B&M and home bargins who seem to generally take on younger people. I have never personally worked in retail, but I know people who do and despise it, just have a look at this and it will give you a sense why companies do not generally hire people below the age of 16

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesthehustler)
    by law they can't employ you as you're under 16 the only exception is a family members business, family friends business or to do some self-sufficiently like selling stuff or do upgrades
    That's not true. You can be employed from the age of 13 providing the job is part-time only. It's full-time work you cannot lawfully start until you're 16

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katherine9609)
    That's not true. You can be employed from the age of 13 providing the job is part-time only. It's full-time work you cannot lawfully start until you're 16
    I did foreigners at the age of 12-16- I cut lawns and got paid a fiver per lawn. I was also a window cleaner, I never set up as a sole trader or paid tax so I broke the law how horiffic am I.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedDaz)
    Firstly, yes you can work and you do stand a chance of getting a job. It may be advisable to try and get a job in a local newsagents if you can, they usually get staff recruited without following a recruitment process where as Asda are not likely to hire someone 15- I know the equality act is legislation which prevents age discrimination but at the age of 15 i believe you can only do 12 hrs a week which will not appeal to Supermarkets much, they will want someone generally who can do 3-4 hrs a day on a part time rota basis. I would advise you look at smaller stores such as B&M and home bargins who seem to generally take on younger people. I have never personally worked in retail, but I know people who do and despise it, just have a look at this and it will give you a sense why companies do not generally hire people below the age of 16
    cool thanks, I have both a b&m and a home bargains about 3 mins away so I'll be sure to ask there

I'm also considering if I don't manage to get a position anywhere just to ask relatives and family friends if they need any chores doing also what about a paper round? are those worth it?

ReputationRep:
    Why dont you start by doing paper rounds/delivering magazines/brochures etc etc? Small jobs like that will lead you onto the big ones. It is pretty tiring but hey, you get some experience and money. Continue volunteering/working in charity shops as those are good too. A lot of jobs these days require you to be 16+ but good thing is you don't have that long to wait. Just keep doing small jobs here and there until you can properly apply for a job. If you have a family business or your relatives or friends own places you can work there. You can mow lawns, wash cars, take dogs for walks, stuff like that. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    cool thanks, I have both a b&m and a home bargains about 3 mins away so I'll be sure to ask there

I'm also considering if I don't manage to get a position anywhere just to ask relatives and family friends if they need any chores doing also what about a paper round? are those worth it?
    Well what I did- Urmm its not actually legal because i did not register my company I was the "go to man" on the estate, If you needed your windows cleaned just £10 for the whole house, I mowed the lawn for a fiver each and in one month in the summer holidays, i managed to make £2500 on various jobs, I also built someone a brick wall. Obviously against the law, but I did it on the sly cash in hand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedDaz)
    Well what I did- Urmm its not actually legal because i did not register my company I was the "go to man" on the estate, If you needed your windows cleaned just £10 for the whole house, I mowed the lawn for a fiver each and in one month in the summer holidays, i managed to make £2500 on various jobs, I also built someone a brick wall. Obviously against the law, but I did it on the sly cash in hand.
    Damn £2500 :eek: that's insane. i realise that's not really legal but i will really consider that.

thanks for the advice guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katherine9609)

Where can you work at 13?... and before you say WHsmith they also require a National Insurance number so they don't hire 13 year olds..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackieox)
    Where can you work at 13?... and before you say WHsmith they also require a National Insurance number so they don't hire 13 year olds..
    I simply stated what the law says about what age you can be employed from. Never did I say at the age of 13 you will be guaranteed to get a job anywhere at all.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.