The Student Room Group

job at 15...?

so I'm 15 (leaving year 10, turn 16 in oct), and this summer I'm really trying to find a job but it's been quite difficult. I have handed in a few CVs but haven't gotten any reply after weeks. i have experience, i worked in a charity shop for about a year. i do preferably want to work in retail. Do I really stand a chance at getting a job anywhere? Does anyone know specifically any chains which would hire someone my age? most places seem to be 16+ or 18+...

i'd really appreciate any help.
Original post by _b_e_n_
so I'm 15 (leaving year 10, turn 16 in oct), and this summer I'm really trying to find a job but it's been quite difficult. I have handed in a few CVs but haven't gotten any reply after weeks. i have experience, i worked in a charity shop for about a year. i do preferably want to work in retail. Do I really stand a chance at getting a job anywhere? Does anyone know specifically any chains which would hire someone my age? most places seem to be 16+ or 18+...

by law they can't employ you as you're under 16 the only exception is a family members business, family friends business or to do some self-sufficiently like selling stuff or do upgrades
Reply 2
Original post by _b_e_n_

Firstly, yes you can work and you do stand a chance of getting a job. It may be advisable to try and get a job in a local newsagents if you can, they usually get staff recruited without following a recruitment process where as Asda are not likely to hire someone 15- I know the equality act is legislation which prevents age discrimination but at the age of 15 i believe you can only do 12 hrs a week which will not appeal to Supermarkets much, they will want someone generally who can do 3-4 hrs a day on a part time rota basis. I would advise you look at smaller stores such as B&M and home bargins who seem to generally take on younger people. I have never personally worked in retail, but I know people who do and despise it, just have a look at this and it will give you a sense why companies do not generally hire people below the age of 16
Original post by jamesthehustler
by law they can't employ you as you're under 16 the only exception is a family members business, family friends business or to do some self-sufficiently like selling stuff or do upgrades

That's not true. You can be employed from the age of 13 providing the job is part-time only. It's full-time work you cannot lawfully start until you're 16
Reply 4
Original post by katherine9609
That's not true. You can be employed from the age of 13 providing the job is part-time only. It's full-time work you cannot lawfully start until you're 16

I did foreigners at the age of 12-16- I cut lawns and got paid a fiver per lawn. I was also a window cleaner, I never set up as a sole trader or paid tax so I broke the law how horiffic am I.
Original post by RedDaz
Firstly, yes you can work and you do stand a chance of getting a job. It may be advisable to try and get a job in a local newsagents if you can, they usually get staff recruited without following a recruitment process where as Asda are not likely to hire someone 15- I know the equality act is legislation which prevents age discrimination but at the age of 15 i believe you can only do 12 hrs a week which will not appeal to Supermarkets much, they will want someone generally who can do 3-4 hrs a day on a part time rota basis. I would advise you look at smaller stores such as B&M and home bargins who seem to generally take on younger people. I have never personally worked in retail, but I know people who do and despise it, just have a look at this and it will give you a sense why companies do not generally hire people below the age of 16

cool thanks, I have both a b&m and a home bargains about 3 mins away so I'll be sure to ask there :biggrin:

I'm also considering if I don't manage to get a position anywhere just to ask relatives and family friends if they need any chores doing :smile: also what about a paper round? are those worth it?
Why dont you start by doing paper rounds/delivering magazines/brochures etc etc? Small jobs like that will lead you onto the big ones. It is pretty tiring but hey, you get some experience and money. Continue volunteering/working in charity shops as those are good too. A lot of jobs these days require you to be 16+ but good thing is you don't have that long to wait. Just keep doing small jobs here and there until you can properly apply for a job. If you have a family business or your relatives or friends own places you can work there. You can mow lawns, wash cars, take dogs for walks, stuff like that. Good luck!
Reply 7
Original post by _b_e_n_
cool thanks, I have both a b&m and a home bargains about 3 mins away so I'll be sure to ask there :biggrin:

I'm also considering if I don't manage to get a position anywhere just to ask relatives and family friends if they need any chores doing :smile: also what about a paper round? are those worth it?

Well what I did- Urmm its not actually legal because i did not register my company I was the "go to man" on the estate, If you needed your windows cleaned just £10 for the whole house, I mowed the lawn for a fiver each and in one month in the summer holidays, i managed to make £2500 on various jobs, I also built someone a brick wall. Obviously against the law, but I did it on the sly cash in hand.
Original post by RedDaz
Well what I did- Urmm its not actually legal because i did not register my company I was the "go to man" on the estate, If you needed your windows cleaned just £10 for the whole house, I mowed the lawn for a fiver each and in one month in the summer holidays, i managed to make £2500 on various jobs, I also built someone a brick wall. Obviously against the law, but I did it on the sly cash in hand.

Damn £2500 :eek: that's insane. i realise that's not really legal but i will really consider that.

thanks for the advice guys :h:
Original post by katherine9609

Where can you work at 13?... and before you say WHsmith they also require a National Insurance number so they don't hire 13 year olds..
Original post by Jackieox
Where can you work at 13?... and before you say WHsmith they also require a National Insurance number so they don't hire 13 year olds..

I simply stated what the law says about what age you can be employed from. Never did I say at the age of 13 you will be guaranteed to get a job anywhere at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending