The Student Room Group

Dentistry Work Experience

Hi Im in year 12 and ive got a week of dental work experience coming up.
I understand that most universities require at least 2 weeks at a NHS GDP.

1) I have been at a private dental clinic for 2 weeks and a dental room for 1 week. Both i believe werent under the NHS. Considering i will also visit a NHS dental surgery for 1 week soon, will this be enough or will the unis still insist i have another weeks experience at an NHS GDP?

2) Does a NHS Dental Surgery count as a NHS GDP? It is affiliated under the NHS but it offers orthodontics and implants also...

Any response would be greatly appreciated.
I'd recommend emailing the universities you are considering, or ring them up, and explain what work experience you have already done or have planned and ask them if it meets their requirements. See what they say and go from there, obviously the more varied placements you can get the better, but the most important thing is to meet the requirements for the universities you're applying to and obviously learning from whatever experience you can get. Good luck with work experience and also your application! It sounds like you have got some good work experience, I hope you enjoy it :smile:
Original post by Teukjae707
Hi Im in year 12 and ive got a week of dental work experience coming up.
I understand that most universities require at least 2 weeks at a NHS GDP.

1) I have been at a private dental clinic for 2 weeks and a dental room for 1 week. Both i believe werent under the NHS. Considering i will also visit a NHS dental surgery for 1 week soon, will this be enough or will the unis still insist i have another weeks experience at an NHS GDP?

2) Does a NHS Dental Surgery count as a NHS GDP? It is affiliated under the NHS but it offers orthodontics and implants also...

Any response would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Teukjae

How are you feeling about your work experience now?

I just wanted to say that it is worth remembering that universities do understand that not everyone has access to the same opportunities. The most important thing to think about when it comes to your work experience is what you gain from the situation. Universities are looking for applicants who can reflect maturely on their experience, so do bear this in mind while you are actually doing your work experience.

You might want to have a read of this blog for some tips on the things to consider while you are at your work experience.

I hope that is of some help. Do give me shout if you have any questions.

UniAdmissions
Reply 3
Hi there,

Thanks for the reply.
I feel much better now. Ive learnt to squeeze out as much as i can from each experience.
Thankfully I have managed to gain a few more weeks of work experience and I'll definately keep your advice in mind when approaching it.

Thanks a bunch
Original post by Teukjae707
Hi there,

Thanks for the reply.
I feel much better now. Ive learnt to squeeze out as much as i can from each experience.
Thankfully I have managed to gain a few more weeks of work experience and I'll definately keep your advice in mind when approaching it.

Thanks a bunch

You're welcome, glad to have been able to help!

That is great and sounds as though you really have the right mind set for getting he best from your experience.

Just shout if there is anything we can help with.

UniAdmissions

Quick Reply

Latest