The Student Room Group

Can I study dentistry with my grades ??

Helloo! So I'm currently in year 12 and I'm looking into studying dentistry hopefully, however, most universities are looking at really high GCSE grades and mine are:

English lit: 5
English lang: 6
Maths: 5
Science: 6-6
Geography: 5
Business: 5
Art: 7
Spanish: 4

So as you can see not the *greatest* of results however I'm not unhappy as I am currently studying biology, chemistry, and psychology. I'm confident that I'll achieve really high grades in these subjects if I continue working hard however I'm not confident I'll be able to get into dentistry let alone medicine due to my GCSE grades. I'm just wondering what the best course of action would be in my case. Do I apply to a clinical degree first like biomed or pharmacy first? and if I do this first and then apply for dentistry will they STILL look at my GCSE grades?? I'm currently working really hard to build up my work experience and volunteering etc.. please help !!
Reply 1
Same Iam doing GCSE to go to in dentistry hopefully i get good grades
Reply 2
Definately if you're dedicated, get a good ucat, and get good predicted grades you should be fine - i think i saw this one guy on tiktok who didnt do too well on his gcses (like a 5 in eng lang etc) and he got into plymouth uni for dentistry - just make sure you also check unis requirements (most want a 5/6 for english language so you seem all good ) good luck!!
Reply 3
Original post by misa!!
Definately if you're dedicated, get a good ucat, and get good predicted grades you should be fine - i think i saw this one guy on tiktok who didnt do too well on his gcses (like a 5 in eng lang etc) and he got into plymouth uni for dentistry - just make sure you also check unis requirements (most want a 5/6 for english language so you seem all good ) good luck!!

Thank you so much for this response. This gives me a lot of hope !! <3
Original post by lin.exe
Helloo! So I'm currently in year 12 and I'm looking into studying dentistry hopefully, however, most universities are looking at really high GCSE grades and mine are:

English lit: 5
English lang: 6
Maths: 5
Science: 6-6
Geography: 5
Business: 5
Art: 7
Spanish: 4

So as you can see not the *greatest* of results however I'm not unhappy as I am currently studying biology, chemistry, and psychology. I'm confident that I'll achieve really high grades in these subjects if I continue working hard however I'm not confident I'll be able to get into dentistry let alone medicine due to my GCSE grades. I'm just wondering what the best course of action would be in my case. Do I apply to a clinical degree first like biomed or pharmacy first? and if I do this first and then apply for dentistry will they STILL look at my GCSE grades?? I'm currently working really hard to build up my work experience and volunteering etc.. please help !!

Hi there

I think Universities pay more attention to A levels, so I try to focus on getting the best grades you can in A levels right now.

For GCSE grades, I would recommend checking individual University entry requirements. This would also help you to shortlist a few Universities that you are interested in applying for.

I agree with building up work experience. Where possible something related dentistry, but if not, most work that you have undertaken should have transferrable skills, for example: listening, communication... all of which you can reflect on and include in your personal statement. You may also try to look for any online (virtual) work experience as another method of proving your interest in dentistry.

I hope this helps & good luck!
Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest