The Student Room Group

An American in the UK

Hi,

I'm an American high school student who's super interested in applying to UK schools. The two main things important to me are that the school has to be well-regarded in the humanities (probably will go into English, though some schools have an English and History course which appeals to me) and location. I live in Chicago and am used to city life, so while I'd prefer a university located in a larger city, even more so I want a location that is hip and has a lot to offer culturally. That more or less explains the fact that the schools I've decided I'm definitely applying to are in London and Edinburgh:

University of Edinburgh
King's College London
Queen Mary Univesity of London

I've heard people say good things about Manchester, Bristol, Brighton, etc. but I'd love to hear what people think are great places in the UK to study and that are overall fun and culturally rich. Doesn't necessarily have to be Chicago-sized, but a place I can retreat to if I don't want to get sucked into campus life.

I realize no other town is going to be London, but anywhere nice with a lot going on and a prestigious university will do.

Thanks
Original post by eliyahul'orignal
Hi,

I'm an American high school student who's super interested in applying to UK schools. The two main things important to me are that the school has to be well-regarded in the humanities (probably will go into English, though some schools have an English and History course which appeals to me) and location. I live in Chicago and am used to city life, so while I'd prefer a university located in a larger city, even more so I want a location that is hip and has a lot to offer culturally. That more or less explains the fact that the schools I've decided I'm definitely applying to are in London and Edinburgh:

University of Edinburgh
King's College London

I've heard people say good things about Manchester, Bristol, Brighton, etc. but I'd love to hear what people think are great places in the UK to study and that are overall fun and culturally rich. Doesn't necessarily have to be Chicago-sized, but a place I can retreat to if I don't want to get sucked into campus life.

I realize no other town is going to be London, but anywhere nice with a lot going on and a prestigious university will do.

Thanks

Firstly a point about terminology: in the UK, 'school' refers to compulsory education up to the age of 18, and so the word you want is universities (and definitely not 'colleges' as that's something completely different again).
Secondly, do take a look at http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings/ to get an assessment of different universities. Of the ones you listed, KCL has the best overall score for English, and Edinburgh has the best overall score averaged across all subjects. Since you mentioned prestige, certainly think about Oxford or Cambridge, since their degrees are widely considered by employers to have greater intellectual rigour. I would say for humanities Oxford is slightly better whereas Cambridge is more geared towards science/maths, but ultimately it's a subjective decision since both are extremely well-regarded.
Hopefully some of this advice proves useful to you.
Reply 2
I think you might be mistaking TSR for TripAdvisor :wink:

But one key thing, have you checked the costs of studying in the UK as an International? Unlike the US there's very little funding available and universities are not "needs-blind".
Lol, it is still cheaper than studying in the US.

Have you thought about studying in a city like Manchester, Sheffield or Leeds? All three universities (UoM, UoS and UoL) are all internationally known for the quality of their graduates. Plus their living costs are infinitely cheaper than in London and Edinburgh.
Reply 5

I'll say again, have you checked? In detail.

In-state universities are much cheaper than UK. And the top US schools offer significant funding for US students.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Come up North to Manchester or Liverpool. Two great cities with well regarded universities and the people are much more friendly.

You will be required to self fund £15k a year at least on fees alone-you will be ineligible for all forms of financial help from the British government, so every single penny must come out of your own pocket. You do realise this?
Reply 8

Let's take a look at this point.
For King's:
£16,250 for tuition per year
They state £1,000-1,200 per month for living costs (so accommodation, food, etc): take this as £1,100 to average it out.
Say this is for a full year, £13,200 for the year.
Add this together, it's £29,450 per year, or $38,800. All out of your own pocket.

Whereas, for
Illinois University:
Around $33,000 per year as an Illinois resident, according to their website.
Not only that, as you are a US citizen, you get funding, and a lot of Universities will fund 100% of your need - an example of that being Chicago.

So no, it is not cheaper.
Reply 9
Original post by celloel
Let's take a look at this point.
For King's:
£16,250 for tuition per year
They state £1,000-1,200 per month for living costs (so accommodation, food, etc): take this as £1,100 to average it out.
Say this is for a full year, £13,200 for the year.
Add this together, it's £29,450 per year, or $38,800. All out of your own pocket.

Whereas, for
Illinois University:
Around $33,000 per year as an Illinois resident, according to their website.
Not only that, as you are a US citizen, you get funding, and a lot of Universities will fund 100% of your need - an example of that being Chicago.

So no, it is not cheaper.

Exactly. Otherwise UK universities would be full of US students. And they aren't.

Only approx 1% of students are from the US.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
For the final time, I'm totally aware the cost of university in the UK will be out of pocket :tongue: And yes, considering I don't qualify for substantial financial aid, the cost of tuition will still be cheaper in the UK. Living costs in London/Edinburgh are a different story, but still.
Also, if you knew anything about the costs of private universities in the United States, the annual cost of attending New York University for example (tuition plus living expenses) is approximately $75,000. This is also a school notorious for its paltry financial aid. Out-of-state tuition for public universities is similarly steep, (the out-of-state expenses for one of the best public universities, University of Michigan, being roughly $60,000). In-state tuition for a public university is better, but not significantly, nor all that worth it if you live in a state without a top-level public school. The best public school in Illinois, UI-Urbana-Champaign, would still cost $35,000 altogether for an Illinois resident like me. This would be quite a deal if one is excited by the prospect of attending a lackluster university in the rural midwest, but if you can afford it, most would choose to go elsewhere.

Sadly, private universities and public universities for out-of-state students are egregiously expensive in the US, and if you don't qualify for much financial aid you can either go to an in-state school to barely cut down on expenses or suck it up. Considering the UK has some of the best universities in the world and the listed price is unquestionably more reasonable than that in the US, if you don't qualify for much financial aid in America, Britain's a bargain.
For the final time, I'm totally aware the cost of university in the UK will be out of pocket :tongue: And yes, considering I don't qualify for substantial financial aid, the cost of tuition will still be cheaper in the UK. Living costs in London/Edinburgh are a different story, but still.

Why don't you consider universities in other cities in the north of England, like Manchester, Sheffield, Leeds or Newcastle? Living costs are infinitely cheaper (I lived in Sheffield, and my monthly rent including bills was less than my friend in London's weekly rent not including bills) and the people are friendlier.
Hi,

University of Edinburgh
King's College London

Thanks

Have you heard of Birmingham? It's the 2nd largest city in the UK, behind London. And it's a lot less industrial looking than Manchester and Sheffield. Look up Birmingham Bullring, Grand Central, Cannon Hill Park, we have West Midlands Safari, we have Drayton Manor Theme Park, Alton Towers is a city away, so is Cadbury World. Birmingham/West Midlands have it all. Check it out.

Have not a clue about the uni, but the nightlife here is been regarded by many people to be one of the best in England. If you wanna party, get yourself down to Broad St.

But anyway, you should really look at the uni. But as I can see, I'd rather study in the UK rather than the US right now... However, you need to pay close attention to unis as UK is leaving EU which might mean international student uni fees might go up.
Hi,

University of Edinburgh
King's College London

Thanks

Ignore everyone going on about price, its your choice where you study, and most are aware that many good US schools are much pricier than being an international upfront fee paying student at a UK university, its your choice what you want to do, and the UK is a great place to be as a student.

As for reputable universities, the Russel group universities are very reputable worldwide for their research and degree programmes, going to one of them will gain you a prestigious degree in UK terms. But if your going back to the US im pretty sure universities higher up the international league tables will be of greater benefit to you. One point being here is that they are also notoriously harder to get into.

In london prestigious universities are all over in the way of ICL, UCL, Kings, QMUL etc. all of which will gain you a great degree in any department. My one issue with London is living costs, it is extortionate to live in London as a student as rent is £30-50 pounds higher per week than anywhere else in the country, and that really does add up especially when you get very little aid financially.

Other prestigious universities in big cities include:
Edinburgh - a good choice, nice city, but can be a little pricey. Culture wise it is very nice to.
Manchester - very large city in the North of England with a very reputable university, good airports, very good nightlife and bucket loads of culture (from music to you name it, manchester is full of culture).
Cardiff - slightly lower on the league tables than the others on the list, similar position to QMUL, but it is the capital city of wales, again with great airport, nice shopping, great nightlife and heaps of welsh culture. A plus in cardiff is your half an hour from the beach and from the welsh countryside with is stunning. Cheapest student city to live in (official) with rent being as low as £80 per week in some cases.
Sheffield - very good university in a slightly smaller (some would say slightly less cultured) city.
Birmingham - very reputable university in a great city, good nightlife and very central in the country so great if you would like to see a little bit of england as you can travel to pretty much anywhere from birmingham. Also has an airport.

There are so so many reputable universities in the russel group and most are in big cities bursting with culture so have a look on their website http://russellgroup.ac.uk/about/our-universities/
Universities outside of the russel group are often also good but because they are often newer they are not as internationally recognised which may cause you issues. like I said before russel group does mean higher entry requirements.
I'm from Chicago. I went to LUC for undergrad but did my masters at University of Birmingham. Its definitely a good mix of a university town(think UIUC) but you're also really close to the city center which is like a mix of downtown Naperville and Chicago.

Overall, a great school in the UK including accommodation tends to be cheaper than just tuition at an average school in the US. It definitely depends on the amount of grants and scholarship you could receive at whatever school you like in the US.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending