The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
metaphysical
Ok so who is in the same **** situation as me?
Personally, i am re-marking 3 things as they seem WAY off from my predicted/my own feeling after the test/ and generally just absurd.
But in the worst case scenario, what are the chnces they take u in anyways? And when do the let you know?
I am so so so scred:frown:
I can only suggest you look back on the TSR posts this time last year and later through August. There'll be posts reflecting similar situations as your own, I'm sure, and you can judge what you need to do/get. Again, good luck. I know the LSE is brutal, as they give out x2 times the offers as they need. But Oxbridge are much tighter and probably don't want to lose their offers. I reckon if you got AAB at A level or worse, with an AAA needed, you'd defiinitely be screw$d.
Reply 2
Yea i have looked through and theres not too much info. Generally people missed 1-2 points and complained but never said whether they got in in the end. I am missing more than 2 atm :s-smilie: But im still relying on the fact there was a mistake. This is actually so devastating :frown:
Reply 3
metaphysical
Yea i have looked through and theres not too much info. Generally people missed 1-2 points and complained but never said whether they got in in the end. I am missing more than 2 atm :s-smilie: But im still relying on the fact there was a mistake. This is actually so devastating :frown:

metaphysical what was your offer and what did you get?
how far off are you?
Reply 4
aaauuuuuuu all of u were so close.... :-(
oxbridge are hard.... u need to know what your capable of...
Reply 5
Yea they messed up my Biology and EE grades so i reckon i have about 39-40 wich means i will be missing my offer by 2-3 points. My head colled Cambridge and they were very nice- said they wont even look at my stuff until the remarks come back in August and that I am not to worry.
But **** knows, really, im parying for them remarks.

Also exams are a matter of luck when it come to it, and tbh getting 42 is a bit of a lottery at times.

*FINGERS CROSSED*
Reply 6
i got 42:biggrin: ...but i had no offer for Oxford...didn't apply though...but i'd like to send LSE my results...just so it would be: IN THEIR STUPID FACE :biggrin:
it's their loss anyway...

they gave you an obscurely high offer though...i hope they didn't plan to cut you out...hope your remarks will be acknowledged...
Reply 7
I dont think they planned it :smile: and hope they wont. Checked their statistics for this year- very few offers, fewer than usual. So hopefully they didnt have that in mind :wink:

well done Nomasaya! :wink:

(no im not being bitter :biggrin:)
Reply 8
Metaphysical - firstly, I'm really sorry to hear this. The IB is known to mess up big time. Just pray that your re-marks will be positive.

Secondly, I'll be very honest with you. Cambridge is known to take candidates they really like even if they miss their offers. What did you get on the LNAT? If it's very good, then that will help a great deal.

It's very hard for anyone to tell you whether you get the place as it all depends on your college.

All the best and I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Anil.
Reply 9
My conditional was on 39 points with a 7 in mathematics and 6s in physics and chemistry...

However I got 40 with a 7 in physics and 6s in maths and chemistry...
My school called me in the morning telling me to contact the uni myself, cause apparently it's the boldness that counts. A very nice girl at the admissions who seemed to know nothing of IB commented that with a deferred entry they DO expect people to meet the requirements. In the end I decided to email the tutors (who are on holidays) asking to still consider me a candidate with a CC to the admissions.

I'm going to spend my gap year studying Aerospace in Holland, so my math will be of a high standard. However, last year we got a new teacher who was so lame that he let down the whole class... half of the people just failed. i'm trying to see if the school would admit it, write a letter to Oxford maybe it'll help. so messed up.... i'm just as devastated... and actually i have exceeded the offer. dunno, i was told (but not by the admissions) that the tutors are on holidays, but what i'm going to do is to email them directly with a CC to the admissions office.

so good luck, metaphysical! let the force be with us!
Reply 10
nomayasu : where did u apply then??

anooshka : have they accepted you then?
Reply 11
The re-mark results will come in september.......moreover, if you have received less than pedicted you got to wait till August........coz the A-level results are expected in August.......then left over seat will be offered to the the candidates.......sorry its not fair though.
Reply 12
They replied to me and I GOT ACCEPTED TO OXFORD! :biggrin:
:biggrin:
...the only problem is that i'm still.... feeling a bit down with this stupid 6 on my diploma for math.
Reply 13
annouschka
They replied to me and I GOT ACCEPTED TO OXFORD! :biggrin:
...the only problem is that i'm still.... feeling a bit down with this stupid 6 on my diploma for math.

Congrats!!
To which college?
Reply 14
fibiso,
yeah... it's been quite a roller-coaster for me :-P

siddhartha,
Mansfield. What's yours? :biggrin:
Wow Congrats :smile:
Reply 16
Merton!
it would be great if all you people could put your experience in that remarks thread of mine, so we could have a bank of people who have gone through the remarking, its such a lot of money would be good if everyone had a place to look each year and work out how others did in comparison to work out whether remarking was worth the risk
Reply 18
andy_cole2
worth the risk
can the grade go down?
Latin127
can the grade go down?

Yep. (Edit: oh, apparently not. I stand corrected.)

Though I think he was talking more about the financial risk. Costs like £40 per paper in some cases. (Edit: well, not necessarily accurate, because I'm talking from an A-level perspective. :p: But something like that.)

Latest

Trending

Trending