The Student Room Group

Japanese Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jazmine
Hello!

Hope everyone is well!!

How's your Japanese language learning going, for those who are studying it?

I'm studying Japanese at University now (intermediate level). I'm finding it pretty hard to retain knowledge, so I was wondering if anyone's got any tips to help?

I started a blog to write notes up, which is helping because I'm actually properly going through what I'm learning and refreshing my memory, but I wondered if anyone here might have things that have worked well for them.

Just feel quite a bit slower than the people in my class, mostly due to my lack of vocabulary, I believe.

As with any language (or skill, for that matter) the best way to improve and learn is to actively use and practice it. I'm learning, but its all self-taught, so there's a chance I'll be at a slightly lower level than you. Could you link me to your blog? I'll try to update the community here if I find a chat site or similar that focuses on learning the language.
Original post by Brutal_Pigeon
As with any language (or skill, for that matter) the best way to improve and learn is to actively use and practice it. I'm learning, but its all self-taught, so there's a chance I'll be at a slightly lower level than you. Could you link me to your blog? I'll try to update the community here if I find a chat site or similar that focuses on learning the language.

Yeah, it's true. I've contacted people to become language exchange buddies to practice speaking and listening skills (as I'm very~ bad at both!!).

Somehow I found that I learnt more by myself? Only, I did not easily learn the social/cultural implications of the language I was learning, if that makes sense. But I think that's probably because, nowadays, I don't really have time for things like keeping in contact with online penpals, etc, whereas I used to do it all the time come to think of it, I am just (kind of) learning stuff and never using it. -_-

Well, okay, that's a little unfair. I learn more at University, simply because I speak about things I never seemed to want to speak about before. So there is tons of new vocabulary for me to learn all the time! I just mean it doesn't sink in anymore like it used to.

Sure! My blog is Japanese-Revision (same as on my signature).
Reply 2162
Original post by Brutal_Pigeon

Self-study > classrooms
Reply 2163
Finally sent off my UCAS for Japanese/Japanese Studies! So excited :biggrin: I've applied to Edinburgh, Leeds, Manchester, Sheffield and SOAS. Big motivation to revise more for A2 Japanese! Kanji practice though... :boring:
Original post by Folks
Finally sent off my UCAS for Japanese/Japanese Studies! So excited :biggrin: I've applied to Edinburgh, Leeds, Manchester, Sheffield and SOAS. Big motivation to revise more for A2 Japanese! Kanji practice though... :boring:

Which would be your first choice? Edinburgh is a beautiful city. :smile:
Reply 2165
Original post by BeyondandAbove
Which would be your first choice? Edinburgh is a beautiful city. :smile:

My family are saying I should go for Edinburgh as they know it's reputation well, but I really like the look of Leeds! I think Sheffield will be my reserve regardless
Reply 2166
Anyone doing the JLPT tomorrow? Good luck if you are! :smile:
Good luck to any taking JLPT today. Maybe I'll unknowingly see you around.
Did N5 today, was ridiculously easy, should definitely have gone for N4. Think I'll try and sit N3 in June/July. How did everyone else get on doing JLPT?
Original post by atheistwithfaith
Did N5 today, was ridiculously easy, should definitely have gone for N4. Think I'll try and sit N3 in June/July. How did everyone else get on doing JLPT?

Yeah, see if you can push yourself to N3.

I did N1; the reading/grammar was alright, but the listening floored me. Was not prepared for them speaking that fast and had to do a lot of guessing. Oh well, I can always re-take it next year.
Original post by Jazmine
Hello!

Hope everyone is well!!

How's your Japanese language learning going, for those who are studying it?

I'm studying Japanese at University now (intermediate level). I'm finding it pretty hard to retain knowledge, so I was wondering if anyone's got any tips to help?

I started a blog to write notes up, which is helping because I'm actually properly going through what I'm learning and refreshing my memory, but I wondered if anyone here might have things that have worked well for them.

Just feel quite a bit slower than the people in my class, mostly due to my lack of vocabulary, I believe.

Its difficult. I'm just approaching the end of my first simester and am having to work really hard. I spend most of my time just reading the vocab list over and over. I think as far as retention goes you just have to keep going over it. I'm planning on working through the christmas break which should give me a little breathing space. I'm enjoying the challenge tho. Its good. Next semester I'm gonna join the language exchange club thingy at uni so i'll actually be using it. Hopefully the wonderful 'revising by watching films' phase should come shortly after that. Good luck. :smile:
I have some questions about the history of Japan in terms of the difference between Ninja and Samurai. Is that true Ninjas were spies of emperors and Samurais the guard of them? There are people who don't think so in terms of the rank of ninjas. In their view they were just skilful thieves. So, what is right?
Original post by Kallisto
I have some questions about the history of Japan in terms of the difference between Ninja and Samurai. Is that true Ninjas were spies of emperors and Samurais the guard of them? There are people who don't think so in terms of the rank of ninjas. In their view they were just skilful thieves. So, what is right?

As far as I understand Ninjas were assassins. Shadowy figures that we don't know a huge amount about who probably came from the lower classes and were often hired to kill samurai. I'm sure theres a lot of good books on the subject. Takashi Miike's latest two films, Hara Kiri and 13 assassins are pretty interesting takes on samurai if you like that sort of thing.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by green.tea
As far as I understand Ninjas were assassins. Shadowy figures that we don't know a huge amount about who probably came from the lower classes and were often hired to kill samurai. (...)

Now you said it, I remember me to read that Ninjas were assassins. That makes sense, as they were skillful fighters which were hardly seen by someone. They were so good that they were able to kill even Samurais. But I have read that they were not good weaponless fighters... is that true?
こんにちはみんなさん!スーパーかわいいです!はじめまして!大学で中国語と日本語を勉強します。とてもおもしろいだと思います!

Sorry, couldn't help writing a bit in Japanese :smile:
Now you said it, I remember me to read that Ninjas were assassins. That makes sense, as they were skillful fighters which were hardly seen by someone. They were so good that they were able to kill even Samurais. But I have read that they were not good weaponless fighters... is that true?

Well from what I understand, from films, ninja were like dirty fighters. While samurai had a strict code ninjas did whatever was most effective. I doubt they'd have beat samurai in straight combat, but they'd never have engaged samurai in straight combat. Projectiles, like ninja stars, probably with poison was more their style. As for weaponless, I reckon they'd have been skilled in most forms of combat.
(edited 11 years ago)
Well from what I understand, from films, ninja were like dirty fighters. While samurai had a strict code ninjas did whatever was most effective. I doubt they'd have beat samurai in straight combat, but they'd never have engaged samurai in straight combat. Projectiles, like ninja stars, probably with poison was more their style.

In other words: they were coward, weren't them? and I thought that ninjas were dangerous Martial Artists. Moreover I have heard that they had good knowledge about anatomy and poison. Is that true at least?
In other words: they were coward, weren't them? and I thought that ninjas were dangerous Martial Artists. Moreover I have heard that they had good knowledge about anatomy and poison. Is that true at least?

Probably. I think Ninjas were very dangerous martial artists but it was of a different type to Samurai. Ninjas were all about subterfuge and getting the job done whereas Samurai were warriors, with a value set that made them extremely effective warriors. They did different jobs. Oh, almost forgot..

http://www.realultimatepower.net/index4.htm

Check out the hate mail section:

You must be the stupidest piece of **** on this damn planet. You make a site about 'REAL NINJAS' because they are 'TOTALLY SWEET' when in fact you dont know bull**** about them, you make this **** up off of the top of your deformed head, and you even tell ppl damn screwed up lies. you call this **** factual? damnit you probably have no ****in idea what a shuriken is. ninjas don't flip out. they dont play guitars. they dont use crap like lasers. you have no idea what a pirate is. go look it up in a ****in book, i mean a REAL book. how the hell can you publish this sort of ****? ninjas CANT FLY. they CANT USE MAGIC. they dont kill whoever they want. they are really peasants trained to use stealth and to kill, using REAL weapons, such as shurikens, darts, etc. their targets were NOT pirates, they were usually important political or military figures, often they killed high ranking samurai and the like. go learn something REAL about REAL NINJAS, then you can publish that.

i hope you publish this on your damn site, and make as many comments as you can ****in come up with. other ppl also know you are messed up. i'm not alone.
(edited 11 years ago)
(...) Ninjas were all about subterfuge and getting the job done whereas Samurai were warriors, with a value set that made them extremely effective warriors. (...)

So, samurais can be compare to knights in Europe, am I right? samurais are well-known to used katanas, a sword which is so sharp that an amour of a knight can be cut through, if they want. Are there other weapons which were used by samurais?
(edited 11 years ago)
So, samurais can be compare to knights in Europe, am I right? samurais are well-known to used katanas, a sword which is so sharp that an amour of a knight can be cut through, if they want. Are there other weapons which were used by samurais?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC0rwG5rR8Y

Theres a bit on samurai weapons too. The whole series is available for download on a well known website.

I'd say knights and samurai had a lot in common.

Quick Reply

Latest