The Student Room Group

What did/do you LEAST like about nursing/uni?

Just for fun I suppose! I'm only first year but so far it has to be the fact everytime you have placement it's like starting a whole new job and I find that difficult at times. I'd like to hear everyone else's!

Posted from TSR Mobile
postives I found when I was a student nurse (was several years ago now): experiencing different areas of practice and seeing what I liked and disliked about them. Going into placement with an open mind and seeing what goes on helps you to understand the bigger picture when working as a qualified nurse.

Negatives: having to miss out on learning opportunities because you've been abused as a spare HCA and to disagree with this would mean you're too posh to wash
Reply 2
Original post by moonkatt
postives I found when I was a student nurse (was several years ago now): experiencing different areas of practice and seeing what I liked and disliked about them. Going into placement with an open mind and seeing what goes on helps you to understand the bigger picture when working as a qualified nurse.

Negatives: having to miss out on learning opportunities because you've been abused as a spare HCA and to disagree with this would mean you're too posh to wash

Completely agree with that negative!! I was a hca for 4 years before I started training....I don't need to be following hcas around all my placement....but like you say....means your either idle or you have a false image of a nurse which is completely untrue

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by wbnurse
Completely agree with that negative!! I was a hca for 4 years before I started training....I don't need to be following hcas around all my placement....but like you say....means your either idle or you have a false image of a nurse which is completely untrue

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree totally. I think doing things such as obs and fluid balance charts etc are of importance and linked to nursing, but not only do I not like it, but washing people and making beds etc (although the "fundamentals of nursing") for 4 months isn't really teaching you much about nursing and tbh not many of the staff nurses seem to get involved in this. However, HCAs do so much work and a ward could in no way function without them, but I do hate how if you show interest in more of the science side or wanting to do something else you're seen as though you're trying to avoid this stuff when actually you just want to learn something different.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending