A Level choices? Watch

SchrodingersMatt
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Just wondering what everyones A Level choices for September are and why. Feel free to discuss
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed
Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Fox Corner)
x
JackLeggett
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by SchrodingersMatt)
Just wondering what everyones A Level choices for September are and why. Feel free to discuss
As you havent had many replies I though I would Im doing Maths Biology and chemistry at A level what about you
SchrodingersMatt
Rep:
?
(Original post by JackLeggett)
As you havent had many replies I though I would Im doing Maths Biology and chemistry at A level what about you
Ha, thanks. Maths, further maths, physics and chemistry. Enjoy biology 😉😂
Youngey4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by SchrodingersMatt)
Ha, thanks. Maths, further maths, physics and chemistry. Enjoy biology 😉😂
I'm doing the exact same as you Matt. Do you know what exam boards?
AdeptDz
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Maths, Further Maths, Computing and Economics

Posted from TSR Mobile
newusername96
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
the above are all good choices/combos, I personally did A Level Maths, Physics and Biology
Rajive
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by BasharAssad)
the above are all good choices/combos, I personally did A Level Maths, Physics and Biology
How did you find them individually?
riyadhussain123
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Personally I would definitely avoid doing 3 sciences with maths
dragonkeeper999
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by riyadhussain123)
Personally I would definitely avoid doing 3 sciences with maths
If you want to do a science course at uni, many require maths and at least one, often two sciences. Three sciences with maths is a perfect combination...
iwishicouldfly14
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If I move schools I'll be doing Maths, Physics, Further Maths and Computing.
If I stay I'll be doing Maths, Physics, Further Maths and God knows what.
I was planning on doing Chemistry but I hate it now and my current school doesn't really have many options so we'll see.
riyadhussain123
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by dragonkeeper999)
If you want to do a science course at uni, many require maths and at least one, often two sciences. Three sciences with maths is a perfect combination...
2 sciences with maths is enough imo, i did my AS last year and the new spec is significantly harder than the old spec especially with the sciences. Maths is fine but the sciences killed me because the papers were 10x harder than the past papers because they were new spec papers. You have to be realistic and think about choosing your subjects carefully, i thought the sciences would be a great combo but i regretted choosing them halfway through the year, as well as many people I know who chose 2-3 sciences plus a 4th subject
dragonkeeper999
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
2 sciences with maths is enough imo, i did my AS last year and the new spec is significantly harder than the old spec especially with the sciences. Maths is fine but the sciences killed me because the papers were 10x harder than the past papers because they were new spec papers. You have to be realistic and think about choosing your subjects carefully, i thought the sciences would be a great combo but i regretted choosing them halfway through the year, as well as many people I know who chose 2-3 sciences plus a 4th subject
Personally, I think taking closely related subjects is a lot easier than day taking two sciences, maths and history. The skills and knowledge are much more easily transferred between subjects, for example the mechanics modules in maths conver a huge chunk of the physics syllabus, thus reducing the overall amount of work you do. Also, people who are good at science subjects may not be very good at arts or humanities, so there isn't much choice...
riyadhussain123
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by dragonkeeper999)
Personally, I think taking closely related subjects is a lot easier than day taking two sciences, maths and history. The skills and knowledge are much more easily transferred between subjects, for example the mechanics modules in maths conver a huge chunk of the physics syllabus, thus reducing the overall amount of work you do. Also, people who are good at science subjects may not be very good at arts or humanities, so there isn't much choice...
fair point
Rajive
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What sciences did you do? Are you taking any of them on to year 13?
SchrodingersMatt
Rep:
?
(Original post by Youngey4)
I'm doing the exact same as you Matt. Do you know what exam boards?
AQA for the science and I think either EDEXCEL or AQA for the math subjects

Good luck!!!
riyadhussain123
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Rajive)
What sciences did you do? Are you taking any of them on to year 13?
I did maths, chem, physics and geography
I'm dropping physics because I hate it and i found out I didn't need it for my uni course
riyadhussain123
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I did maths, chem, physics and geography
I'm dropping physics because I hate it and i found out I didn't need it for my uni course
I did like physics at gcse but it all changed
newusername96
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Rajive)
How did you find them individually?
Quite good tbh, my favourite was Maths!
Elastichedgehog
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As someone who's recently finished A levels make sure you think about which Uni/what course you're going to do, just in case you need something specific. Seems like common sense but it's important ^.^
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.51%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (69)
15.4%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (84)
18.75%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (181)
40.4%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.69%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.25%