The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Clubber Lang
Possibly.

If that's possibly true, then how would your assertion that admitting celebrities would benefit Cambridge be true, if they're not even going to interview the people who are attracted by that?
Its possible. Its not totally confirmed.

Why is it hard to believe that people who are attracted to the idea of studying where a lot of famous people went won't also be very clever? Infact it may even be a case of attracting that student over Oxford or one of the other top Universities - so it still gives Cambridge somesort of advantage.
Reply 122
Clubber Lang

Why is it hard to believe that people who are attracted to the idea of studying where a lot of famous people went won't also be very clever? Infact it may even be a case of attracting that student over Oxford or one of the other top Universities - so it still gives Cambridge somesort of advantage.

It's possible, but not totally confirmed, is it? Ha - you should consider applying for Politics.

You're not going to Cambridge because of it's outstanding list of actress alumni - you're going because it happens to offer you the best teaching available in the world, in many areas of research.
Clubber Lang

In fact, it is completely contradicted by everybody who has replied to you on this thread.
Clubber Lang

Why is it hard to believe that people who are attracted to the idea of studying where a lot of famous people went won't also be very clever?

That's everybody's point. Cambridge is ALREADY a place where famous people studied. One more is a drop in the bucket that admissions WON'T care enough about to waive their normal decision making process for.
CL

Infact it may even be a case of attracting that student over Oxford or one of the other top Universities - so it still gives Cambridge somesort of advantage.
Not enough of an advantage for them to care..they have to turn away people by the droves and have no problem finding more than enough ideal candidates for every place they offer. They don't NEED and advantage. They certainly won't change the way they choose people in order to attract more people as they have absolutely NO problem in that area whatsoever.
On a slightly unrelated note, Cambridge would seem to be the most sensible place to apply since it's full of high flyers and people who stand out, such that the apparently irritating and disruptive effects of celebrity might somehow be reduced. Plus, if you're into academic stuff it's rather fun...

This whole thread does seem a little mean, people seem to assume that success means that in order to balance karma it's perfectly justifiable to tarnish someone's aspriations and intentions. I'm sure she'll be just as nervous as any other undergraduate applying, more so because of the media spotlight, and probably treated on as equal a footing as is reasonable to expect.
gurk
It's possible, but not totally confirmed, is it? Ha - you should consider applying for Politics.

You're not going to Cambridge because of it's outstanding list of actress alumni - you're going because it happens to offer you the best teaching available in the world, in many areas of research.

I actually know peopel who went to Oxbridge who are like what you describe so I know for a fact some of them get through the interview procedures - so it is infact confirmed not all of them get rejected at interview stage

I don't disagree with your second bit, not quite sure what the argument is. If you look at alumni lists of Unis they are almost always listing famous people of our times as well as the more academic people.

I still think they would take someone like Watson over a non-famous person just because of who she is.
Craghyrax
In fact, it is completely contradicted by everybody who has replied to you on this thread.

That's everybody's point. Cambridge is ALREADY a place where famous people studied. One more is a drop in the bucket that admissions WON'T care enough about to waive their normal decision making process for.
Not enough of an advantage for them to care..they have to turn away people by the droves and have no problem finding more than enough ideal candidates for every place they offer. They don't NEED and advantage. They certainly won't change the way they choose people in order to attract more people as they have absolutely NO problem in that area whatsoever.

1) I disagree - you couldnt say for a fact that the kind of people you mention would get rejected at interview - infact i have evidence to the contrary.

2) I never said it would.

3) Yes, they dont activley need an advantage - that doesnt mean they wouldnt take it if it came knocking on the door.
Clubber Lang
1) I disagree - you couldnt say for a fact that the kind of people you mention would get rejected at interview - infact i have evidence to the contrary.

Read what I said again. I did not, in fact, state it as fact. I used 'if' and was speaking hypothetically. You are fully entitled to disagree.
Clubber Lang

3) Yes, they dont activley need an advantage - that doesnt mean they wouldnt take it if it came knocking on the door.

Of course they wouldn't take it, because the result of taking it would be a compromise of their reputation as 'fair'. That would be of far greater concern to them than attracting more applicants.
Reply 128
*yawn*
Back to the thread topic, this is off the Emma Watson official website (no I don't make a habit of going there! :p:): "After her schooling, Emma will take a gap year to film the final Harry Potter movie and hopefully do a bit of travelling." So it looks like she may apply for 2009 entry... I daresay that'll affect some people's decisions across the country! :p:
Reply 130
devilschild
I'd be careful about slagging her off too much on here as her cousin's at Tit Hall and I'm not sure if he reads these pages

who would her cousin be?=D

Wildebeest
To make a sweeping generalisation, I imagine there would be far fewer students goggling at her anyway at Cambridge

haha. i'd have to disagree...
Reply 131
Harry Potter geeks do tend to be nerds as well...
shady lane
This is the biggest load of crap I've read on TSR in a while.

Ever heard of Jared Kushner? I guess not.
Despite him being from my part of the world, no. He seems rich--owns a newspaper and is studying a joint law degree and MBA at NYU (one of the best in the country for both). Doesn't seem like an incapable guy for a top university, if the story you're referring to is that he "bought" his way into Harvard or something.

I said it was stupid because there is not a single US university that advertises anywhere that giving money will get you accepted. It's patently false, and the whole concept of "need-blind admissions" means that the admissions team doesn't even have access to your financial background when considering you. Obviously if you have a famous last name, that can't be avoided, but I know for a fact (I had friends who worked in the admissions office) that the only thing they are allowed to check is to confirm if you had a relative attend. But not about their giving habits.

Anyway, I'd like someone to tell me if they truly believe that a celebrity with AAA would get rejected from Oxbridge.
shady lane
I said it was stupid because there is not a single US university that advertises anywhere that giving money will get you accepted.
None 'advertise' that here either :eyeball:
shadylane

Anyway, I'd like someone to tell me if they truly believe that a celebrity with AAA would get rejected from Oxbridge.

If it was AAA where one or two of the subjects weren't considered acceptable.. like Critical Thinking.. or if it was AAB.. I think that's what the argument was really..not that they'd get rejected on AAA in correct subjects.
shady lane

When I went to the open day at King's College, I very much got the idea that the fellows were not only looking for academically able students, but also people that they would enjoy teaching. The statement about a celebrity with straight A grades fails to consider the fact that candidates have to get through quite a rigorous interview process and possibly tests as well. Using King's as an example again, there seemed to be quite a large emphasis on equality and informality there, and I highly doubt that Lily Cole was treated any differently to the other applicants.
Craghyrax
None 'advertise' that here either :eyeball:

If it was AAA where one or two of the subjects weren't considered acceptable.. like Critical Thinking.. or if it was AAB.. I think that's what the argument was really..not that they'd get rejected on AAA in correct subjects.

ChemistBoy made a comment that US universities advertise the fact that if you give money, you'll get in. Patently false.

I can't say I know, because I've only been living in the UK for a year, but are there any celebrities who have been rejected from Oxbridge that anyone is aware of?
shady lane
I can't say I know, because I've only been living in the UK for a year, but are there any celebrities who have been rejected from Oxbridge that anyone is aware of?

There might be some that haven't publicised it... Emma Watson must consider herself to have a relatively good chance of getting in if she has mentioned it publicly.

I don't know whether they are 'celebrities' as such or not, but I don't think anyone from the Royal Family would be rejected from Cambridge.
shady lane
ChemistBoy made a comment that US universities advertise the fact that if you give money, you'll get in. Patently false.

I missed that, sorry.
shady lane

Erm I'm pretty clueless about that sort of thing. I had to ask who Emma Watson and Lily Cole were to begin with :p:
I hope she gets in, for her sake. Kind of embarrassing if she doesn't at this point, although I guess she can claim that the press made it up.

Latest

Trending

Trending