The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm fairly sure that Cambridge have it down as a traditional subject, so if its good enough for them.....
Reply 2
I did AS RS along with German, Law and Accounting and got a Cambridge interview and offers from Nottingham, Manchester, Sheffield and Leeds.

So in response to your question, yes it is considered a traditional, academic subject. You are planning to take English Lit and History as well, which are both HIGHLY respected subjects. I think your choice of subjects is very good and should allow you to be accepted onto any law course (provided you get the grades, of course) :wink: .

I have thoroughly enjoyed my A-level in Religious Studies and I would definitely recommend it to someone like you. You'll cover many topics which are relevant to law: morality and ethics, credibility of evidence, to name a few.
I'd say so, perhaps not as much as English Literature or History, but probably moreso alongside Politics and Economics.
Well, it's on the Cambridge 'A' list, so that shows something, though it's probably not quite as respected as History or English lit. But it would still be a good subject to take :smile:.
Reply 5
It's traditional and respected, and much more challenging and absorbing than people think who put it down as one of those 'studies' subjects give it credit for.
Reply 6
id definately recommend taking it. its not an 'easy' subject to get your head round some of the concepts BUT it is very rewarding.
Reply 7
so hypothetically if personally i was to apply to a good university with my a-level's of English literature, Religious Studies, Drama and business, would another applicant of eng lit, history, drama and business be preferred?

p.s. I also here english lit is more respected than english language a-level, is this also true or just myth?
Yeah, that's true about Eng Lit being more respected. Eng Lit is on the 'A' list, Eng Lang is on the 'B' list at Cambridge.

I think it would depend on the course. But in a way they both show the same skills. Possibly the History would be slightly more favoured, but I think in that case it would be a case of other extra-curricular. But I think both might be disadvantaged by having only 2 'A' list subjects, whereas many would have more than that. But you really couldn't say.
Reply 9
I honestly haven't found it academically challenging and it required little work in comparison to English lit. You could get an A by doing the bare minimum. Only do it if you're really interested otherwise it isn't worth the time.
colemanator
so hypothetically if personally i was to apply to a good university with my a-level's of English literature, Religious Studies, Drama and business, would another applicant of eng lit, history, drama and business be preferred?

p.s. I also here english lit is more respected than english language a-level, is this also true or just myth?

Not really because there isn't much between the subjects of history and RS in terms of respectability.
Reply 11
I think you should choose the subjects you would enjoy most, before thinking about universities, instead of picking the universities first and trying to make your subjects meet the entry criteria. The second choice, the choice you seem to have made, is more likely to make you unhappy both when doing your A-levels and beyond.
I wouldn't say it was quite as respected as history and English lit, but it's still a traditional academic subject and on the Cambridge A list. If you'd prefer it to another subject that's slightly more respected, take it because it's unlikely to make a difference and you'll have more motivation to work hard and do well.
Reply 13
RS is more respected than Drama or Business - I do believe, correct me if I'm wrong, that the latter are both blacklisted by some universities, though I'm not sure, but I think that's the case.
Reply 14
Religious Studies is a rigorous and widely respected subject. It may have ‘Studies’ on the end, but it’s one of the exceptions. As to whether it’s on par with English Literature or History, that’s debatable, but Trinity College, Cambridge do have all three subjects on their List A which is very suitable A-Levels – So really, you won’t be disadvantaged at all by having it.
Reply 15
Andrzej S.
Religious Studies is a rigorous and widely respected subject. It may have ‘Studies’ on the end, but it’s one of the exceptions. As to whether it’s on par with English Literature or History, that’s debatable, but Trinity College, Cambridge do have all three subjects on their List A which is very suitable A-Levels So really, you won’t be disadvantaged at all by having it.

:dito: I agree :smile: . Some people are put off RS just because it has 'Studies' on the end. But what else would you call it? An A-Level in Religion/Religious Education doesn't sound exactly better. Theology would sound better but it wouldn't exactly be an accurate description because A-Level RS involves a wide range of issues, e.g. ethics, science, philosophy, and is not solely concerned with the study of God.
Lusus Naturae
I think you should choose the subjects you would enjoy most, before thinking about universities, instead of picking the universities first and trying to make your subjects meet the entry criteria. The second choice, the choice you seem to have made, is more likely to make you unhappy both when doing your A-levels and beyond.

:dito:
rachd_22
id definitely recommend taking it. its not an 'easy' subject to get your head round some of the concepts BUT it is very rewarding.

I agree...and it teaches you good debating and essay writing skills, looking at things from other perspectives - good for a career in Law!
I did RS for A level and I really enjoyed it.
Reply 18
sophisticated
I agree...and it teaches you good debating and essay writing skills, looking at things from other perspectives - good for a career in Law!
I did RS for A level and I really enjoyed it.

It's funny you should say that because that's one of the reasons I took A-Level RS, apart from the fact that I enjoyed it and was good at it. It really does teach you to have an open mind and respect other people's opinions. You have to be prepared to listen to the other side of the story and consider alternative viewpoints.
Sounds like what you're really asking is whether or not it's respected. It's respected as much as Economics, I reckon.

Latest