The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
'ringing' silence is terrible, you can't think at all except listen to it:s-smilie: i don't mind if i can hear traffic outside though. maybe it's because you feel that you're away from humans and anything that's alive.
Love it.
Reply 23
I prefer silence when i need to concentrate on something but i can work just as well in a noisy place so it doesn't really bother me :smile:
Reply 24
But what do you think about the intro to "the sound of silence", I mean I love Radiohead but their lyrics don't really say much about life.
I can't be doing with silence, it makes me restless. I live by a main road so I have this constant hum oftraffic, even in the small hours of the morning, so when I go to my parents' house, and it's silent, I can't sleep at night.

And I get that awful ringing sometimes, which makes it worse.
Lil Miss Luce
When I go to bed I can't sleep if its total silence and there's no light coming into my room at all. But during the day I love hustle and bustle can't stand trying to work with nothing else going on that's why I hardly used the library at uni because it was just to quiet.

Same.
Silence is so distracting.
Reply 27
I love silence. I am so easily distracted by sounds, and a lot of sounds just grate on my nerves - especially television I'm not watching and music that's vaguely muted by walls so you basically hear noise or drum beats instead of anything enjoyable.

Silence can be creepy when I'm im in large, strange houses, however. Especially if there is a loud clock nearby. Something about loud clocks makes any creepy situation way creepier.
hippieglitter
Does anyone else really hate silence? I can't concentrate in silence at all, i have to have music of the tv on. Silence is more of a distraction for me than anything hence why i do so awfully in exams. I also hate being in an empty house, even with music or the tv on, does anybody else get this and any idea what causes it or how i can help it cos it is really affecting my work especially exams as i have said before?

I don't like silence either, I always have music playing or the tv or radio. I've found that when you're studying for an exam it's best to study in silence or even with quiet music, just to prepare yourself when sitting the real exams. And when I'm alone, well the music just gets louder :smile:
I hate silence if i'm alone in the house, need music or tv on but if family are around then i like sitting on the computer or whatever and getting a bit of peace... akward silences in the middle of a convo are awful though :s-smilie:
Reply 30
Noise! Boom, Clatter Clatter
Reply 31
I like silence when I'm on my own. I don't like awkward silences with people though. :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending