The Student Room Group

Am I justified to tell flatmate to lower music volume

I understand that signing up to halls means that I can’t expect it to be quiet. However my flatmate plays music on his speakers enough for me to hear it in the next room. I feel hesitant to tell him because he plays it during the day however, it is exam season and I am the type of person who needs quiet or I can’t concentrate on revision. Do you guys think it’s okay to complain about it and how should I bring it up?
Original post by Cloudiii
I understand that signing up to halls means that I can’t expect it to be quiet. However my flatmate plays music on his speakers enough for me to hear it in the next room. I feel hesitant to tell him because he plays it during the day however, it is exam season and I am the type of person who needs quiet or I can’t concentrate on revision. Do you guys think it’s okay to complain about it and how should I bring it up?

I think it’s fairly reasonable. Just knock on the door and ask him to stop playing music through his speakers during exam season. It’s not that hard to use headphones instead.
Reply 2
Yep, you are revising so he/she should be a bit more considerate.
Reply 3
Yes.
Yes!

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
Meh, borderline. It's during the day and you say you can just hear it, not that's it's blaring or particularly antisocial.

Original post by SagaciousSag
Just knock on the door and ask him to stop playing music through his speakers during exam season. It’s not that hard to use headphones instead.

I would refuse such a request not to make any noise in my own space as expecting a quiet shared home is not reasonable imo, esp long term for 'seasons' . Asking for lower volume or a break is one thing but that is a v 1 sided expectation. At the end of the day if you cannot study without complete silence then living in halls was realistically never going to work for you unless everyone else has to walk on eggshells around your preferences. (like if you can't handle noise, doesn't it make more sense for you to wear the headphones, rather than everyone else?)
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending