The Student Room Group

Why did this guy not tell his friends off, or tell me off during his live?

I was watching a live yesterday, and it’s this guy I know of on social media. He’s not famous or anything, just a guy who lives on the other side of the country with a few thousand followers who goes live sometimes. His lives don’t get many views so it’s quite small amount of people most of the time.

He brings his friends on and these ones were some other ones I hadn’t seen before from other parts of the country, I don’t know if they’ve ever met in person. Anyway, I joined it (as in started watching and commenting on the live) and as soon as I did one of the friends was like “Nah f*ck that b*tch” because he didn’t like my name and asked him what sort of followers he had. His friends are normally quite “edgy” but this was crossing a line to me, he was cursing at me for literally no reason. Normally his friends are funny but decent guys. I never cursed or swore at him but I matched his energy and gave it back. The main guy who I follow was playing along with them in teasing me (but not being serious or swearing at me) until I mentioned I’m not talking to him, just the other two who are rude, his friends read it out loud and after that he never commented on anything I said and stayed well out of it although I know he was reading everything and can obviously hear them responding to me and knows what’s going on.

Mid-way through he left to get something from the shop and paused the live while the other two were on there, around this time they stopped acknowledging me and things were a bit more peaceful. I’m not sure if he texted them to stop but they did leave me alone, like all of them as if they were told not to. Also, it seemed as if he was a little taken back and unsure of how to handle the situation because most followers did not like these two guys and advised him to find better friends. That doesn’t usually happen.

He practically stayed silent and well out of it throughout the live, not saying anything to me (because I was still roasting them back, these two were honestly the most immature guys I’ve seen around my age saying racist things, calling viewers ugly b*tches etc). He didn’t involve himself in anything except the normal convos they were having but around the end they did start addressing me again and one said “Oi, no (insert my name) is actually p*ssing me off now. I’m actually getting upset” because people were telling him to get new friends and I commented that his other friends were decent and named a few. He was still silent about the situation. He’s told off viewers before and usually stands up for his friends but he didn’t with these guys, I’m aware he didn’t stand up for me either. I even said “Stop embarrassing yourself” and a few moments later “stop embarrassing (insert name of person I follow)” and they read it out loud and he still never said he wasn’t embarrassed or what .

At the end when they left he told everyone they aren’t bad guys and to give them a follow.

I just wanted to ask why he stayed out of it and didn’t have a go at me for being rude to his friends? Or the other way round? I’m contemplating whether or not I should give this guy grace if he found it awkward or just unfollow
I suspect he didn’t like what they said but didn’t want to be embarrassed by having it out with them ‘on air’.

But at the end of the day anyone here would just be guessing. Talk to him about it. The you’ll know for sure whether he’s worth following. But I would say if he’s not mature to challenge these things when they come up, he’s probably a bit of a div.
Reply 2
Original post by Admit-One
I suspect he didn’t like what they said but didn’t want to be embarrassed by having it out with them ‘on air’.

But at the end of the day anyone here would just be guessing. Talk to him about it. The you’ll know for sure whether he’s worth following. But I would say if he’s not mature to challenge these things when they come up, he’s probably a bit of a div.

I guess I could send him a message but for now I’d prefer to just see how it goes, if he’s going to apologise to everyone on behalf of his friends on the next live, or just ignore it like nothing happened.

He did seem stressed once or twice but they were micro expressions that I picked up on combined with his complete silence on both sides and not getting involved but reading all comments, plus reassuring everyone his friends are good people at the very end before ending the live
Reply 3
Original post by Admit-One

He was on live again today for the first time since that day… yeah the worst guy of the two was back on his live again, but he didn’t acknowledge me and I didn’t acknowledge him… so I guess there’s that. I don’t know, it felt like a bit of a slap in the face but it’s not like this guys a public figure for me to get annoyed about it. He’s just a normal guy that goes live on TikTok so it is what it is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending