The Student Room Group

University of Bristol Freshers

Hi! I recently moved in and i know its early days but i do feel really lonely, is anyone in the same position?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi! I recently moved in and i know its early days but i do feel really lonely, is anyone in the same position?

glad I saw this as, although obviously not there, want to say you will not be alone, feeling alone, if you see what I mean!
~ so please just go to say a communal kitchen or some sort of place where there might be other students and try also to seek out a student rep. Is there a student welfare contact?
Imagine all contacts will be on an app somewhere, but don’t suffer in silence- contact someone and it’s ok also to ring home and say this, too 🤗
post here again if want to and you could check if there is a Bristol thread on here for your subject
@Euapp any other options given you know Bristol?
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous

It is completely normal to feel a bit out of your depth and alone to start with. For most students this will be the first time living away from family , unless you were boarding before. This brings me to my next question. Which halls are you in? Certain of the catered halls can be quite cliquey as a lot of the students know each other from school. Many were boarding so have less of a problem adapting to the halls environment, but that doesn’t mean that they don’t feel alone, just that they hide it better!. If you are normally outgoing and confident however, after a few days of taking your meals in the dining halls you should start to feel at home.
If you’re in East or West village then you’re most likely self catered
in which case suggesting a flat shop at ASDA ( biggest supermarket but a little walk) might be a good bonding with flat mates opportunity. You could suggest a shared meal to get to know one another.
Try and wedge your door open, that way you see when the others are heading to the kitchen and you can go too.
Freshers fair is Friday so have a look around and try and find something that interests you. Not everyone is the clubbing type and there really is something for everyone ( There will be free croissants, pain au chocolat etc on the French society stand😊 and a pic nic on the Downs Saturday )
Depending on the subject you are doing you may be allocated “parents”. If this is the case please do contact them. They volunteer for the role so will be more than happy to help you find your feet.
As @MedMama has said, face time your family. They are just waiting to hear from you but most probably don’t want to invade your space. My D’s in her 3rd year and still contacts me regularly. Unfortunately she’s not back in Bristol yet so can’t big sister you, but if you have a friend doing a gap year why don’t you plan a visit in a few weeks time. That’ll give you something to look forward to.And lastly if you really do continue to feel unhappy then please don’t hesitate to contact the welfare office. They are there for a reason and you will not be alone.
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending