The Student Room Group

they gave me the wrong grade now what

I just got home and checked the grade boundaries for the Unit One Government and Politics exam (AQA) and it says a 47 should be an C mark, which according to my results slip my 47 mark is an E? This put my overall grade as a U but now I know its all wrong idk what to do? Do I call the exam broad or my college??? Like whats the process to challenging a results that you have proof is wrong??
Original post by holly1798
I just got home and checked the grade boundaries for the Unit One Government and Politics exam (AQA) and it says a 47 should be an C mark, which according to my results slip my 47 mark is an E? This put my overall grade as a U but now I know its all wrong idk what to do? Do I call the exam broad or my college??? Like whats the process to challenging a results that you have proof is wrong??

Are you sure you're reading and converting the UMS to UMS? It's very easy to get 47 as your raw mark, assume it's UMS and then compare it to a UMS grade boundary. It's also very easy to read 47 as UMS and then compare it to the raw mark grade boundary. Maybe go and double check?
Original post by Nirgilis
Are you sure you're reading and converting the UMS to UMS? It's very easy to get 47 as your raw mark, assume it's UMS and then compare it to a UMS grade boundary. It's also very easy to read 47 as UMS and then compare it to the raw mark grade boundary. Maybe go and double check?

converting UMS to UMS? thats a new one :lol:
Original post by Mayhem™
converting UMS to UMS? thats a new one :lol:

*Reading UMS on your results sheet and reading the UMS grade boundary in the grade boundary sheets :tongue:

It's so, so easy to confuse raw marks and UMS, and you have to be double sure which ones are being compared to which between the two sheets :facepalm:

:lol:
Reply 4
Original post by Nirgilis

I've just checked the the UMS converter on the AQA website and it's still indicting a C for the Unit One paper, not the E
If you believe its wrong go and talk to your teacher or the exam officer at your school or contact the exam board for clarification.

Your exam officer or teacher can consider whether and support you in asking for a remark.

You will be informed whether you or the school will be responsible for payment.

If the exam board are in error the remark fee is usually refunded.
I've just checked the the UMS converter on the AQA website and it's still indicting a C for the Unit One paper, not the E

If you really do believe it's wrong, then you need to go and see your exams officer in school. They have a direct phone line to the exam board, and will be able to clear it up in 10 minutes :yep: . Go and see them first thing tomorrow :h:
Isn't it raw marks on the exam sheets now???

I think the 47 is your UMS not your raw mark.
Reply 9
Original post by OddFuturez
Isn't it raw marks on the exam sheets now???

That's what I thought! No where on mine or my friend sheets has it told us are UMS marks and none of our tutors told use they were are UMS ones
Reply 10
Original post by Muttley79
I think the 47 is your UMS not your raw mark.

It literally says "MARK" not "UMS"
That's what I thought! No where on mine or my friend sheets has it told us are UMS marks and none of our tutors told use they were are UMS ones

On my class civ it says 74/100 and 64/100, so I'm pretty sure it just raw marks.
The mark on your result slip is usually in UMS, not the raw mark. 47 UMS is an E. On the converter it asks for the raw mark, not the UMS score. I checked for you and 47 UMS is 35 raw marks.

But as said, if you do believe it is the raw mark they have given you then check with your school, but it is probably the UMS.
Reply 13
Original post by OddFuturez
On my class civ it says 74/100 and 64/100, so I'm pretty sure it just raw marks.

That's pretty much mine as well

What does the other paper say? Can you type exactly what it says for this subject.
Reply 15
Original post by LiquidGold
The mark on your result slip is usually in UMS, not the raw mark. 47 UMS is an E. On the converter it asks for the raw mark, not the UMS score. I checked for you and 47 UMS is 35 raw marks.

But as said, if you do believe it is the raw mark they have given you then check with your school, but it is probably the UMS.

As i said before, it says "MARK" nit my UMS and none of my teacher corrected me when I referred to them as marks
As i said before, it says "MARK" nit my UMS and none of my teacher corrected me when I referred to them as marks

Well, people often say 'mark' when actually they mean 'UMS', so that doesnt mean much.Does it just say 'mark'? Or 'mark equivalent' or something? Also I'm pretty sure AQA convert everything into UMS that's why I'm a bit skeptical.

UMS are marks; it's "UMS marks" or "raw marks".

Either it is a raw mark and your teachers have entered it in wrong, or it's a ums mark. The grade is almost certainly not wrong.
Do you add both UMS marks together??? Or is it the raw marks you add together to establish the grade

Quick Reply

Latest