The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham University 2017 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by h3rmit
With Cambridge gone, looks like Durham is my first choice (I applied to UCL but I don't really want to live in London).

Exactly my situation!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by chapmanhau
Exactly my situation!

How come you didn't apply for natural sciences at Durham?

Also, what are your reasons for not wanting to live in London? For me, it's just too busy and expensive
Original post by TIF141
Rejected by Cambridge, so Durham it is! I've got an offer for physics, hopefully at Trevelyan :smile:

We're all in the same position as you
Original post by literaturista
Same here! offer for English :smile:

Original post by h3rmit
With Cambridge gone, looks like Durham is my first choice (I applied to UCL but I don't really want to live in London).

Original post by chapmanhau
Lol I'm in the same position. Rejected today, but doing chemistry at Durham instead :smile:

Glad I've found some others in the same position :smile: what colleges did you apply to? And do you know when they tell us which we've ended up at?
Reply 784
Another Cambridge reject here

Economics

But not sure between UCL vs Durham

Parents say 'UCL is higher in league table, go there'. And as they live there I have the option of free accommodation for years 2 and 3 (will live in first year)

I say I will have a better quality of life in Durham, and closest to the Cambridge experience.

Ironically my dad lived near Durham and does admit the social life is great up north. Klute was good 40 years ago apparently although they appear not to have cleaned or decorated since, which is why it is now students only
Original post by randj
Another Cambridge reject here

Economics

But not sure between UCL vs Durham

Parents say 'UCL is higher in league table, go there'. And as they live there I have the option of free accommodation for years 2 and 3 (will live in first year)

I say I will have a better quality of life in Durham, and closest to the Cambridge experience.

Ironically my dad lived near Durham and does admit the social life is great up north. Klute was good 40 years ago apparently although they appear not to have cleaned or decorated since, which is why it is now students only

Hey, not really sure how to help your dilemma, and I'm really sorry about Cambridge, I'm still waiting to hear. To be honest for the size of the difference in the league table, go where you want to live, as it's not exactly going to impact your prospects negatively.

Durham will be my firm if Cambridge rejects me, it's a really beautiful city, and the collegiate system does a decent job of mirroring the one at Oxbridge. Although I will say it's not exactly a carbon copy, and some of the colleges are a world away from the historical architecture at Cambridge.

Coming from a northerner, I can confirm the social life here is fantastic. Durham city itself, perhaps not so much as it's pretty small after all, but Newcastle is literally like 10 minutes on the train for something ridiculous like a £4 return, and I've heard some seriously wild tales about nights out up there. You have the local scenes like South Shields just outside Newcastle as well. The social life certainly is not the downer some people make it out to be.

I hope wherever you choose to go, you end up vey happy there 😊
Has anyone had an offer to do business and management?
Has anyone had a geography offer since christmas. I feel like I've been waiting for ever!!
Has anyone received an offer for Biology?
So, I've decided to apply to Durham for Classics kind of at the last minute here, but now I'm faced with the colleges. So, I thought I'd ask what colleges y'all chose and why you chose them, and see if they help.
Original post by TIF141
Glad I've found some others in the same position :smile: what colleges did you apply to? And do you know when they tell us which we've ended up at?

St. John's hbu? I think in the email it said that it'll be confirmed by the 1st of March
Reply 791
Original post by phillies21
anyone philosophy/politics?

Got an offer for 3 As for Philosophy 2 days ago and will probably firm it! (still waiting to hear from Edinburgh and St Andrews and have an offer from Exeter)
Also another Cambridge rejectee so seems like the Durham rep really is true from all the others on this thread haha
Reply 792
Anyone debating between Durham and Oxbridge? I had written Cambridge off because I didn't think I had a chance, so became really set on Durham. Having both offers now is a little bitter sweet, really.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by fablereader
So, I've decided to apply to Durham for Classics kind of at the last minute here, but now I'm faced with the colleges. So, I thought I'd ask what colleges y'all chose and why you chose them, and see if they help.

Hi! I applied to University (Castle) because well, it's a castle. It's beautiful, and old, and just generally my favourite haha! The hall is gorgeous, it's traditional, and I like a bit of history in the place where I'm going to study. It's a good location too, right next to the centre of town.

I'll give a bit more context on the rest of the colleges too, as I've spent some time there on summer schools etc.
The ones after Castle that I really like are as follows:

St Chad's: Very pretty, cute and homely, good location. Traditional and historical. It's very small, which doesn't work for everyone, which I know I wouldn't mind, but some do. The gardens are nice. The food can be a bit weird though, apparently it's privately sourced or something like that. Rooms are alright too.

St Mary's: Very pretty, quite like a old fashioned country boarding school. Spacious grounds and a nice view of the Cathedral. Fantastic location for anything taught on the hill. By default, also close to the library. It's the most traditional college on the hill so still has formals etc. However, there's like an 80% chance of sharing a room at some point though because you have to change rooms on a termly basis. College animal is a boar.

Some that I don't like as much, but know a bit about:

Grey's: Very convenient for people taught on the hill. Not exactly pretty, but the accommodation is decent enough. Bathrooms are a bit weird. Food is nice, the hall is nice enough too. I think the percentage for sharing rooms is pretty low, still traditional enough to have formals etc. College animal is a Phoenix, which is pretty cool.

Collingwood: Situated behind Grey's, so again, convenient location. Has a reputation for sporty/ party/ sociable people. Very modern. Really not my scene as I think the buildings etc are really ugly, but all the people I've met from there are nice enough. College animal is a stag. If someone dares you to sit on the statue- don't. The antlers have been broken enough times by drunk students and the college WILL make you pay for it!

Van Mildert: On the hill, pretty modern. Not the nicest looking, so that put me off. Dining hall is massive, nice lights. The food is good and formal hall there is quite nice. I don't think it's very traditional so I doubt they wear gowns there. The rooms are okay, I think one block is ensuite, but the room share percentage is low. The shared showers are weird, they're sort of like cupboard cubicles in the middle of each floor. Some are better than others though. They have a huge lake with ducks, that students there are very defensive of, and its quite cute to see the ducks waddling around. Unsurprisingly, the college mascot is a duck, and I swear Ducks are EVERYWHERE in this college.

Hatfield: On the bailey, traditional. Apparently has a nice dining hall and good food. Decent location. Second oldest and looks sort of pretty. However, I really wasn't keen on the rooms. The decor reminded me of a medieval dungeon which was a little creepy, and the ones we went into over the road were no better. I think they were refurbing at the time so I imagine it's better when students are actually living there. Has a horrific reputation of being full of prep-school kids who are bitter about being rejected from oxbridge. While that's not necessarily true, be prepared for every other college to hate you as a joke, and get a lot of jokes on your behalf. It's just banter, but some people really are not up for that.

Josephine Butler: I've never visited this college, but I know a lot of people really like it because it's the only self catered one, and it's fully ensuite single rooms. I believe it's pretty modern too.

St. Aiden's: This is near to Van Mildert and Trevelyn. I don't know much about it but I will say it's probably further away than some of the other colleges and it's at the top of a bunch of steps.

St Cuthbert's: Again I don't know much about it, but I think this is the one where half the accommodation is new and modern, and the other half is old and on the bailey.

Well that's all I know. Hope this helps! :smile:
Original post by Gold-Confetti
Hi! I applied to University (Castle) because well, it's a castle. It's beautiful, and old, and just generally my favourite haha! The hall is gorgeous, it's traditional, and I like a bit of history in the place where I'm going to study. It's a good location too, right next to the centre of town.

I'll give a bit more context on the rest of the colleges too, as I've spent some time there on summer schools etc.
The ones after Castle that I really like are as follows:

St Chad's: Very pretty, cute and homely, good location. Traditional and historical. It's very small, which doesn't work for everyone, which I know I wouldn't mind, but some do. The gardens are nice. The food can be a bit weird though, apparently it's privately sourced or something like that. Rooms are alright too.

St Mary's: Very pretty, quite like a old fashioned country boarding school. Spacious grounds and a nice view of the Cathedral. Fantastic location for anything taught on the hill. By default, also close to the library. It's the most traditional college on the hill so still has formals etc. However, there's like an 80% chance of sharing a room at some point though because you have to change rooms on a termly basis. College animal is a boar.

Some that I don't like as much, but know a bit about:

Grey's: Very convenient for people taught on the hill. Not exactly pretty, but the accommodation is decent enough. Bathrooms are a bit weird. Food is nice, the hall is nice enough too. I think the percentage for sharing rooms is pretty low, still traditional enough to have formals etc. College animal is a Phoenix, which is pretty cool.

Collingwood: Situated behind Grey's, so again, convenient location. Has a reputation for sporty/ party/ sociable people. Very modern. Really not my scene as I think the buildings etc are really ugly, but all the people I've met from there are nice enough. College animal is a stag. If someone dares you to sit on the statue- don't. The antlers have been broken enough times by drunk students and the college WILL make you pay for it!

Van Mildert: On the hill, pretty modern. Not the nicest looking, so that put me off. Dining hall is massive, nice lights. The food is good and formal hall there is quite nice. I don't think it's very traditional so I doubt they wear gowns there. The rooms are okay, I think one block is ensuite, but the room share percentage is low. The shared showers are weird, they're sort of like cupboard cubicles in the middle of each floor. Some are better than others though. They have a huge lake with ducks, that students there are very defensive of, and its quite cute to see the ducks waddling around. Unsurprisingly, the college mascot is a duck, and I swear Ducks are EVERYWHERE in this college.

Hatfield: On the bailey, traditional. Apparently has a nice dining hall and good food. Decent location. Second oldest and looks sort of pretty. However, I really wasn't keen on the rooms. The decor reminded me of a medieval dungeon which was a little creepy, and the ones we went into over the road were no better. I think they were refurbing at the time so I imagine it's better when students are actually living there. Has a horrific reputation of being full of prep-school kids who are bitter about being rejected from oxbridge. While that's not necessarily true, be prepared for every other college to hate you as a joke, and get a lot of jokes on your behalf. It's just banter, but some people really are not up for that.

Josephine Butler: I've never visited this college, but I know a lot of people really like it because it's the only self catered one, and it's fully ensuite single rooms. I believe it's pretty modern too.

St. Aiden's: This is near to Van Mildert and Trevelyn. I don't know much about it but I will say it's probably further away than some of the other colleges and it's at the top of a bunch of steps.

St Cuthbert's: Again I don't know much about it, but I think this is the one where half the accommodation is new and modern, and the other half is old and on the bailey.

Well that's all I know. Hope this helps! :smile:

Thanks! This does. :smile:
Reply 795
Original post by helenayoumans
Has anyone had an offer to do business and management?

I believe someone did earlier in the thread. I'm waiting for a responce too.
Original post by h3rmit

Same - I feel like London isn't the place to have a uni experience so much as to have a First Proper Job In The City experience. The latter sounds much more fun.

Plus, Durham is a lot cheaper.
Reply 797
Original post by Worriedmum46
Has anyone had a geography offer since christmas. I feel like I've been waiting for ever!!

I applied for BA Geography in mid November and still haven't heard anything but then my friend applied at the same time for the same course and got an offer yesterday!
Original post by zooee
I applied for BA Geography in mid November and still haven't heard anything but then my friend applied at the same time for the same course and got an offer yesterday!

Thanks, I've still not heard - checking daily and hoping to hear something soon. Let's hope we both get offers soon.
Original post by fablereader

Hi @fablereader - welcome to this thread :smile: Nice to see you in a different context than the Oxford students chat. I chose Grey because it's slightly modern, but still quite traditional and it's about a two minute walk from the Law School! Accommodation was also really decent, as was the dining hall.

I also visited Collingwood and basically agree with @Gold-Confetti's assessment: not the best buildings, quite sporty and close to the hill site again. St Mary's was nice on the outside, massive lawn, again close to the hill site. However I wasn't keen, as quite a few of the communal areas were underground and I found it a little dark. Accommodation wasn't the greatest, but okay.

Quick Reply

Latest