The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham University 2017 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
Does anyone know if college allocations come out via post or email?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Wondering if I should take my parents to the offer day in March (planning to go to the march one)

I don't live far from Durham city (and I actually live in country Durham) so cost isn't an issue (will only be doing the day visit) and I'd like to take my mum but don't wanna be the only one (or one of a few) with a parent.
Original post by SteamboatMickey
Wondering if I should take my parents to the offer day in March (planning to go to the march one)

I don't live far from Durham city (and I actually live in country Durham) so cost isn't an issue (will only be doing the day visit) and I'd like to take my mum but don't wanna be the only one (or one of a few) with a parent.

Take them! I know I would if I could but I'm an international so that's simply not possible. Lol don't worry too much about looking like the odd one out, this isn't high school now haha :tongue:

Which day? And maybe, if they come, you can ask them to just be in the area but not hovering over your shoulder or anything.
Getting slightly worried now as applied for Modern Languages in October and still haven't heard anything back?

Anyone heard anything from Modern Languges?!
Reply 1185
Original post by Study_rose
Getting slightly worried now as applied for Modern Languages in October and still haven't heard anything back?

No I STILL haven't heard back for modern languages and I applied around the 10th October:confused: so you're not the only one! I haven't heard anyone get a languages offer yet
Original post by Study_rose

Original post by PJBPJB
No I STILL haven't heard back for modern languages and I applied around the 10th October:confused: so you're not the only one! I haven't heard anyone get a languages offer yet

I applied on October 13th for Chinese Studies, which is part of the Modern Languages department, and received an offer on 1st November. It might take longer for more competitive languages, last year's intake only had 13 students for my course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1187
Original post by AlexBakSik
I applied on October 13th for Chinese Studies, which is part of the Modern Languages department, and received an offer on 1st November. It might take longer for more competitive languages, last year's intake only had 13 students for my course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats! Yeah I'm waiting on history and modern languages as a joint honours degree so I'm expecting to be one of the last to hear back

My mum said she'd come with me so I don't have to take public transport (which would involve a bus and two trains), but she also said that she'd probably go shopping or something and let me explore on my own.
Original post by PJBPJB
Congrats! Yeah I'm waiting on history and modern languages as a joint honours degree so I'm expecting to be one of the last to hear back

I got an (unconditional) offer for history and modern languages on 4th January. I'm on my gap year so have done my exams, that might be why I heard back reasonably early.
Reply 1190
Original post by francais123
I got an (unconditional) offer for history and modern languages on 4th January. I'm on my gap year so have done my exams, that might be why I heard back reasonably early.

Ah well done! Thanks hopefully I'll hear back soon!
Original post by williamsae
They sent out a rejection email with figures on it, exact figures were 1281 and 156. Sorry I didn't mean to come across so bitter! They consider all aspects of the application- grades aren't everything! They even say they choose candidates with 'the greatest merit' in 'independence of thought' and 'non-academic areas'. Have faith, no news is good news at this stage. Good luck amigo!

you didnt sound bitter at all dont worry!!! thank you, fingers crossed :smile:
Original post by PJBPJB

I'm still waiting to hear back for History and Modern languages so don't worry! Annoying they're taking so long tho! Which language did you apply for? :smile:
Reply 1193
Original post by Ellaturney
I'm still waiting to hear back for History and Modern languages so don't worry! Annoying they're taking so long tho! Which language did you apply for? :smile:

Glad to know I'm not the only one! I applied for Spanish, how about you??
Original post by Irwin
History admissions e-mail in 2015, which explained the policy and process in some detail.

Any other sources? As History is one of the most competitive courses at the university, and they're oversubscribed as it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have an offer for English. Does anyone know any statistics from this round of admissions? The number of applicants, etc.....
Reply 1196
Original post by Oh the Byrony!
I have an offer for English. Does anyone know any statistics from this round of admissions? The number of applicants, etc.....

Also for history please.
Original post by Oh the Byrony!

Voted this up because of your display pic. Brilliant
Original post by jct1993
Voted this up because of your display pic. Brilliant

Grazie mille :smile:

I would take my mum. Even if you are the only one with a parent (which you probably won't be) just think of it as a good thing. There may be students there that wanted their parents to go but they just didn't want to. Your mum could provide some useful feedback or questions on the area or accommodation that you wouldn't have thought about (maybe, mine probably wouldn't ask many useful questions "do students have to make their bed?"

Quick Reply

Latest