The Student Room Group

Several questions [help needed]

Hello,I have an extremely huge problem and I do not know how to takle it. Basically I will be moving in to university in September. I tend make sarcastic remarks a lot that are often extremely mean (and I then laugh inside about how astute my remarks are). As you can already tell, it's a case of a fragile personality with deep insecurities. I have been doing this since the beginning of time and people distanced themselves from me however after being in school with them for quite a while they all became used to my sense of humor, my immaturity & my huge ego and I got some extremely close friends. It's really too bad that my 3 only and very close friends were not smart enough to join a top ranked university like me.... .. Kidding, my teacher wrote me a pretty **** reference.

Now anyway.. I was reading about how people don't take that **** in University & they're all a bunch of party animals who love gyming and being part of some fraternity. I am worried that my 'meaness' will scare all of my freshmen buddies off and everyone will avoid me. I really don't want to be that stupid ****ing kid and I am worried it will come off that way. I am not asking for ways to hide off my personality but rather how do I get them to quickly accustom themselves to me, if they're going to be spending their years studying with me. Another question I have is if you list some **** in your medical form (for the university) with your legit form, would you still be able to get your pain meds? Or are they gonna reexamine you and see how you're doing? I know no one will probably know the answer to this but I'd like to try my luck and see!
Original post by alevez2ez
Hello,I have an extremely huge problem and I do not know how to takle it. Basically I will be moving in to university in September. I tend make sarcastic remarks a lot that are often extremely mean (and I then laugh inside about how astute my remarks are). As you can already tell, it's a case of a fragile personality with deep insecurities. I have been doing this since the beginning of time and people distanced themselves from me however after being in school with them for quite a while they all became used to my sense of humor, my immaturity & my huge ego and I got some extremely close friends. It's really too bad that my 3 only and very close friends were not smart enough to join a top ranked university like me.... .. Kidding, my teacher wrote me a pretty **** reference.

Now anyway.. I was reading about how people don't take that **** in University & they're all a bunch of party animals who love gyming and being part of some fraternity. I am worried that my 'meaness' will scare all of my freshmen buddies off and everyone will avoid me. I really don't want to be that stupid ****ing kid and I am worried it will come off that way. I am not asking for ways to hide off my personality but rather how do I get them to quickly accustom themselves to me, if they're going to be spending their years studying with me. Another question I have is if you list some **** in your medical form (for the university) with your legit form, would you still be able to get your pain meds? Or are they gonna reexamine you and see how you're doing? I know no one will probably know the answer to this but I'd like to try my luck and see!

You'd need to register with a new doctors and then get it represcribed for you. And english unis aren't like fraternities i m afraid, not everybody will be a party animal :P
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
You'd need to register with a new doctors and then get it represcribed for you. And english unis aren't like fraternities i m afraid, not everybody will be a party animal :P

That's great because I spite party animals. Your reply, albeit the only one is probably the most useful one that will ever exist on this thread because it answered my question about medication. Thanks Claire,
if you still do the sarcastic remark thing but just less intense like so they know it's only a joke, and don't do it too often, so it'll like wean them into it until they're used to it
Fraternity? Lol this isn't like America mate, things are done differently here.

You'll meet all sorts of people at uni (not my personal experience, I base this off what my older cousins and friends have told me) so there'll be the over-achievers, the party animals, the super studious ones..honestly uni is a place where people walking very different paths come together.

On the sarcasm issue, I'm a 'sensitive person' and have two friends that are blunt and are constantly sarcastic. At first I would get offended but after a while I realised it was all simply banter..but it also helped that my friends told me they were always sarcastic and had no cruel intentions.

So perhaps mention to people your dry sense of humour? Tone it down a bit?
Reply 5
Original post by alevez2ez
Hello,I have an extremely huge problem and I do not know how to takle it. Basically I will be moving in to university in September. I tend make sarcastic remarks... try my luck and see!

I also will be going to uni in September and my policy is to not think about it more than is necessary! The reason for this is you will overthink it, and by the sounds of things you have really started to existentially overthink things.

Relax... The sarcastic remarks thing is something I have come across before and like another poster I got really p****d off with the guy at college who made them constantly. Eventually though we became great friends, and I warmed to his odd sense of humour.

You seem to have a highly Americanised version of Uni in your head of frat parties and ripped frat boys. Just know that people who get to uni may be party animals, but for every party animal there will be others who are not, but realise that they had to get good A-Levels to get where they are like you and so each of them has their boring academic side too- or they wouldn't be there!

Just take some deep breaths and let all your worries go, just go where the wind takes you. When you do that you'll be more free and open and not worry too much about these things.

You need to be yourself otherwise you'll end up being friends with people whos personalities you just simply don't like.

At the end of you degree when you look around and you have even a few good probably life long friends you'll wonder what you ever worried about all those years ago!

Good luck with Uni :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending