The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

Getting to Know Your Tutors & Lecturers: Making the Most of Your Learning Environment

Starting university soon and feel nervous? Wondering about the pressures of studying and exams? Feeling intimidated by the prospect of higher education and if you are good enough? If you answered yes to any of the above, you are in the right place! I and several others felt the same and still do sometimes. Regardless of your chosen degree and subject, these tips can help you get the most out of your course

Be confident in your capabilities and don’t be afraid to approach your professors. They are a keen bunch, especially about their subjects but you do not need to be intimidated when talking to them or asking questions.

Introduce yourself to your personal tutor early in the academic year. Most universities assign you a personal tutor during induction week. They should be your first point of contact and will help you transition from school/college to uni. They are an excellent source for help with picking or understanding assignment topics and helping to develop your CV.

Make a note of your lecturers’ office hours. Many of your supervisors and teachers will hold in-person or online office hours that you can drop into with any questions you have about the course material. Don’t be afraid to approach them, in my experience they are always happy to answer questions. Your lecturers can also point you in the direction of excellent reading resources for their subjects if you ask!

Aim to attend all meetings and seminars or workshops that your lecturers host. These can give you insight into your subjects and is a great place to pick their brain about dissertation ideas, independent projects, forming study groups etc.

As an international student I always benefitted from approaching my tutors and lecturers early on so I could learn better. During my undergraduate degree, I was surprised how different the education system back home and here in the UK was. Talking to my personal tutor helped me identify areas of knowledge that needed additional help and they also helped me track down relevant study resources. Make the most of your uni experience and don’t forget to explore all avenues by asking your teachers for help! Currently I study medicine at Swansea University and still follow these tips!

Ruchika Yadav Swansea Student Ambassador 3rd year Medical Student

Quick Reply

Latest