The Student Room Group

Can you self study A levels? (and do well)

Hi everyone. I go to a state school where the teaching has not been the best throughout GCSE level. I am now moving into A level and am wondering if it is possible to self study my A levels as the teaching may not be up to scratch. Any tips and tricks to help me?

I am wanting to study:
Maths
Further Maths
Economics
Physics
Government and politics

Thank you
I'm self-teaching Maths and it is so much work!! But I was never a natural at the subject back at school :frown:
Reply 2
Original post by kagawa88
Hi everyone. I go to a state school where the teaching has not been the best throughout GCSE level. I am now moving into A level and am wondering if it is possible to self study my A levels as the teaching may not be up to scratch. Any tips and tricks to help me?

I am wanting to study:
Maths
Further Maths
Economics
Physics
Government and politics

Thank you

Make sure that you study throughout the year. I have seen a lot of people on TSR that attempt to self study, but a lot fail because they haven't go anyone nagging them to do the work. If you are attempting to do this completely on your own (it sounds like you're intending to still go to school, but supplement their poor teaching) you still need to work hard during the first part of the year and not just cram before the exams.

Make yourself a timetable and try to stick to it. You will have to be a little bit flexible, but if you find yourself completely ignoring the timetable then you need to try something else.

Quick Reply

Latest