The Student Room Group

Applying for Oxford with AAB?

I didn't really think of Oxford as somewhere of applying to, I never felt that I was really smart enough for it. At GCSE I got 7 A*s and 5 As, which boosted my confidence a lot, and then once at college a few of my teachers started talking to me about how I should definitely strive to go to Oxbridge.

So, I applied for the UNIQ Summer School at Oxford, which some people told me is almost as hard to get into as the uni haha. I was ecstatic to find out that I'd been accepted for the geography summer school! After going I completely fell in love with the uni and community in Oxford.

Then came AS results day. I kind of knew I'd underperformed in maths, I really didn't feel confident at all in the exams. I got an A in geography (with full UMS in the main paper, and 80ish percent in the skills paper), an A in English lit, and a B in maths. I also do economics, but that's a two year course (my teachers predicting me an A*). I'm dropping English because I'm also applying to LSE for a joint honours in Economics and Geography, which you need maths for. I've decided to retake C1 and C2, and should hopefully end up with an A in maths overall. Will this be a massive hinderence to my application for Geography at Oxford?

Thanks in advance :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
'Massive hinderence' is probably an exaggeration. It's true that Oxford is one of the most competitive unis in the UK (even in the world!), but getting a B in a subject at AS won't mean you have no chance of getting in. I think you have to remember that applications are considered holistically, meaning that grades only form one part of your application. If you have good predicted grades, a well written personal statement, a good reference, do well in the admissions test and interview, you'd probably still be given an offer even if you got a B or C at an AS subject.

Essentially, what I'm trying to say is that whilst straight As are always nice to have, you can still definitely get in even if you get a few Bs or a C as long as you do well in other aspects of your application! In any case, go for it, because if you don't you'll never know what would have happened! :smile:

Edit: Also, your GCSE results are VERY GOOD, so don't be put off by one grade that isn't perfect! B is still good after all, and the fact you got As in the other subjects means you'll probably be fine!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by niamh1818
I didn't really think of Oxford as somewhere of applying to, I never felt that I was really smart enough for it. At GCSE I got 7 A*s and 5 As, which boosted my confidence a lot, and then once at college a few of my teachers started talking to me about how I should definitely strive to go to Oxbridge.

So, I applied for the UNIQ Summer School at Oxford, which some people told me is almost as hard to get into as the uni haha. I was ecstatic to find out that I'd been accepted for the geography summer school! After going I completely fell in love with the uni and community in Oxford.

Then came AS results day. I kind of knew I'd underperformed in maths, I really didn't feel confident at all in the exams. I got an A in geography (with full UMS in the main paper, and 80ish percent in the skills paper), an A in English lit, and a B in maths. I also do economics, but that's a two year course (my teachers predicting me an A*). I'm dropping English because I'm also applying to LSE for a joint honours in Economics and Geography, which you need maths for. I've decided to retake C1 and C2, and should hopefully end up with an A in maths overall. Will this be a massive hinderence to my application for Geography at Oxford?

Thanks in advance :smile:

How did you do! please let me know :smile:
Original post by ZedTV
How did you do! please let me know :smile:

4 year old thread, they’re probably completing their masters

Latest