The Student Room Group

i think this is retarded

do you?

i'm a new zealander. i have scottish grandparents. i have lived in the UK on an ancestory visa for 5 years, and this year i'm applying for 'indefinite leave to remain in the uk' meaning i can be here forever without any visas or anything.

i'm not complaining about the blatantly extortionate £800 i have to fork out for the visa. oh no. it's this 'life in the uk' test that i have to take. i have to take a day off work to go to some random computer centre in coventry to take a multiple choice test to prove that i can speak english and know which countries make up the united kingdom.

i mean, seriously. how incredibly stupid. is new zealand really considered to be that alien to the uk?! do they really think i can't speak english, or that i don't know the legal drinking age? to even apply for indefinite leave to remain you have to have lived here for like a billion years, not to mention the fact that i'm on an ancestory visa, meaning uk-ishness is actually in my blood.

Did i mention the fact that i have to pay for this godforsaken soul-draining experience as well?!

does anyone else think this is absolutely mental that i have to do this? it really grinds my gears. i'd like to know whether any of y'all think this is just a stupid governmental ploy to get more money out of my foreign pockets, or if you think it's a legitimate thing for me to have to do.

opinions por favor.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hehe, grinds my gears. But why do you want to stay here in blighty New Zealand is the SEX
Reply 2
well my family lives here, my bf lives here, i'm at uni here etc etc.

nz might be the sex for beaches and good looking people (:biggrin:) but it's pretty rubbish for unis unless you want to study medicine (which i don't).

anyway, i'm here so i want my visa. plus it makes university cheaper - my parents are currently paying like £10,000 a year in tuition, and when i get my visa it will go down to just above £1,000 so i think it's pretty beneficial for them!
have u been paying international rate tuition fees to the last 4 years . . cos then that wud be even more frustating . . . .after u've been granted status to live here , you can pay at UK fees rate. . but u dont have to cos u've already just graduated!!!
Reply 4
i've not graduatedd - i took a year out before starting uni at warwick, then did my first year, and then last year i got offered a placement job so i took a year off my studies, and will be going back in october to start my 2nd year...hopefully at home student rate!
Reply 5
If you think that's bad, there was a solider from Nepal (a Gurkha) who served in the British army for 13 years, won a victoria cross fighting for our country, and was then denied the right to stay in the country as he was dying, due to 'insufficient ties' to the UK. :s:

The system is bizarre.
Reply 6
grace
do you?

i'm a new zealander. i have scottish grandparents. i have lived in the UK on an ancestory visa for 5 years, and this year i'm applying for 'indefinite leave to remain in the uk' meaning i can be here forever without any visas or anything.

i'm not complaining about the blatantly extortionate £800 i have to fork out for the visa. oh no. it's this 'life in the uk' test that i have to take. i have to take a day off work to go to some random computer centre in coventry to take a multiple choice test to prove that i can speak english and know which countries make up the united kingdom.

i mean, seriously. how incredibly stupid. is new zealand really considered to be that alien to the uk?! do they really think i can't speak english, or that i don't know the legal drinking age? to even apply for indefinite leave to remain you have to have lived here for like a billion years, not to mention the fact that i'm on an ancestory visa, meaning uk-ishness is actually in my blood.

Did i mention the fact that i have to pay for this godforsaken soul-draining experience as well?!

does anyone else think this is absolutely mental that i have to do this? it really grinds my gears. i'd like to know whether any of y'all think this is just a stupid governmental ploy to get more money out of my foreign pockets, or if you think it's a legitimate thing for me to have to do.

opinions por favor.

Ouch, i'd probably fail that. :redface:
umm you said 'retarded'
Reply 8
i know, does that prove that i can't speak english :frown:
Reply 9
Isn't it pretty hard to get into New Zealand for us too though?
Reply 10
i have no idea, but i'm pretty much 100% positive that you wouldn't have to prove that you can speak english...

and anyway, it's not like i'm a complete foreigner, i'm on a freakin ancestory visa! my family's from here!
if it will save you money in the long run (cheaper uni fees) whats so bad? ok its an inconvenience but you'll save a lot of money
Maybe the UK has better uni's but aren't you sick of the uk weather?!

I'am going to NZ next summer for a year and can't wait to leave the UK!!
Reply 13
what accent have you got??

:smile:
Reply 14
xX_JIMI_Xx
if it will save you money in the long run (cheaper uni fees) whats so bad? ok its an inconvenience but you'll save a lot of money

i know, but i'm just wondering whether people think it's a silly and unneccessary system? i think anyone living in the UK for five years is going to have a pretty good idea of what life is like here, even if they come from a secluded mountainous village in the sudan and had no prior knowledge of anything english...
Reply 15
sparkler
what accent have you got??

:smile:

a very, very mixed up one :smile:. although some people just think i'm english. some think i sound like a yank, some think i'm welsh. customers at the bar where i work often ask me if i'm czech, swedish or dutch. i've had south african before, although no one has ever, ever guessed new zealand!
Reply 16
I also took a year out so now I can study at uni at home student rate because I've lived in the uk for over 3years. I lived previously for 2years in Republic of Ireland and moved to uk in 2004. But Ireland is not part of uk. People say I have a french accent lol. Living and studying in the uk is expensive for international students, I was told to pay £10800 for just tuition fees per year:frown:
grace
i know, does that prove that i can't speak english :frown:

Indooberably ;console;
Reply 18
grace

I don't believe you!

Do you really know we like drinking tea, or did you just glean these facts off of a website? I don't trust Johnny Foreigner as far as I can throw him, so until he (or she) has sat a Home Office test, I don't think he or she is necessarily able to function here.

Can't be having you lot cluttering up our streets speaking your click-talk and brandishing your spears at us now, can we? And that's the good 'uns that don't end up in the gaol within a week of getting off the boat.

i mean, seriously. how incredibly stupid. is new zealand really considered to be that alien to the uk?!

Any country with a zed in its name sounds suspiciously foreign to me.
Reply 19
count yourself lucky it took my dad over 32years to get his british citizen yet they was happy to take it money (£200 at a time) 4times in space of 22years only last year did he get it, all his sisters born in Barbados are british citizen so are my grandparents, great uncle ect yet my dad came here aged 11 never been out of work since leaving school and was allowed citizen because he didnt have his marriage certificate (now divorced)
few weeks after he got his citizen the test was brought out and he wouldnt have had to go through all the hassle he had to

oh also take in mind he had 4 children(including me) and barbados is run by british queen

Latest

Trending

Trending