Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Private Candidate AQA New Spec Practical Endorsement Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am looking for a centre/school where i can gain practical endorsement for biology and chemistry new spec! Please pm any locals schools you may know of if you don't won't to comment them below! Please comment!!!!!!

Also, can let me know any opinions/previous experiences at campbell harris or london brooks for practicals!

thanks
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

Just quoting in Danny Dorito so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by Danny Dorito)
    x

ReputationRep:
    I am in the same boat as you, need an institution for my a level bio that provides practicals as well.
    Did you find any??

ReputationRep:
    no luck yet! still searching. let me know if you find anything. its soo stressful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zozozo99)
    I am looking for a centre/school where i can gain practical endorsement for biology and chemistry new spec! Please pm any locals schools you may know of if you don't won't to comment them below! Please comment!!!!!!

Also, can let me know any opinions/previous experiences at campbell harris or london brooks for practicals!

thanks
    Pascals college, though I think today is the deadline
    http://www.pascalscollege.co.uk

I have no experience of brooks but there was someone posting here a few days ago that they had let them down with their entries/practicals.

http://www.greenes.org.uk/a-level-science-practicals/ in Oxford

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help. I've seen pascals before but that is very far from me.

Could you expand on the london brooks issue or direct me to the post?

& Oxford is also far

thanks for your help though, appreciate it a lot!

ReputationRep:

thanks
    The AQA website lists schools that accepted private candidates when they called them. This does mean that you have to call the schools themselves to ask if they still do accept private cnadidates. I am also aware that there are companies which offer to do practical endorsments, but they charge an aweful lot of money, between £600 - £2000. From what I have been told, these companies can be found on the internet.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I have rang all the schools on the list in my area plus further but they dont take private candidates for the new Practical endorsement. Only written papers or old spec ISAs/EMPAs.

I have seen two centres online both charging £5000 for me and my sister but we don't know if they are good or not.

Anyways, thank you for your help

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help. I've seen pascals before but that is very far from me.

Could you expand on the london brooks issue or direct me to the post?

& Oxford is also far

thanks for your help though, appreciate it a lot!
    ArtScience was the user who posted the the problem.
    You could send a private message

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I have rang all the schools on the list in my area plus further but they dont take private candidates for the new Practical endorsement. Only written papers or old spec ISAs/EMPAs.

I have seen two centres online both charging £5000 for me and my sister but we don't know if they are good or not.

Anyways, thank you for your help
    (Original post by gdunne42)
    ArtScience was the user who posted the the problem.
    You could send a private message

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Guys you don't even need the endorsement lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emz99)
    You do, you get a U AFAIK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emz99)
    Depends what the reason is for taking the science A level in the first place.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    You do, you get a U AFAIK.
    ????

You are usually so helpful so why comment if you don't know it creates doubt. The Endorsement is independent of the grade. You can get an A* without doing the endorsement. They are though quite useful. You can watch video's on youtube about it though and be fine

ReputationRep:
    Depends what the reason is for taking the science A level in the first place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes I agree with this but forking out £5k is ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emz99)
    Yes I agree with this but forking out £5k is ridiculous.
    If you want to do a science degree it will almost certainly be an offer condition.
    For many top universities it is also a requirement even for non science degrees.
    I don't get why so many people want to do it independently when an A level education is free but I guess they have their reasons.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you want to do a science degree it will almost certainly be an offer condition.
    For many top universities it is also a requirement even for non science degrees.
    I don't get why so many people want to do it independently when an A level education is free but I guess they have their reasons.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How is it a requirement for top universities?

I don't know for science degrees but I really don't see the point for say a finance degree. If you want to be a doctor, chemist, or dentist I understand you need practical exposure. Most people don't do it because centres charge too much and they don't have that sort of money and it is really long especially if self-teaching,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emz99)
    How is it a requirement for top universities?

I don't know for science degrees but I really don't see the point for say a finance degree. If you want to be a doctor, chemist, or dentist I understand you need practical exposure. Most people don't do it because centres charge too much and they don't have that sort of money and it is really long especially if self-teaching,
    Most people do it as part of a free A level they do at school or college.
    I agree it seems superfluous for someone who doesn't intend to study science but I don't set the offer conditions and I can only tell you want I've seen in offers from several top universities already this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emz99)
    ????

You are usually so helpful so why comment if you don't know it creates doubt. The Endorsement is independent of the grade. You can get an A* without doing the endorsement. They are though quite useful. You can watch video's on youtube about it though and be fine
    I'm not 100% sure, but I'm more than 50% sure lol.

You're right, it is independent. But they've made it so you have to pass the practical to be able to pass the full A-level as previously you could fail the practical but still pass the A-level, but then on the other end of the scale you could do very badly in the exams but do well in the coursework to bump up your overall grade.

ReputationRep:
    Most people do it as part of a free A level they do at school or college.
    I agree it seems superfluous for someone who doesn't intend to study science but I don't set the offer conditions and I can only tell you want I've seen in offers from several top universities already this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Top univerities only ask for certain grades unless you can show me otherwise

(Original post by jamestg)
    I'm not 100% sure, but I'm more than 50% sure lol.

You're right, it is independent. But they've made it so you have to pass the practical to be able to pass the full A-level as previously you could fail the practical but still pass the A-level, but then on the other end of the scale you could do very badly in the exams but do well in the coursework to bump up your overall grade.
    No it doesn't boost anything. I am 100% on this topic. Decent if you do it nothing big if you don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emz99)
    Top univerities only ask for certain grades unless you can show me
    I won't be posting examples from offers I've seen but here is are example public statements. Anyone planning to offer reformed A levels without the practical endorsement should check with their prospective uni

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-st...quirements.pdf

https://www.ucas.com/sites/default/f...-statement.pdf

Poll
Which pet is the best?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.