The Student Room Group

Catered v non catered accommodation

Hey guys I'm applying for uni next year. Im just curious whether non catered accommodation makes uni life a bit more harder? Im not the best cooking person but obviously if i had non catered accommodation id learn. Id prefer catered but some of the uni i like only do non catered. Although catered would be more useful its only allowed at most uni in the first year then in second and first you need to cook yourself, so I'm thinking if catered is really worth it. If i really like some of the non catered unit then id obviously choose them but I'm just curious, is non catered accommodation where you have to cook ever an issue? (e.g annoying flatmates, people stealing food, not having enough food). Does it very become tiring when you've came back from a long day at lectures? Thanks.
It's rarely an issue, cooking doesn't take that long especially when most of the time you're chucking something in the oven or a pan for 15-20 minutes. Plus a lot of people find cooking relaxing so if anything it would help with stress, just practice while you're still at home to get yourself into the swing of things and have a few basic dishes in your repertoire.

As for flatmates stealing stuff it's usually only small stuff like a bit of milk, and if you run out of food it's usually a short trip to the shops to sort that out.
Reply 2
Original post by Helloworld_95
It's rarely an issue, cooking doesn't take that long especially when most of the time you're chucking something in the oven or a pan for 15-20 minutes. Plus a lot of people find cooking relaxing so if anything it would help with stress, just practice while you're still at home to get yourself into the swing of things and have a few basic dishes in your repertoire.

As for flatmates stealing stuff it's usually only small stuff like a bit of milk, and if you run out of food it's usually a short trip to the shops to sort that out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending