The Student Room Group

Low ukcat 2017 entry help :(

Just did my ukcat and I'm devastated 😩
VR- 590
QR-520
AR- 560
SJ - Band 1
GCSE - 4A* 5A 1B. predicted grades AAA
6 weeks hospital placement, first aid certificate, volunteer at summer camp for 5 years, work experience at care homes, lots of fundraising for charity, volunteer at local homework club for 2 years,involved in sports
Obviously that's a pretty low ukcat so I've already decided on less ukcat weighted universities like Bristol, Cardiff and Birmingham but need help with a fourth choice. What would my chances of getting into St. Andrews, Aberdeen or Edinburgh be like
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Kimberlychaila
VR- 590
QR-520
AR- 560
SJ - Band 1
6 weeks hospital placement, head girl at my school, first aid certificate, volunteer at summer camp for 5 years, work experience at care homes, lots of fundraising for charity, volunteer at local homework club for 2 years,involved in sports
Obviously that's a pretty low ukcat so I've already decided on less ukcat weighted universities like Bristol, Cardiff and Birmingham but need help with a fourth choice. What would my chances of getting into St. Andrews, Aberdeen or Edinburgh be like

try uea or keele
Thanks

Original post by rehmanator
try uea or keele
Reply 3
Original post by Kimberlychaila
VR- 590
QR-520
AR- 560
SJ - Band 1
6 weeks hospital placement, first aid certificate, volunteer at summer camp for 5 years, work experience at care homes, lots of fundraising for charity, volunteer at local homework club for 2 years,involved in sports

If I was in your position I would DEFOS stay clear of St. Andrews they use cut offs.
Edinburgh and Aberdeen seem good but I would probably go for Aberdeen as you'll have a chance to prove yourself via interview. However, if you think your PS is strong enough go for Edinburgh. I'm afraid this entire process is a huge risk but just stay positive, I know someone who got a low score last year and got into Aberdeen. If things don't go the way you want just remember gap year is still on the cards. All the best lovely, x. I have an average of 617 which is fairly low as well. I'm applying for Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Dundee and Glasgow, I'd say my best chances are at Aberdeen/Dundee but even then, I don't know for sure. Hope you do well. Just make sure it doesn't affect your grades at school.if you get high grades you've got a very decent chance of getting in next time. There's always the possibility of postgrad but I'd recommend taking a gap year brush up your UKCAT technique, gain more experience and you'll be pretty good. You've got this! Don't let TSR user scores throw you off. They're not representative of the full pool of exam takers. Maybe, speak to a career advisor? Although I'd be careful as sometimes they can be incredibly harsh. Just make sure you have a thick skin and keep working towards your dream. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending