The Student Room Group

Is there any point in applying with these predictions?

I want to apply for psychology at a good university and I'm currently in year 13. My UCAS predicted grades are:
Psychology: A
Maths: A
Physics: C

The entry requirements for the universities I want to apply to are:
York: AAA-AAB
Loughborough: AAB
Lincoln: ABB
Bangor: ABB
5th choice undecided.

Because of my predicted C in physics, am I likely to get any offers from these universities? I'm currently really struggling in physics so I can't really persuade my teachers to raise my prediction to a B.
I am willing to put in the work to get a B by next summer, but I am just worried about not receiving any offers because of not meeting any of the entry criteria.
For my fifth choice, I'll probably have to put a university with low entry requirements but the thing is, psychology is quite competitive so the only unis with low requirements are the bad ones which I wouldn't go to even if I got given an unconditional offer from them.

Should I:
(a) Apply to these universities anyway and see what happens.
(b) Apply to universities with lower entry requirements and then go through adjustment when I get better grades than my predictions.
(c) Have a gap year and apply then with my achieved grades.
Absolutely you should still apply to them, AAC is still a very strong set of grades, especially if the C is in a less relevant subject (which it is).

What will probably happen is they will offer you the grades on their website, assuming they like your statement. My friend got offered A*AA from Warwick even though he was only predicted I think AAB. Even if you don't make those grades in the summer, many universities will accept lower grades than their offer if you ring up and ask on results day (if they have space)

Good luck :biggrin:!
Reply 2
Original post by jessyjellytot14
I want to apply for psychology at a good university and I'm currently in year 13. My UCAS predicted grades are:
Psychology: A
Maths: A
Physics: C

The entry requirements for the universities I want to apply to are:
York: AAA-AAB
Loughborough: AAB
Lincoln: ABB
Bangor: ABB
5th choice undecided.

Because of my predicted C in physics, am I likely to get any offers from these universities? I'm currently really struggling in physics so I can't really persuade my teachers to raise my prediction to a B.
I am willing to put in the work to get a B by next summer, but I am just worried about not receiving any offers because of not meeting any of the entry criteria.
For my fifth choice, I'll probably have to put a university with low entry requirements but the thing is, psychology is quite competitive so the only unis with low requirements are the bad ones which I wouldn't go to even if I got given an unconditional offer from them.

Should I:
(a) Apply to these universities anyway and see what happens.
(b) Apply to universities with lower entry requirements and then go through adjustment when I get better grades than my predictions.
(c) Have a gap year and apply then with my achieved grades.

Come to Derby, or failing that Nottingham? http://www.derby.ac.uk/science/psychology/

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/psychology/welcome-to-psychology.aspx

Quick Reply

Latest