The Student Room Group

I dont think ill get any offers

My current predicted grades are ADD. ive just finished my mocks in which I did badly in so i only think one grade will be upped to become ACD, and then my head of sixth form can also up it by one to make it ACC. I dont think any good unis accept this so what do i do because mi very lost. Im trying to apply to computer science or robotics. Im in year 13 and the deadline is the end of jan.
Original post by r.mittra
My current predicted grades are ADD. ive just finished my mocks in which I did badly in so i only think one grade will be upped to become ACD, and then my head of sixth form can also up it by one to make it ACC. I dont think any good unis accept this so what do i do because mi very lost. Im trying to apply to computer science or robotics. Im in year 13 and the deadline is the end of jan.

Your not likely to get into top universities with those grades although it might be worth applying to 1 or 2 universities who are asking for ABB or BBB as they might make reach offers. Sometimes they do and nobody can tell if they will. Often universities accept students with 2 grades below on results day but it is dependent on other students results and whether they will be able to fill their spaces or not.

Another issue will be your Maths grades. For CS this tends to be key and top universities expect grade A at A level. You dont say what grade Maths you are predicted but this will be key. Outside the top 20 or so universities many will accept a GCSE grade rather than A level.

Your options basically are to apply now to a mix of universities asking ABB and lower grades or taking a gap year and applying with actual grades. Top universities are not likely to be in clearing for CS and may well want A*AA and higher and it doesnt appear you are going to achieve that

Consider a gap year.
I have just checked and Reading are looking for ABB with grade 6 gcse Maths so could be worth a try at ACC predictions. Swansea is another option ABB-BBB. Aberystwyth look for BBB-CCC so could be a good option.
Reply 4
Original post by swanseajack1
Your not likely to get into top universities with those grades although it might be worth applying to 1 or 2 universities who are asking for ABB or BBB as they might make reach offers. Sometimes they do and nobody can tell if they will. Often universities accept students with 2 grades below on results day but it is dependent on other students results and whether they will be able to fill their spaces or not.

Another issue will be your Maths grades. For CS this tends to be key and top universities expect grade A at A level. You dont say what grade Maths you are predicted but this will be key. Outside the top 20 or so universities many will accept a GCSE grade rather than A level.

Your options basically are to apply now to a mix of universities asking ABB and lower grades or taking a gap year and applying with actual grades. Top universities are not likely to be in clearing for CS and may well want A*AA and higher and it doesnt appear you are going to achieve that

i had a few ideas in mind, either apply to unis with the current grades with lower requirements, and then use ucas extra as i have mocks in feb which can get my predicted up, do a foundation year, take a gap year then apply or do a degree apprenticeship.
Reply 5
i had a few ideas in mind, either apply to unis with the current grades with lower requirements, and then use ucas extra as i have mocks in feb which can get my predicted up, do a foundation year, take a gap year then apply or do a degree apprenticeship.

i also wonder about queen mary as my school allows me for a contextual offer which makes it BBB

Your predicted grades wont changed once you have applied so forget about getting your predictions up and using them in extra. You could apply using extra but that means rejecting ALL your offeshows trs. Top universities wont be in extra anyway and wont be making offers to your predictions.

Realistically clearing would be a better option or maybe a gap year and reapplying with actual grades next year.

The evidence that predicted grades tend to be over predicted not under predicted. It would be very rare for someone to increase their grades from C and D to A or above. That is something you need to consider when looking at your options.
Reply 7
Original post by swanseajack1
Your predicted grades wont changed once you have applied so forget about getting your predictions up and using them in extra. You could apply using extra but that means rejecting ALL your offeshows trs. Top universities wont be in extra anyway and wont be making offers to your predictions.

Realistically clearing would be a better option or maybe a gap year and reapplying with actual grades next year.

The evidence that predicted grades tend to be over predicted not under predicted. It would be very rare for someone to increase their grades from C and D to A or above. That is something you need to consider when looking at your options.

okay thanks
Hello. Have you looked at apprenticeships? If you have a contextual offer this means you may well be someone who comes from a lower socioeconomic background which means you may be exactly who some employers are looking for.
Do you actually want to spend 3 years going deep into a subject because the costs are enormous and if you aren’t especially academic you may just get enormous debt without benefit (either study pleasure or increased earning power)
Look at higher apprenticeships where you get paid to get a professional qualification. Degrees aren’t everything. Or degree apprenticeships if you want to study which require lower grades but are quite competitive
Or call admissions from unis and explain your circumstances and passion for study if you want to go, and see where to apply. Contextual offers are more generous.
Best of luck.
Reply 9

I would suggest taking a gap year, this way you aren't applying with your predicted grades but rather with your actual grades. When A-Level results day does come and you recieve those grades thats when you could look into uni as you know this is what you have achieved.

You could also see if you could apply this year for unis with UCAS points rather than grades as the A will be worth more points and culd prehaps help you to choose a uni. Places like Nottigham Trent or Worcester accept UCAS points rather than your grades
Solent offer a CS degree if you get between 112-128 UCAS points or you could look at courses with foundation year options the aforementioned solent course https://www.solent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/computer-science-bsc/2024/bsc-hons-computer-science-4-years-with-foundation-year-2024 only requires 48 points so even with ADD you might still be able to get on that course
Reply 11
Thank you all for the suggestions, I spoke to my cs teacher and we made a deal to up my grade to an a if i got an A* in the upcoming test I had and I have manages to get an A* in that said test which means my current predicted are now AAD. I know for a fact that my head of sixth form is able to bump it up one and I'm hoping my maths teacher is able to bump up the D to a C in which my head of sixth form can as well making my overall predicted AAB in which ill be able to apply to my courses. This plan is all on my maths teacher upping it by one other wise ill be on AAC and then will have to do foundation year or a lower uni. I have always been looking at degree apprenticeships as well but i prefer to go to uni as I know for a fact i would struggle being in an apprenticeship while all my friends are at uni.
Hey there,

As far as I see on UCAS calculator, ACC gives you 112 UCAS points. I would advise you to have a look at some university courses with the mentioned amount of points for entry requirements. Maybe you haven't heard about or didn't consider these Computer Science degree courses before :smile:

Here is an example with an entry requirement of 112 UCAS points:
https://www.dmu.ac.uk/study/courses/undergraduate-courses/computer-science-bsc-degree/computer-science-bsc-degree.aspx

Please, let me know if you have any questions,

Ilya
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 13
Hi, just an update my maths teacher bumped it up one to C meaning so can my head of sitxh form meaning i am currently on AAB so i appreciate all the comments, help and feedback
good luck did you look at Brunel london by the way
Reply 15
Original post by snoopadoop
good luck did you look at Brunel london by the way

no i didnt i ended up applying for robotics and mechatronic engineering at queen mary, loughborough, sheffield, birmingham and southampton

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending